18650 light. Need help finding a small one with decent runtimes.

rainbowbright

Newly Enlightened
Let's say you have some 18650 batteries lying around and you need a new flashlight that's not too big and lasts a decent amount of time. What light would you get?

I actually am looking for a small bright light (18650 battery type) that last for around 2 hours. Better than that is gravy! mmm. If I can get something that can do 200 lumens for 2 hours, that's great. If I can get 300 lumens, even better! And if I can get 400 lumens at that runtime, OMG!!!! Sign me up! Anybody with suggestions?
:crazy:

Original post edited: corrected the use of the word "watts" with the correct terminology "lumens".

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Each 18650 battery has 7-8 watt hours each, so 300-400 watt needs quite a few 18650s.

200 lumen at the LED for 2 hours shouldn't be too hard, all you need is around 800 mA to a Cree XR-E Q5, that would make a 2200 mAh battery last 2 hours 45 minutes presuming a 100% efficient driver.

What price range and what size(small for someone could be medium for another)?

Last edited:

rainbowbright

Newly Enlightened
I have a Jetbeam JetPro III IBS and can highly recommend it. Being able to set your own three levels is great. Their new Jetpro III - ST (link below) looks like a great EDC-sized version (now with forward clickie).

http://store.bugoutgearusa.com/jetiiiprost.html

That's a nice find! Unfortunately, it is only rated at 225 lumens at 1.5 hrs. I need at least 2 hours of runtime. :mecry:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each 18650 battery has 7-8 watt each, so 300-400 watt needs quite a few 18650s.

Just to nit-pick, 7 or 8 watt hours. A watt is a measurement of energy delivered in a second, a watt hour is a measurement of capacity.

Gatsby

Enlightened
You might consider a Dereelight CL1H v3.0 (or the new shorter model) - I have the 2SM module which is rated at 1.1amps to the Q5 and will run at that level for 2 hours, and for around 22 on low. I got a 2SM because of the multiple battery options which was a bonus for me, but if you're interested in 18650s only then the digital modules are rated at 1.2 amps to the emitter, but IIRC are rated at 90 minutes. However on the 3 stage you've got a 50% medium setting that will still visually be pretty darn bright.

Great build quality, upgradeable in a variety of manners with different module choices, reflector options, etc... and less than $100.:twothumbs

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Just to nit-pick, 7 or 8 watt hours. A watt is a measurement of energy delivered in a second, a watt hour is a measurement of capacity.
I always forget that. Changed to Watt hours.

rainbowbright, I presume you mean 300 lumen or 400 lumen right? For that kind of output, you are definitely looking a under 2 hours of runtime.

I'm guessing you would like a well regulated 2 hours of 200 lumen output instead of starting at 230 and dimming to under 200 for a good portion of the runtime.

How many 18650s batteries would you like in this light? Also what would you use the light for?

alibaba

Enlightened
That's a nice find! Unfortunately, it is only rated at 225 lumens at 1.5 hrs. I need at least 2 hours of runtime. :mecry:

So just dim it down a bit until you get your 2 hours of runtime right? You'll still be close enough to 200 lumens where your eye probably won't see the difference

rainbowbright

Newly Enlightened
I always forget that. Changed to Watt hours.

rainbowbright, I presume you mean 300 lumen or 400 lumen right? For that kind of output, you are definitely looking a under 2 hours of runtime.

I'm guessing you would like a well regulated 2 hours of 200 lumen output instead of starting at 230 and dimming to under 200 for a good portion of the runtime.

How many 18650s batteries would you like in this light? Also what would you use the light for?

I'm heading out into the woods and it's going to be pitch black. My thinking is that I'd really like to get as bright a light I can. So, the more lumens, the better. However, I know I gotta give up some lumens if I want good runtimes and a smallish form factor. Can you tell me if my wants are realistic?

Basically, I'd like a form factor of a smallish light using a single 18650 battery. So, if I can get the most lumens for a 2 hour runtime, that would be awesome. Gatsby posted a great light that I just looked into.

So far, I am thinking of a light such as a CREE XR-E WC Q5 or one of the newer P7 lights. Those will give me the most lumens in a small size, right?
:shrug:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
P7's tend to run for less than an hour on max. However, limitted to about 1.5A at the start of the run and gradually dropping (v hard to get regulated output with a P7) will give 2 hours of decent light.

1dash1

Enlightened
I'm heading out into the woods and it's going to be pitch black. My thinking is that I'd really like to get as bright a light I can.

Rainbowbright:

If you're headed out into the woods, you can probably get by with a light with much less output than you think. A 100 lumen flashlight that looks sickly weak on a city street will look like a blazing torch in a dark forest. You might think more about color rendition and floodiness, than about intensity.

And don't forget to pack a backup light.

Personally, I haven't found a good, floody 18650 flashlight yet. I have a C1 on order that I plan on mounting an FM34. My expectation is that the combo is going to be too bright for me to use as a primary light, but it'll be okay as a backup.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're headed out into the woods, you can probably get by with a light with much less output than you think. A 100 lumen flashlight that looks sickly weak on a city street will look like a blazing torch in a dark forest. You might think more about color rendition and floodiness, than about intensity.

[/I]

+1

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Out in the darkness lights will seem brighter then they are when there is ambient lighting. 100 lumen is probably more then enough for most uses. You can have a 200 lumen mode for the times when you think you'll need it.

DArklite

Enlightened
If you're an 18650 guy, go with the Dereelight CL1H v3 Q5 with the 3SD module and both SMO and OP reflectors and don't look back.
A bonus: any future LED (bigger, better, brighter) will become a drop-in pill for roughly $30~$35, which adds to the flexibility.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
So just dim it down a bit until you get your 2 hours of runtime right? You'll still be close enough to 200 lumens where your eye probably won't see the difference
Based on one review, the Jet-III Pro ran for 2 hours and 10 minutes on the Max setting at pretty flat runtime so the ST may be much the same. The ST version may get hotter a little more quicker due to the slimmer size though.

rainbowbright

Newly Enlightened
Rainbowbright:

And don't forget to pack a backup light.

Personally, I haven't found a good, floody 18650 flashlight yet. I have a C1 on order that I plan on mounting an FM34. My expectation is that the combo is going to be too bright for me to use as a primary light, but it'll be okay as a backup.

Well, I need BRIGHT! I really have to light up the night. I guess I should've been more specific. I am going out into the woods, but this light is going to find it's use atop my handlebars. I'm going mountain biking, and it's a big safety issue to be able to see. The more visibility I have, the lesser the chance to crash and I will be moving fast.

Throw is somewhat important, but I've got a dedicated light already on my helmet. I'm looking for a somewhat floody light to perch onto the handlebars. I just need a single 18650 to last me 2 hours. I thought the P7 lights could do that.
:confused:

So far, I think I am down to deciding between a Cree XR-E Q5 type of light, or maybe a P7 light. I also like the above recommended Dereelight and Fox lights. Both are kinda pricey though, but at least with the Fox you can use either 1 18650 battery, or alternatively 2 CR123 batteries. I really like that feature. The P7 is supposedly brighter and more afforable, but there are some conflicting reports of low runtimes, so that is concerning. With a MTE P7 light, I really thought I could get 2 hours out of the medium mode, at least.