Help me choose a Fenix

Albinoni

Banned
I'm tossing up at either getting a Fenix P1D or P2D for myself/collection and out of these two is there really much of a difference.

Q's

1. Out of the two on a personal preference point of view which do you
prefer ?

2. I believe they are almost the same torch apart that the P2D is slightly
longer and has a tail clickie, where as the P1D is twist and slightly shorter.

3. They both use CR123A type battery?

4. They both use the same Cree LED?

If I were to assume buy the P1D which one would you highly reccomend, as
I do believe there are some slightly more $$$ than others and as far as I know some of the earlier ones were fitted with Luxeon LED's.

I think the best P1D is the Fenix P1D CE Prenium Q5 LED

Forgot to ask but does 4Sevens offer Free Shipping worldwide ?

Last edited:

brucec

Enlightened
If size is the most important, the P1D. However, I personally find the P2D much nicer to use. The reason is that you have to rapidly twist on-off the P1D head to cycle through the many modes. It is much easier to cycle the P2D with the reverse clickie. Also, the P2D head is compatible with the L1D & L2D bodies should the urge to use the 1xAA or 2xAA format strike you.

4sevens is free worldwide shipping, by the way.

Niconical

Enlightened
I would suggest the P1D Q5.

Small, tough, reliable twisty. Very bright.

It was my first quality light.
Still would be if a family member hadn't taken a shine (excuse the pun) to it.

Excellent choice :)

Albinoni

Banned
If size is the most important, the P1D. However, I personally find the P2D much nicer to use. The reason is that you have to rapidly twist on-off the P1D head to cycle through the many modes. It is much easier to cycle the P2D with the reverse clickie. Also, the P2D head is compatible with the L1D & L2D bodies should the urge to use the 1xAA or 2xAA format strike you.

Ok thanks for the info. But is it possible to just buy the L1D or L2D bodies by themselves and use the P2D head on it and if I do so with 2xAA batts does this give me more lumens?

Albinoni

Banned
I would suggest the P1D Q5.

Small, tough, reliable twisty. Very bright.

It was my first quality light.
Still would be if a family member hadn't taken a shine (excuse the pun) to it.

Excellent choice :)

I suppose its gone bye bye !!!! Will you buy another one for yourself and this time put it in a Fort Knox safe. Also can you use RCR123A's in this torch, I'm sure you can.

Niconical

Enlightened
Yes, you can buy both L1D and L2D bodies separately.
I know - check my sig line :)

As for runtime, it does of course depend on which AA batteries you use.
With rechargeable ones in the L2D it gives you much longer runtime.
Alkalines (disposable single use batteries) will work fine, but only really at the low and medium settings, and just about on high. Turbo on the P2/L1/L2 with alkalines will be near useless.

The 2 x AA format does also give you very good options for finding batteries, as at a push you could use any old cheapy batteries found almost anywhere, and still get great runtime and brightness on medium.

Niconical

Enlightened
I suppose its gone bye bye !!!! Will you buy another one for yourself and this time put it in a Fort Knox safe. Also can you use RCR123A's in this torch, I'm sure you can.

Yes, you can use rechargeable RCR123A, but due to their higher voltage compared to primary (disposable) batteries, the lower settings won't work.

Think of it this way. I don't have a P1D Q5 now, and I'm not buying one. I do have a P2D Q5 with L1D/L2D bodies. However, if someone took away all my lights (shudder) and said you can choose one light, any light, and it's the only one you can have for 12 months, the P1D Q5 would be on a shortlist of about 3 or 4 to choose from for that year.

sabre7

Enlightened
I'm tossing up at either getting a Fenix P1D or P2D for myself/collection and out of these two is there really much of a difference.

Q's

1. Out of the two on a personal preference point of view which do you
prefer ?

2. I believe they are almost the same torch apart that the P2D is slightly
longer and has a tail clickie, where as the P1D is twist and slightly shorter.

3. They both use CR123A type battery?

4. They both use the same Cree LED?

If I were to assume buy the P1D which one would you highly reccomend, as
I do believe there are some slightly more $$$ than others and as far as I know some of the earlier ones were fitted with Luxeon LED's.

I think the best P1D is the Fenix P1D CE Prenium Q5 LED

Forgot to ask but does 4Sevens offer Free Shipping worldwide ?

Is it easier for you to post those questions here rather than look them up yourself on 4Sevens website?

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok thanks for the info. But is it possible to just buy the L1D or L2D bodies by themselves and use the P2D head on it and if I do so with 2xAA batts does this give me more lumens?
Yes as they are all (P2D, L1D, L2D) compatable.
Brightness however is the same with one CR123a as it is with 2xAA. Using one AA will not give you as much light as 2xAA or one CR123a.

ledpimp

Newly Enlightened
I just got my P2D yesterday and colour me impressed, such a small package yet so many functions. The main reason I stayed away from the P1 was because of the twist head, I personally like push button.

Budman231

Enlightened
I have both the Fenix P2D and the Nitecore EX10. The P2D-R100 has a flawless beam. It is an awesome light with 2 exceptions... The low is not low at all. It totally ruins your night vision. The light has no knurling but certainly not a show stopper.

The EX10 is very nice also, but not a huge CREE fan due to the ringy beam. The low is very low and perfect in my mind. The ramping is great at any light level in between. Only down side to the EX10 is the piston is very stiff to push, and the CREE in my opinion.

If I had to choose only one, the EX10 would be my choice do to the knurling and low low.

Bud

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
P1D-CE Q5, by far....that is the fenix light i believe everyone should have.

Crenshaw

Lane

Newly Enlightened

X's 2
:thumbsup:
The P2D fits nicely on your belt, key chain or in a pocket. A nice light indeed!

Latest posts