No more arch

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awww man, I've never gotten to see that particular arch. :sigh:

But that is a great park... unless you're there in July. I really need to get out to some of those parks in the Southwest when it's not summer. :sick2:

Thanks for the link.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on not being there in the middle of summer. I was at Zion in late June, and though not as bad as the Mojave, it was still hot.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on not being there in the middle of summer. I was at Zion in late June, and though not as bad as the Mojave, it was still hot.

Zion, one of my top 3 fav Nat'l Parks probably, is actually pretty nice (relatively speaking) in summer. Still hot, yes, but you get a lot less direct sunlight in the canyon. Plus you have the river there so mid-day taking a nice dip is a great way to beat the heat. And with th river you have plenty of shade growing around as well.

Arches on the other hand is far less developed, no real rivers to speak of. As a matter of fact the camp ground in Arches only has water because of a water tank that the NPS put out there.

I remember driving into Death Valley once July as well. 8 am and 113 degrees F. :sick2: I didn't stay on that trip.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Arches on the other hand is far less developed, no real rivers to speak of. As a matter of fact the camp ground in Arches only has water because of a water tank that the NPS put out there.

I remember driving into Death Valley once July as well. 8 am and 113 degrees F. :sick2: I didn't stay on that trip."

We were in Baker, CA, and if I recall correctly, the way to Death Valley/parts of the road (Route 127?) is now closed in the summer because it was deemed too dangerous.

I wanted to see Arches as we (my brother and I) went east, but it would have been too far out of the way.

It's sad that there are those who won't be able to see the arch that fell, but maybe it will encourage others who might not have gone to vist the park and enjoy it. :)

cchurchi

Enlightened
I was at wall arch in late may this year. It was a small arch. I still can't believe landscape arch is still around! It looks like it will fall any minute.