Surefire KT4 head

ambientmind

Enlightened
Has anyone tried putting a P7 in the KT4 head with the stock reflector yet? I know it will have to be modified, but it looks like one would fit:devil:
Has anyone seen any of the warmer P7 bins available anywhere yet?
Also, whats the best way to get the bezel off? Thanks!:wave:

ambientmind

Enlightened
I did it a while ago.
The results were OK but I didn't keep it assembled for to long due to wanting to use the P7 for another mod

Heres the link...https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/191957

HEAT...is the best way to get the bezel off.

Nice work! :thumbsup: I'll have to try it, maybe I can play with the height of the led to get rid of the donut. What tool did you use to twist the bezel off after heating it? I was thinking of making something like a key, but it might not be worth the time.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did ajdjust the height of the led to try to get rid of a much of the donut hole as possible. I think the reflector just isn't the perfect host. It was a useful beam however.

If you are not afraid of getting a few nicks, a pair of large needle nose plier opened into the groves of the bezel ring can work.
I made a tool using some 1/4" thick flat stock and filed the ends to fit into the grooves. As long as the bezel is heated it seems to do a good job.

ambientmind

Enlightened
I did ajdjust the height of the led to try to get rid of a much of the donut hole as possible. I think the reflector just isn't the perfect host. It was a useful beam however.

If you are not afraid of getting a few nicks, a pair of large needle nose plier opened into the groves of the bezel ring can work.
I made a tool using some 1/4" thick flat stock and filed the ends to fit into the grooves. As long as the bezel is heated it seems to do a good job.

Thanks for the tip! I got the bezel off today with a heatgun and some large pliers like you said. Worked like a charm, and only a couple tiny nicks. I'm hoping to get one of RPMs ti bezels for it anyway when they come out.
I played around a little and this is what I came up with....:whistle:

P1020680copy.jpg

P1020678copy.jpg

Its a reflector for a mag from KD, and an H22A heatsink for a D size mag. It fits almost perfectly! The heatsink fits like a glove just above the threads, and the reflector is the perfect size, it just needs about a 1/8-3/32" spacer between it and the gaskets below the window. or, maybe just an extension on the heatsink to push everything up. I might do a P7, or maybe wait until the MC-E comes out. Anyway, thanks again!

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
DAMN!!!!:eek:

Thats an AWESOME find!!:thumbsup:

I have another KT4 on the way to me.....I may just have to "borrow" your idea.:whistle:

Glad ya got the bezel ring off. I too am looking forward to the M6 bezel rings!:eek:oo:

ambientmind

Enlightened
DAMN!!!!:eek:

Thats an AWESOME find!!:thumbsup:

I have another KT4 on the way to me.....I may just have to "borrow" your idea.:whistle:

Glad ya got the bezel ring off. I too am looking forward to the M6 bezel rings!:eek:oo:

Borrow away! I had good luck with this reflector and a P7 on my last build, I'm tempted to try a smo reflector for some more throw...I'll test it tomorrow if I have time. The diameter of the reflector is almost perfect, there's maybe 1/16" around it on each side. Fits like a glove! Good luck!

ambientmind

Enlightened
after thinking about it, someone with a lathe could easily make a nice heatsink for these heads using the mag reflector. here's a basic idea of what i had in mind, the dimensions are just guesses and a reference for scale. but with some experimenting, i'm sure this could be done!

P7copy.jpg

P7Bcopy.jpg

P7Xcopy.jpg

:faint: i'm drooling already. :rock:

ICUDoc

Enlightened
I've done that, ambientmind- it was not easy as the angle in the heatsink was hard to measure- looks very nice now, though- will post photos later. I should say I did it for 3*R2 Crees, with 27mm McReflectors, not the native Surefire one, but the principle is the same.

Last edited:

ambientmind

Enlightened
I've done that, ambientmind- it was not easy as the angle in the heatsink was hard to measure- looks very nice now, though- will post photos later. I should say I did it for 3*R2 Crees, with 27mm McReflectors, not the native Surefire one, but the pricciple is the same.

I figured the angle of the head would be hard to measure, but I think it would be worth the time to figure out given the P7 and the upcoming MC-E. Using a mag reflector and this heatsink would be an easy upgrade for some people. There aren't really a lot of LED options for the KT4 head, so it would be nice to see some. I'd love to see a pic of your work!