Huntlight with P7 module

shakeylegs

Enlightened
HuntlightP7-1.jpg

I've always thought of the beam thrown by my Huntlight as the most perfect of all my lights. And as emitters have improved, I've resisted modding the P60 module for fear of damaging the electronics, and worse, destroying the beautiful beam. Because Huntlight never offered an upgrade, and standard P60 modules are not a perfect fit for the oddball Huntlight bore, I've continued to use the Huntlight as is.

When the P7 came out however, I couldn't resist the temptation to upgrade the Huntlight. Rather than destroy the stock P4 Cree Module, I picked up an emitterless P60 module from Kai
KaiP60emitterlessmoduleJPG.jpg
added a P7 emitter and one of Kai's direct drive multi-level drivers
KaiP7Driver.jpg
then found a way to make the whole thing fit snuggly into the Huntlight's wide barrel.
HuntlightP7modulewrap.jpg

HuntlightP7modulefittedtosleeve.jpg

The copper sleeve is a copper pipe endcap opened up and shortened
HuntlightP7modsleeveclose.jpg
To achieve a snug fit with the P60 body, I used a couple wraps of a copper tape (snail tape) with a thin adhesive backing
HuntlightP7modwrapclose.jpg

The resulting beam is impressive, if not quite as beautiful as the original. The fence is about 25 feet, the house about 35 feet.
HuntlightP7.jpg

Here are some comparison beamshots:
5 Cree Q5 Elephant 2
1DMag.jpg

P7 1D Mag with Kai's P7 reflector
P71DMagKDreflector.jpg

Ultrafire C2 HAIII with P7 and stock reflector
P7UltrafireC2HAIIIstockreflector.jpg

Seoul SSCP4 1D Mag with stock reflector
SSCP41DMag.jpg

This little light packs a huge punch - a wall of light similar to a multi-cree, has multiple modes, and fits comfortably in most any pocket. The smooth reflector reveals a little of the 4 die "cross" but in practical use it's not noticeable. I still have the original Huntlight P60 module, but this P7 mod is going to get a lot of everyday use.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a great mod! I love the 'everyday' mods that other people can repeat with household tools, as it makes it possible for more people to start to mod their lights.
Stefan

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Hi Stefan,
As added encouragement to other novice modders, I have to say that my mod skills and tools are very basic and yet I've achieved some very usable results. By the way, thanks for all your mod posts, they have helped and encouraged me, especially your post of netkidz P7 driver. Great work!