Losing the love for my SF L1

crocodilo

Enlightened
The Surefire L1 Cree still has what I consider the best UI out there, and the whole flashlight is very well constructed (although obscenously large for the 1x123 factor). Being able to use protected 123s on it would be nice, but that's OK.

What's not OK is how ringy it is. I do not remember it being like this when I got it from CPFMarketPlace, but after some time without using it, the beam has artifacts and rings. I'm not a certified white wall hunter, but it does bother me that one of my most expensive flashlights has probably the worst beam in my collection (not considering the particular beam shape, which I do like).

I did drop the light head down once. May this have moved the LED in relation to the TIR Optic? Or am i just imagining things and getting picky as time passes?

My simple Nitecore EX10 just beats the L1 for so much, with higher high, lower low, and a perfect beam. But I still like the L1 for the UI and rugged feeling it gives me. Should I just drop the L1 out of my rotation, is there anything that can be done about this? Opinions are welcome!

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you think that the optic has shifted as a result of it being dropped and the beam quality is now suffering then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't give SureFire a call and arrange to have it returned for repair or replacement.

Whilst the optic does not have beam quality on par with SureFire's reflector models my personal opinion is that the beam quality is more than exceptable, especially given the utility of the beam.

As a Flashaholic one is exposed to the variety of options and alternatives. This can actually confuse due to there being what can be seen as excessive choice, or distract from the more important aspects of our individual flashlight usage.
If the beam is troubling you but the form-factor and UI are great then perhaps a modification from optic to reflector can help satisfy you?
Don's offerings with "Piston Drive" may be worth you exploring?

I hope this helps?
Al

scottaw

Enlightened
Both my Cree L1's have a perfect circle of light, and then some dimmer sidespill, no rings to speak of. You may have done some damage when you dropped it. As far as being big, can't really help you there, i don't edc mine for the same reason, but they're both there ready for emergencies. I fully trust them to work when i really need them to.

afraidofdark

Enlightened
Both my Cree L1's have a perfect circle of light, and then some dimmer sidespill, no rings to speak of.

What he said :grin2: my Cree L1 is the same, perfect. Send yours back and get another. I have older luxIII L1s that have more beam artifacts. But I don't care because they are ... older L1s!

As far as EDC, yes, the L1 (even the smaller Cree L1) isn't ideal for carrying in a pocket, but I think it is perfect for holding on to. It's about as small as you can get and not have to fumble with it to use it/hold it/wave the darn thing around and not have it fly out of your hand.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
No problem here with my L1. Sure there are some rings, but they are not annoying at all. Some of my other lights may be less ringy, but none will out-throw it while still giving as nice amount of spill. Smaller would be better, but I'm still happy.

Geoff

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
No rings on my stock L1 Cree. I'll bet you have a damaged unit from the drop. Another great thing about SF is their warranty! Hope they get you a new one- I bet you'll love it again!

greenLED

Flashaholic
What's not OK is how ringy it is. I do not remember it being like this when I got it from CPFMarketPlace, but after some time without using it, the beam has artifacts and rings. I'm not a certified white wall hunter, but it does bother me that one of my most expensive flashlights has probably the worst beam in my collection (not considering the particular beam shape, which I do like).

I did drop the light head down once. May this have moved the LED in relation to the TIR Optic? Or am i just imagining things and getting picky as time passes?
Define "artifacts and rings", please. I ask because the L1's beam is not as flawless as the beam from a nice reflector. I can see artifacts in the beam of my L1 (not that it matters to me, but if I look for them for long enough I can find them).

I guess there's the chance of the optic being damaged by a drop. However, I've dropped my L1 on everthing from gravel to concrete sidewalks and the beam hasn't changed.

:shrug:

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1 rules in my book....nothing can replace it...except maybe a future/efficient LED but the UI and design, ergonomics cannot be beat. I really think is a classic.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1 rules in my book....nothing can replace it...except maybe a future/efficient LED but the UI and design, ergonomics cannot be beat. I really think is a classic.

I really wish I could say the same for the L1. I love my L1 very much actually, that is until I got the Nitecore Extreme, EX10, and D10 from 4sevens.com. All 3 of them just blows the L1 away.

1) Beam is white on all 3 lights, my L1 has a greenish beam.

2) All 3 has beams that are nice and smooth with a good flood cum throw. The L1 is just too much of a spotlight with circular rings outside the corona.

3) The UI feels secure on the L1 no doubt but the Nitecores allow for user settings in between Low and High which the L1 doesn't have. Very good when low is too low and high is too high.

4) All 3 lights are smaller than the L1 which makes EDC a very easy task. Not that the L1 is that much more difficult to EDC but just that the slightly bigger size gave it's title of EDC away to the Nitecores.

When Surefire decided to incorporate TIR optics into the Outdoorsman series lights like the E1L and E2L, and also the L1, I thought that they may have entered into the wrong direction. Lights like these are meant to be used close range and honestly a good flood light is much better than a good spotlight that throws. I was waiting for the Invictus and Optimus but I somehow felt that they are a little too big, just like my L5 Lumamax. Would have preferred a smaller single celled light instead with a zoom head but maybe I was asking for too much?

Sad to say, the L1 and E1L are just shelf queens now ever since I got the Nitecores. The Nitecores are really my EDC now, especially the D10 which works perfectly and beautifully with rechargeable 3.7V AA. And they are much cheaper than Surefire.

I have finally given up on Surefire after so many years of being their strong supporter and insisting on nothing but Surefires.

Fooboy

Enlightened
The Surefire L1 Cree still has what I consider the best UI out there, and the whole flashlight is very well constructed (although obscenously large for the 1x123 factor). Being able to use protected 123s on it would be nice, but that's OK.

My simple Nitecore EX10 just beats the L1 for so much, with higher high, lower low, and a perfect beam. But I still like the L1 for the UI and rugged feeling it gives me. Should I just drop the L1 out of my rotation, is there anything that can be done about this? Opinions are welcome!

In my opinion there isn't a single light thats perfect for every situation. If in your personal situation you feel the Nitecores fit the bill better, good for you ... sell the L1.

The L1 has it's limitations and it's dominations. Personally its my favorite light; I can't wait for the next gen!

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the EX/D10 series has replaced alot of lights for EDC, not only the L1. That is until the next "super" light comes along. I have a EX10 on the way, I want to try it out, looks like a nice unit. But my ML1's are my standard go to lights anymore along with my 6PL w 17670.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comparing Surefire to Nitecore is like comparing Hummer with Nissan
If my life depended on a light, I know which light I would grab first .... SF
Thats my dimes worth :D

Taepo

Newly Enlightened
Comparing Surefire to Nitecore is like comparing Hummer with Nissan
If my life depended on a light, I know which light I would grab first .... SF
Thats my dimes worth :D

True. But which would you choose for a daily commuter? The "Nissan" will probably be more efficient (in power and space), better performance, newer technology...even if it isn't as 'hardcore offroad' in those life-death situations.

I guess the question is, do you deal with the "Hummer" on a daily basis even though the "Nissan" is better in most aspects....assuming that one day you will need the extra offroad ability when a disaster occurs and you need to tow 10000lbs and drive on a grass median to bypass panic traffic?

Not a perfect analogy - just wanted to show that the analogy goes both ways. Most of us will own both vehicles anyway and use them for appropriate situations.

crocodilo

Enlightened
My EX10 has endured harder and more frequent drops than the L1, with absolutely no damage or breakdown in performance. Everything makes me wonder about SF, nowadays, like the previous poster, even though I still love the L1's UI.

But, as I said before, with a lower low, higher high (yes, it both outspills and outhrows the L1), multiple level choice, small size and price, rechargeable appetite, great runtime and aparently great reliability and resistance, how could I not EDC the EX10?

Yes, it hurts me to leave an expensive reputable brand flashlight in the drawer.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
True. But which would you choose for a daily commuter? The "Nissan" will probably be more efficient (in power and space), better performance, newer technology...even if it isn't as 'hardcore offroad' in those life-death situations.

I guess the question is, do you deal with the "Hummer" on a daily basis even though the "Nissan" is better in most aspects....assuming that one day you will need the extra offroad ability when a disaster occurs and you need to tow 10000lbs and drive on a grass median to bypass panic traffic?

Not a perfect analogy - just wanted to show that the analogy goes both ways. Most of us will own both vehicles anyway and use them for appropriate situations.

Just exactly what I was thinking about! You spoke my heart out.

In my opinion there isn't a single light thats perfect for every situation. If in your personal situation you feel the Nitecores fit the bill better, good for you ... sell the L1.

The L1 has it's limitations and it's dominations. Personally its my favorite light; I can't wait for the next gen!

I was actually thinking of getting Milky to help me do something about the L1 so that it no longer becomes a shelf queen. Still awaiting his reply.

crocodilo

Enlightened
My EX10 has endured harder and more frequent drops than the L1, with absolutely no damage or breakdown in performance. Everything makes me wonder about SF, nowadays, like the previous poster, even though I still love the L1's UI.

Everybody speaks so highly about SF reliability, but as you can see, my own experience puts the Nitecore above SF... A single drop in my L1 seems to have caused a shift in LED or optics and a ringy beam... There goes the Hummer analogy oout the window... YMMV, as always.

Believe me, I would really like to trust and love my SFs!

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
crocodilo stop crying and sent it back to SF so they can fix it. I trust that all my SF lights will work everytime I need them, and I didn't hear you say that the L1 no longer works. I don't really understand all the SF bashing I see on the forum. If your not happy with the L1 just sell it and buy more of the Fenix or Nitecore. What I like about SF is the lifetime warranty they give you, they stand by their product. I bet someone on here will take that L1 off your hands.

Last edited:

crocodilo

Enlightened
1. I don't think anybody is crying or bashing around here. I've been using Surefires since 1999, my lineup includes a round-body 6P, a G2, a C2 and this L1. I have used them during several life critical situations, including deployment in "unstable" countries.

2. I have stated my personal experience regarding the resistance of this one light, and it's current (working) condition. So, yes, I have my doubts about its dependability to maintain top performance.

3. Earlier today I did email Surefire about this issue, and I expect to receive a reply. Since I consider my light to have been abused (dropped), and I am not the original owner, I will not claim any repair under warranty terms, but expect a quote for a fix.

4. I would not sell this light in this condition to anyone but to a modder, under the full understanding and acceptance of current issues, and priced accordingly well below normal value.

5. Some posters on this thread appear to maintain an attitude of blind following of the Surefire brand, regardless of stated facts of different experiences. I work for my money, and expect my investments to deliver, regardless of the logo printed on the side. As mentioned earlier, my subjective evaluation of this model is very positive, i.e., I very much like the beam shape, UI and other characteristics, so my personal feelings still lean to liking this light very much. However, objective facts are indeed getting in the way.

Latest posts