NovaTac or Nitecore?

powasky

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking to pick up my first light, and have been looking at both the 120P and the D10. Since the features of the lights seem comparable (except the cool piston system of the D10) I'm mostly worried about build quality. If anyone has both, is there any real winner here? Is there any quality difference between the NEX and the D10? I'm not too concerned about price, so having to throw down a little more wouldn't bother me if the build quality was better.

brucec

Enlightened
+1 on the EX10. Excellent build quality and smaller size. D10 is AA so it isn't a direct comparison with the Novatac. I'm not sure, but I think the EX10 is more efficient than the Novatac too.

cdosrun

Enlightened
Let me throw in my two penneth and confuse you.

I have the EX10 and the Novatac 120P and think they are worlds apart (not least in cost). I like the EX10 but I have had the 120P for about a year and always have it in preference to anything else. The EX10 is the first torch I have carried instead of the Novatac but I still carry the latter unless its size is a problem.

If you want to play and have fun with features, the Novatac is better and it has a much nicer beam (albeit not as throwy) the Nitecore is much smaller, lighter, simpler and cheaper. When I am worried about losing the torch, I take the EX10 because it is cheaper but your opinion is likely to be based on your intended use.

Andrew

Last edited:

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Since the features of the lights seem comparable

?

I hate to rain on the D10 hype parade, but their features are not really comparable at all.

The D10 is a solidly built, simple single mode programmable MCU light with a nice piston drive / twisty. It's deservedly popular as it's really well put together and great value.

The 120P is a highly flexible and versatile multimode programmable MCU light with a huge number of features inherited from the venerable HDS line of torches (eg great UI, perfect artifact free beam, thermal control, extremely low low, strobes, locator, timer off, etc etc etc - do a search on here to find out more) . It's also more than twice the price of the D10. I own two and they're both extremely solid lights with the outstanding build quality you should expect for $130+.

I prefer the D10 for pocket carry because it's slim and small, but the Novatac is IMHO technically the far superior light. Why not just purchase both, true to CPF form...

ambientmind

Enlightened
120P all the way! I have one EX-10 and three 120Ps. I looove the novatac! 4 programmable modes, lots and lots of other options in it (including momentary with memory, my favorite) a much smoother beam, nicer tint, lots of extra parts, and a lifetime warranty! The only thing the nitecore has on it is size. Oh but wait, the novatac has a pocket clip too! So it won't fall out of your pocket like the nitecore will. I have a 120p that i've edc'd for about a year now (one black, one ha-nat), and althrough i've tried lots of others ( bitZ, nitecore ex-10, extreme and DI, fenix, SF, no names, cheapies) i always go back to the novatac. get one and you won't be disappointed! or in true cpf fashion, buy BOTH!

Here's mine:
P1020696copy2.jpg

now do you want one? :devil:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I had both the NovaTac & the Nitecore ... for whatever reason, the Nitecore didn't feel right in my hand - feel is 100% subjective:D The Nitecore came & went within 24 hours time.

Most lights that have the beautiful beam of the NovaTac are north of $200. You can find a near new 120P on B/S/T for around $120. If you want just one multimode light that will last a long time & be custom configurable, the 120P is hard to beat.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you gave both lights in front of a number of people who knew nothing about lights and asked them which was the "better" light.
I would think you would get a 50:50 split.
Build wise, the D10 is sleeker while the Novatac is more utilitarian.
Beam quality, the Novatac wins hands down.
The D10 uses commonly avaliable AA batteries.
The D10 costs $60 the Novatac costs $170
How much can you justify spending on a light ???
By the way I have both lights and the Novatac is my EDC while
the D10 set on low, is used as my "baby" light ..... when I need to check on the baby at night time

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
i miss my 120P already. i got rid of it and got a D10 but now that my D10 is broken i really wish i had my novatac.....

Rat6P

Enlightened
A lot of people seem to speak of the 120P series as if brightness is the most important thing...........its a personal thing thats for sure!

If you are some one who does not really need that extra level that lasts for 35 mins or so. then dont forget to look at the 85 series of novatac. Less than $100 for new one...even the P version.
Great value!

You could get an 85P + a nitecore for the same price or less than most places will sell you a 120P at the moment.

Though as previously said ...they come up on the forums for great prices usually.

Or get all 3, a 120p, 85p and a nitecore

precisionworks

Flashaholic
A lot of people seem to speak of the 120P series as if brightness is the most important thing
Not for me ... four of my lights are brighter & less used ... and my three EDCs are less bright but get used eight hours per day. Beam quality, to me, is much more relevant that total lumens. The 120P has one of the most beautiful & useful beams available anywhere at any price.

How much can you justify spending on a light ???
All that you have, plus a little bit more:eek:

merlocka

Enlightened
If the primary metric is build quality, I don't think the EX10/D10 will disappoint. I have a D10, and have been very impressed with the build quality.

I also like the simplicity of the D10 UI, the only 2 flaws (IMO) are the slightly ringy beam (minor) and the up/down ramping "feature" (annoyance). This level of nit-picking means that just about everything else on the light is spot on.

That said, I personally prefer the Novatac (mine is 85p flavor). If both are within budget, I would select the Novatac without reservation.

Zenster

Enlightened
I've got 'em both and love 'em both, although they are very different lights from each other.

The 120P has what I think is a "better" UI (more capabilities), but the simplicity of the EX10's UI is undisputable. Plus, the beam of the 120P is much better than that of the EX10.

The EX10 is a more "User Friendly" light in that it's simple and easily figured out, plus, it's a teeny little thing which is the other thing that gives it a nod over the 120P.

For my part, it would be great if the 120P could work the exact same way but be the same size as the EX10, then there'd be a "winner".

However, if I had to choose between the two and only keep one, I'd keep the 120P for sure.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If money is not an issue, I also vote for the Novatac. First of all, (most important of all to me), it has a beam that can't be rivaled by the Nitecore's. I have the Novatac p120 and just love it. While I seldom use all of its programmable features, it is nice to know that they are there. I have may light set up the way I like it, and rarely need to make any changes.

You stated that you are most concerned about build quality. Hardly anybody will complain about either light's build quality. However, there there have been more than a few complaints on the forum about the stiffness of the PD switching (sometimes fixed with thinner lubes or thinner piston O-rings; sometimes not); the lack of tactile feedback with the PD of the Ex10 bothered a few. (Recently there have been fewer complaints of this nature with the Nitecores; perhaps there has been better quality control with later batches.)

A few people have complained about the anodizing durability on the Novatacs, (particularly with the black color); most people have not had a problem. (The only reason this is worth mentioning is that Novatac gives a life time warranty on everything EXCEPT the cosmetics.)

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the D10 and the 120T. I prefer the 120T because it has a nicer beam shape for indoor use......but mainly because I did not have to do anything to my 120T to use it reliably, except change the O rings for thinner ones......on the D10; I had to cut down the spring a little, clean the piston surfaces, remove the O ring on the piston, change the O ring around the head for a thinner one.....only then the light was reliable and pleasant to use.

It is easier to use the medium output setting on the 120T than it is on the D10 (too slow)

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Build quality is probably about the same. However, the 120P is tougher because of its potted electronics and possibly because of its thicker walls. However, the nitecore will be brighter for a longer runtime because of its better LED.

If you decide you want something more like the 120P, I suggest waiting for the Ra Clicky. Although it comes from a different company (because Novatac's engineers split off a while ago), it is the updated version of the 120P. Then again, I'm not sure how soon it will be out... (the wait for Ra's first model, the Twisty, was very long)

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though I don't feel they are comparable, I prefer the Novatac over the Nitecore. I prefer the NT's beam quality I also feel the Novatac is a little more robust. I dropped my EX10 and it did not work properly afterwards whereas my Novatac has been dropped and banged around with no issues. It may have been a fluke that my EX10 fell at just the right angle to affect the inner workings but it still bugs me that one fall from 4 feet would do this to a light. If money is not an object I agree with the the previous poster and look into the Ra Clicky.