Slim form factor 18650 EDC options

bgiddins

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Looking hard at the JETBeam Pro-III ST as an 18650-based EDC... what other 18650 lights are there in this slim form factor that would qualify as a pocketable 18650 EDC? I'm referring to the constant diameter shape, so something like the Fenix TK11 wouldn't qualify, but the Fenix P3D would, if it was optimised for 18650. Basically something that slips discretely into a pocket without lumpy bits!

cheers!

List to date

JETBeam Pro-III ST
Shining Beam L-Mini
TrustFire TR-801
Aurora V6

Last edited:

bgiddins

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! That was one I'd seen before but couldn't find the thread again.

I'll list the lights I can identify in this category in the top post.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Another slim 18650 light I can think of is the TrustFire TR-801 where there are two versions "TrustFire TR-801 Cree Q5-WC 230-Lumen" and "TrustFire TR-801 Cree P4-WC 3-Mode 150-Lumen" and are both regulated, but it has a slight bezel crown.

edit: Looks like you found the TrustFire TR-801. Huh... never really paid attention to the "Aurora V6" before and I found there is a similar "Aurora C6" version.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm loving my Little Mini (did the name officially change to L-Mini?), but I did mod it with a SSC. With the original Cree it wasn't floody enough for me, though still a good light.

I wrote a mini-review of it in case you're interested.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been playing around with a Q5 TR-801. It is a floodier beam than my L-Mini, bigger hotspot but less throw, which works better for most of my needs. It puts out a lot of light, but with little mass to soak it up, it gets hot pretty quick - no problem for extended use on my bike with the forced-air cooling, though. At just over an Amp, it should give around two hours near full output. The quality of assembly is so-so, and I had to take it apart and clean up all of the contacts, tighten the head and tail bits, but then it worked well. All of the parts are nice, glass lense and OP aluminum reflector, reverse clicke, but with a nice feel. Watch out for excess solder keeping a flat ended positive contact from reaching the board, I had to grind off a bit of that, too.

I wanted something more versatile, so I got a "16-mode" driver board for it, which is actually three user interfaces with the second one being just "lo-med-high", and I leave it there. All of the flashing modes are on the other two interfaces. It was an easy swap, and works nice with the drive currents at 70, 370 and 1130 mA. I figure that equals about 30, 6 and 2 hours respectively, depending on your battery. It should be a nice combination of features for night hiking on rough trails using medium most of the time. With the multi-mode board, I found that a sharp rap on the light would change modes, due to too soft of a tailcap spring, which could be a real pain when strapped on a bike handlebar. So I added a large solder blob to the positive on the board and two 8 mm magnets to fully compress the spring (longer batteries may need less). Problem solved. I was a bit worried about the magnets moving, but they can't slide over to the negative with the tall solder blob there, and with no endplay, and a slip of paper in the tube to remove sideplay, nothing budges anymore. Period.

Just keep in mind, especially compared to the Jett III Pro ST on your list, this light is the "poor man's" version. None the less, I like it a lot once I got done "enhancing" it. The L-Mini has a much nicer quality feel to it, and I did nothing to it but put a battery in it to start using it. I am looking real hard at that Jett III Pro ST as well, I like this form factor too. I just hope I have some $$$ left when (if) Fenix finally comes out with it!

Last edited:

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
The description of the floodier and hotspot is what I was hoping for, however if it gets hot where more then a few minutes use can be a problem, then well that can be a problem. My TR-801 order at DX is still pending for a week now even though it is not back ordered like my sku.11074 dropin order.

I do like the Jet-III ST also, however since I already have a Jet-III Pro, I do not really feel like spending the kind of money for a bit slimmer version.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashfirstask?later, remember that ANY light of this form factor drawing over an Amp from an 18650 IS going to get quite warm. If you are carrying it, it is best to grip it full around at the front, to allow your hand to act as an additional heat sink. I only tend to need the high level while walking for momentary bursts, a lower level is fine most of the time. On a bike, I want it all, all of the time, and the convective cooling of the air flowing over the surface of the light keeps things very comforatable.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Well maybe I can use this light for more extended periods outside during the wintertime... as the kind of work I am trying to get into may be outside or in buildings/houses that are not quite finnished or unheated.

Or I may get adventurous and try upgrading it like you did. There is a new slim DIY light host at DX that can handle 18650 and 2xcr123 that looks nice.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, that kit looks pretty nice. Only thing is, it also does not seem to come with the "pill", or the heatsink part to which you would attach the LED and the driver board. That question, as well as the switch, is pending on that page. I think the cost is about the same as my TR-801 mod, even though I did not use the stock board, since I got the Cree Q5 with it. It would not be very attractive if you had to hunt up a pill and/or switch, even with a type III finish.

rainbowbright

Newly Enlightened
I've been playing around with a Q5 TR-801. It is a floodier beam than my L-Mini, bigger hotspot but less throw, which works better for most of my needs. It puts out a lot of light, but with little mass to soak it up, it gets hot pretty quick - no problem for extended use on my bike with the forced-air cooling, though. At just over an Amp, it should give around two hours near full output. The quality of assembly is so-so, and I had to take it apart and clean up all of the contacts, tighten the head and tail bits, but then it worked well. All of the parts are nice, glass lense and OP aluminum reflector, reverse clicke, but with a nice feel. Watch out for excess solder keeping a flat ended positive contact from reaching the board, I had to grind off a bit of that, too.

I wanted something more versatile, so I got a "16-mode" driver board for it, which is actually three user interfaces with the second one being just "lo-med-high", and I leave it there. All of the flashing modes are on the other two interfaces. It was an easy swap, and works nice with the drive currents at 70, 370 and 1130 mA. I figure that equals about 30, 6 and 2 hours respectively, depending on your battery. It should be a nice combination of features for night hiking on rough trails using medium most of the time. With the multi-mode board, I found that a sharp rap on the light would change modes, due to too soft of a tailcap spring, which could be a real pain when strapped on a bike handlebar. So I added a large solder blob to the positive on the board and two 8 mm magnets to fully compress the spring (longer batteries may need less). Problem solved. I was a bit worried about the magnets moving, but they can't slide over to the negative with the tall solder blob there, and with no endplay, and a slip of paper in the tube to remove sideplay, nothing budges anymore. Period.

Just keep in mind, especially compared to the Jett III Pro ST on your list, this light is the "poor man's" version. None the less, I like it a lot once I got done "enhancing" it. The L-Mini has a much nicer quality feel to it, and I did nothing to it but put a battery in it to start using it. I am looking real hard at that Jett III Pro ST as well, I like this form factor too. I just hope I have some $$$ left when (if) Fenix finally comes out with it!

Cool! I wish I could do some mods like that. No way though that I want to get into all that right now since I'm kinda a flashlight rookie. I'd really like something that will work for me out of the box while I get used to this new hobby.

I'm in the same boat as you and intend to do some night bike riding with my new light. Looking right now for a smallish 18650 light. Check out this thread here over on a mtb forum. A couple riders tried out the P7 light. Seems ok so far. Whatcha think?
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=436303

So, I guess I'm narrowing down the field of lights to choose from. Did you consider the P7? I'm in a quandry. So many good lights. I'm still considering the same Cree Q5 light that you have also. Seems like a good deal.