Inova X5 on a single RCR123 3.7volt ??

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

I have always wanted and liked the Inova X5 but never got one since it can not run on rechargeables.:(
But could it be possible to run the X5 on a single RCR123 3.7volt? If the output is less, but still comparable to the old BS led X5 (or like a Surefire L2 on low), it might still be a viable option.

Someone has a clue?

Kind regards,
Joris

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried a Ultrafire unprotected 17670 (blue wrapper) in my green and white LED X5's and they work just dandy. The AW cells might fit if you remove the wrapper but are a tick too big stock. Hope that helps. Output was very good BTW.

Any Cal.

Enlightened
I tried my x5 on a 17670, and found output to be considerably less, but easily useable.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
How is the run time and regulation with a single 3.6V cell? Does it simply drop out of regulation and run on :candle:-mode at that low of a voltage?

Any Cal.

Enlightened
While I can not guarantee it, that is how it appears. It would probably run forever like that, as it would be at peak efficiency. I did it just to try it, but I usually just throw old used 123s in it, so the voltage is higher and the light is brighter. Doesn't seem to make much difference though, as the batts don't have too much juice when the P3D is done with them.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
I don't actually own the X5 personally, I gave it with the Tenergy cells and recharger as a gift for my father for a work light, he loves it, has no problems with it at all, cells are easily in and out. It will reduce the run time on the X5 some what but still operates perfectly.

I have also used the 3.0V Tenergy cells in my T3, used them for about 6 months while on duty, and again they worked without a problem and went in without a problem. I recall one was a little tight, but still went in ok.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
My concern would be that "3.0V" li-ion cells are never "3.0V." Under the light load of the X5, you can pretty much bet on them running in the ~3.4V down to ~2.5V range, the lower part of the discharge would be fine, but it's the first part i'd worry about, since CR123s would never really run above right around 3V, and the X5 does not use a true "regulator" as I understand it, it's a simple resistor setup that will likely over-drive the LEDs in the event of higher input voltage than the design calls for.

How much it overdrives them is the real question, this I have no idea, but it would probably be good if someone who is running those 3.0V li-ion cells could take a current reading across the tail-cap on freshly charged cells, and compare that to a current reading across a standard set of CR123s. If it's only slightly higher, then it should be ok, but if it's like 50% higher or more, I'd be concerned about the life of the LEDs.

Eric

Latest posts