Who is Mr. Bulk? And who is Larry that made the Larrylight?

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am about 2 years new to CPF and have seen or heard of Mr. Bulk and Larrylights, but never heard about or seen the makers.

Are they still around?

have no clue as to who LarryLights is.

own several of Charlie Wong's aka Mr. Bulk lights. Charlie is a custom light maker based in Hawaii. Charlie has his own Forum also called Flashlight Forums.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The famous but extremely limited "Larry light" was made by member tvodrd. These still fetch some very high prices if you can find anyone that will let go of one. They are very well crafted jewels and it is the light on which the Firefly was based with permission I believe from tvodrd (Larry - one of the real good guys here).

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, if my old memory serves me correctly, both the FF3 and CR2 Ion are based on Larrys design and I believed that D Speck and Enrique asked if they could use the design. (I'm thinking that there "may" be other copies, too?)

Larry has made some exquisite designs and also used some "exotic" materials....tungsten comes to mind.

Also recall that Larry's creations have been offered in auctions and were given as gifts to a few that frequent CPF. I have only seen a few that sold on B/S/T.

TVODRD (Larry) has been a long time member and contributor to this forum. His threads are very interesting and technical, which IMO makes for great reading.

jeffb

greenLED

Flashaholic
Larry's one of the best light makers ever, and an awesome all around friend. Quite a few "innovations" in current lights are inspired on his work.

You'll find your share of info on his lights in this thread, and an extensive list of threads I dug up a while back (first posted here, or actually on CPF, before the CPFM was split):

Well... this definitely wasn't my intention, and turned out to be quite an endeavour...
crazy.gif
Here's a list of my favorite threads referring to lights made by tvodrd (or with which he collaborated in, as is the case of the Li14430)

What is a "Larry Light"?
(some philosophical views, as well as straight answers)

The CR123 project:
Apr 2003: A small 123/LS light (Long/pics)

The CR2 project:

Apr. 2003:
A small CR2....(Long!!!)
Aug 2003: CR2 light revisited (long)
Mar 2004: CR2 from scratch LONG! Jul 2004: The CR2 II (Long, Pics!)

The Li14430 project (DougS): (June 2004)
Dec 2003: Li-ion short circuit current Holy sh*t !!
Jun 2004: The Li14430: Lot's O'Lumens; Under 1 inch cubed!
Jun 2004: The Li14430 Project History/Timelime
Jun 2004: The Li14430 project: Li-ion cell safety testing
Jun 2004: The Li14430 light: the electrogeek aspects

Other projects, technical threads:
Oct 2003: Microcan for micro-converter, which was used in:
Nov 2003: The NLS
Mar 2004: Battery contacts
Apr 2004: Turning optics

Pics:
Oct 2004: The 2005 CPF wall calendar
May 2005: Let's see your CR lights

Auctions:
Aug 2004: CPF CR2 II Benefit Raffle- choice of material
Sep 2004: Brass CR2 II Auction
May 2003: CPF Benefit Raffle (or: "How JSB saw the light")
smile.gif

DougS, thanks for providing the electrogeek link. I found the "Holy sh*t!" thread (it was on the electronics section).
tvodrd, thanks for the link to the Aug'04 auction.

cy

Flashaholic
larry lights almost never come up for sale.

combination of reasons why... one is they are such jewels, one cannot bear to let em go... also most larry lights were bestowed as gifts making it yet more likely not to ever be sold.

a larry light is more likely to be given as a gift rather then be up for sale.

Last edited: