Novatac Clip

krizoid

Newly Enlightened
I am having a little trouble finding the answer to my questions in older threads so I guess that means I need to start a new one.

The clip on my 120p clip seems be the "old" style (according to lighthound). When I clip it on my pocket, I have caught the clip several times bending it away from the flashlight body.:ohgeez:

Is the "new" style of Novatac clips any better at preventing this?

Does anyone else make a better clip for the Novatac?:shrug:

I have seen some pictures where people have drilled and tapped screws allowing the addition of bezel up clip. I like the idea, but it requires tools I don't have to accomplish this. Do any CPF members offer this service? I'd be interested to learn more about his option.

Any info would be great.:eek:

Thanks

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
I have the "new" version of the clip on my G2 and it works great very smooth clipping on the pocket, no snags. I was going to buy the "old" one but thought I was going to have the problem you said above. Buy the newer version and you should be back in business.

krizoid

Newly Enlightened
jzmtl,
Just to clarify, you mean cut it off at the last bend on the bezel end of the semicircle?

Also, since I have had to re-bend it a few times, do I need to worry about metal fatigue. I don't know too much about material properties, but I don't want the clip snapping off completely at some point.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes to like this:

dscn1415ks5.jpg

But if you already had to bend it back a few times, definately get new ones.

Elton

Newly Enlightened
sorry to high jack your thread but does anyone have a extra clip they be willing to sell me cheap :D

Ducaticorse

Newly Enlightened
I personally prefer either of the solutions below over either style of "factory" clip for the NovaTac lights.

The 17670 setup has one of Greger's (Burman) Ti lanyard rings. For me, this is a great solution to the issue you describe, as the only thing on the exterior of my pocket is the lanyard itself and the tip of the Ti lanyard ring. Not sure that he still has these, but I think there's a SS version still available thru Lighthound.

The other is one of Chip's (wvaltakis2) custom Ti clips as shown in his sales thread here. This one is in a somewhat unique tiger-striped finish, but they are (were?) also available in plain Ti or other custom ano colors. Chip's sales thread shows the option to run the clip/light in a bezel-up condition as you inquired.

novatac-1.jpg

wvaltakis2

Enlightened
Yup, there's still some available. I'm still in the process of moving so if you want it anodized it will take a few days extra, but a bare clip could go out tomorrow. Glad your clip is working out well Ducaticorse.

~Chip

krizoid

Newly Enlightened
How do the TI clips by wvaltakis2 compare to drilling and tapping for a HDS style clip?

My guess is that with the HDS clip you void the warranty, so it must perform better than the clip by wvaltakis2 or no one would want it. What makes it better?
:confused:

kromeke

Enlightened
My guess is that with the HDS clip you void the warranty, so it must perform better than the clip by wvaltakis2 or no one would want it. What makes it better?
I don't know if it is "better". I did my drill and tap job when alternate clips weren't available. The first Novatac clip was unacceptable to me. I was used to the HDS I have and wanted the Novatac clip to match. I haven't used the newer Novatac clip.

I haven't used the clip by wvaltakis2, so I can't really compare it.

It might be better because it won't turn (spin) on the body (It might not turn if the threaded joints are tight).

sawlight

Enlightened
I would snag and drop my light two or three times a day with the old clip. I got the new version from Lighthound and have snagged it twice? in three months!
The new clip looks like the Ti clip, just shorter. I am VERY happy with it.

Ducaticorse

Newly Enlightened
Forget the clip, those are some cool lanyards! ;)

Warms my heart to see them in action.
Ha! Indeed they are!! Those lights as pictured are literally a "Best of CPF" in action:

-greenLED custom lanyards with GID Cheerios
-PEU bezels
-Bart's Trits
-Sigman's GITD O-Rings
-Burman's Ti Lanyard Ring
-wvaltakis2's Ti clip
-AW's cells

I've got a fun little set of McLegos going together soon that will be much of the same. :thumbsup:

The "new" NovaTac clip can be seen on Lighthound's site here and here. I personally wouldn't call the revised clip just like Chip's fine custom Ti clip, but it's a significant improvement over the original for sure.