Help choosing a headlamp from Eastern Mountain Sports

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everybody,

I don't really have too much knowledge when it comes to headlamps however I feel that it would be a great addition to my collection so far and be a very useful tool to have.

To make the decision easier, I have a $60 gift card to Eastern Mountain Sports and figure I will use this for a headlamp from them. Here is the lineup of what they offer:

http://www.ems.com/catalog/subcateg...older_id=2534374302160933&bmUID=1218500305270

Can anyone recommend a durable and trustworthy light out of the bunch?

I am really just looking for a light with adjustable modes for in the tent or around the campsite - it doesn't have to be too powerful as I have my surefires for that. Battery type doesn't matter. The only thing I don't want is a battery pack separate from the emitter - I want to keep it pocketable and simple...

Thanks in advance for your help! :thumbsup:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
A friends got a Petzl Tikka Plus from EMS.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_...older_id=2534374302160933&bmUID=1218509008500

She has used it on a few crazy backcountry trips with me. I was kinda against it at first. I mostly use PT headlamps and prefer regulated but this headlamp looked good. It even had a Apex type flashing light to warn against low battery if I remember. Also as stated you are looking for an in camp headlamp with modes. For in camp work non regulated headlamps work very well. This one put off a good amount of light. Almost got one my self last time in EMS but keeping my powder dry for a Fenix LOD.

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
Petzel myo xp. That's where I got mine, it's the best headlamp I think for the money.
85 lumen high mode + 150 lumen boost mode.

High mode only lasts about 1.5-2 hrs or so before it drops down to the medium level. However, if you start it at medium, it's very close to the high, maybe 10% dimmer to my eyes but it'll remain really bright for about 5-6 hours before i even notice that it's dramatically dropping off. The diffuser's great for in camp when I have the headlamp on low and I want to cook or read or something.

Comes with optional 3rd strap (which i never use because its light enough).

The apex pro's almost as bright and even lighter but only lasts about 1.5 hours total on 2 cr123a lithiums, afterwards it gets dim mighty quick. Low lasts 7 hrs but is kinda dim compared to the 5-6 hours you get from the myo xp's medium.

If you want something smaller, the tikka xp's similarly nice.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice all - just realized that online EMS sells some surefires, and, I could always use another surefire :naughty:

Thanks!