TLE-5EX? maglite help

carnivorouswinds

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to my first ever post on cpf. I should be editing my profile soon.

I have a maglite 3xAA LED as an EDC. I go walking a lot with friends in the dark, and do a lot of camping. This maglite is perfect for me for what I use I'd for. I now want to upgrade the LED to make it brighter. I was thinking about the terralux TLE-5EX but I am not sure that the reflector will fit as the 3xAA is a different shape to the2xAA is there anything you would reccomend for it? also What would you reccomend as a small torch I can throw in my pocket I need one that uses 1 AA battery. which one would be the best, as the price doesent matter.

sorry about the lengthy post and all your help is much appreciated.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: first off. I can guarantee you are going to get multiple people telling you to go with the Nitecore D10 for your single AA light. and its a steal at around $50-60. i know there are better, more expensive ones but the D10 is just a great all around EDC

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah from what I hear The nitecore d10 is the way to go as far as a single double AA. You should look at the fenix L1D and L1T as well though.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
:welcome:

TerraLUX doesn't currently make an upgrade for 3AA MiniMags; the 2AA drop-ins not only wouldn't fit the 3AA head, they also wouldn't accept the higher voltage.

For a 1AA camping light, the Fenix L1D is hard to beat mainly due to its beam profile and accessories. Its beam is a nicely balanced mix of throw and flood that's just right for nature walks at night, and you can buy a diffuser that turns the L1D into a lantern as well.

And it's not a lengthy post if it fits on the screen :thumbsup:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
one more option, I've seen a number of ppl posting very happy reviews of the photon proton's, although personally they don't seem as nice as the nitecore or the fenix's

brucec

Enlightened
I would go for the Fenix L1D Q5. You can always get the 2xAA body (L2D) as well as the 1xCR123 body (P2D). They all use the same head and are pretty much unbeatable for runtimes, especially in medium modes. This is the best choice for out-of-the-box reliability, flexibility, and performance.

The Nitecore D10 is nice, but it is new and still has some potential issues to be worked out. There's probably going to be a bunch of people retorting that remark saying their particular unit(s) are perfect, but the truth of the matter is that there have been lots of returns and initial issues such as emitter afterglow, inductor whine, fogging lenses, and also a recall. If you are lucky or willing to take the time to maintain the D10, you will probably love it. If not, go for the Fenix.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D10 issues are over-blown, imho. I have 3 D10s and have not had a single issue with them. Have not had to do a single thing or tweak with them either. LIke all lights, even the mighty L1D, every light has had various issues, albeit however small. Don't let the minor issues of the few with the D10 put you off at all.

With a great reseller like 4sevens backing the product, there is no need to fear.

I personally prefer the D10 to the L1D, but like I said above both are great lights.

...The Nitecore D10 is nice, but it is new and still has some potential issues to be worked out. There's probably going to be a bunch of people retorting that remark saying their particular unit(s) are perfect, but the truth of the matter is that there have been lots of returns and initial issues such as emitter afterglow, inductor whine, fogging lenses, and also a recall. If you are lucky or willing to take the time to maintain the D10, you will probably love it. If not, go for the Fenix.
I feel that this post is completely unnecessary, and causes FUD among potential buyers who may be put off from a great great light.

Also when you say "lots of returns" do you have quantitative #s? If not I would hesitate to use the word "lots". And there have been NO recall. Not sure where you are getting this from. Absolutely not true. Maybe you're thinking of the LF5XT?? :thinking::shrug:

With regards to inductor whine, that is normal, even for the L1D / L2D at times. Fogging lenses? Happened to a couple of people, including one who used it for torture testing. While this did no harm to the light, 4sevens offered to replace the light at no cost. I'm sure I can make the L1D lens fog up under the right circumstances as well. The D10s require virtually no maintenace. I have not had to do a single thing with any of my 3 D10s. Some choose to clean the lube off and re-lube, but I am lazy and am content with mine out of the box, and they work just fine. No more maintenance than any other light I've used.

Why all the hate for the D10? :thumbsdow

Last edited:

brucec

Enlightened
And there have been NO recall. Not sure where you are getting this from. Absolutely not true.
Why all the hate for the D10? :thumbsdow

I was referring to the recall of the circuit fix they did for the afterglow issue. I don't hate the D10, just don't think it is flawless. Anyway, we digress from the main subject of this thread...

Hi all
NiteCore Tactical Technology Co. LTD accords extremely strict quality standard. Concerning the new and old version circuit, please see following reply, thanks!

1. For the first batch of products, we have got about 3 feedback that there is "glow" issue with the light, i.e. when they turned off the light, it still has some dim light remain. We pay much attention to this issue, our engineers recheck the circuit, and think that it's the electromagnetic induction issue due to the close layout of circuit unit. In order to avoid such issues, we re-design the circuit topology, move some unit to the back of the circuit board, which comes the new version circuit.

2. After we ship the first batch of new circuit products to South Korea, our QC department manager found a potential problem with the new version circuit. When the circuit unit is under SMT, since one of the resistance use comparatively low precision products, which might cause windage in circuit output. Though this potential problem does not affect normal use (that's why we did not find this problem when QC the products), but we finally decide to call back this batch and destroy them.

3. There will be no differences between the new and old version circuits either in capability or function.

Thanks for your attention, and hope you can enjoy our products.:twothumbs

sabre7

Enlightened
Sounds like the mini mag suits your needs just fine, keep it and don't be talked into buying a $50+ light you don't need.

If you simply want to upgrade to LED, the NiteIze 1W upgrade kit is inexpensive and should be all you need. They are available at Walmart, if you don't like it keep the receipt and take it back.

If you are looking for a single AA where money is no object, I'm sure you will get lots of input on ways to spend your money.

NiteIze upgrade info: http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=145

Last edited: