Standard Arc AAA or LE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a difference, but in my opinion the Standard Arc-AAA is the way to go. It is the 'bang for the buck' winner. Lots of dealers have the standard for cheap just check the dealers forum and/or click on some banner ads. County Comm and Texas Tactical Supply immediately come to mind but others may have better deals.

Pat

RewopEldnac

Newly Enlightened
oopsss...
sorry, the weekend special was for april 12th and 13th. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had an LE, compared it to my photon II. the photon was brighter, i sold the LE.

if you want the arc get the standard. if you want compact and lightweight, get the photon. cost is half.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
tkl, my first LE is brighter than both of my Photons (II and III) and throws better with a good sized and more concentrated halo. Maybe you got a bad one. My second one has a slightly more recessed LED but I haven't compared the two side by side yet. I'll let you know how it goes after tonight.

I actually like the greener tint to the LE better than the blue tint of the standard it gives the illusion of a brighter light though I doubt it could be that much brighter than the standard.

I have a Turquoise AAA coming from Chris at Meridian. Do you guys think I'll like it?

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Photon III doesn't even begin to compare with the Arc AAA LE. I don't see how your photon was better, tkl. Maybe you should try your luck again with another AAA.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm, i posted on this a while back and nobody said anything about getting a bum LE.

i did get a standard for the wife and it was about as bright as my photon II. but it's worn down some from use.

i just don't see the big deal with the ARC AAA. it has cool factor but that's where it stops. the photon costs less, is brighter(or as bright) and weighs nothing. the photon also has lithium cells which will perform better in cold.

before anybody posts it, i have no problem finding or replacing my lithium coin cells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The brightness of all these LED's is on the average about the same. From unit to unit, they vary. The Arc AAA LE's LED is selected for color temperature but is about the same brightness as a regular AAA, from what I understand. The advantage of the AAA vs the Photon is greater durability and use of standard AAA batteries (cheaper than lithium if you use the light enough to care). You can even use a rechargeable.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right about the Photon Lithium coin batteries tkl, they can be found easily and probably last longer and are easier to carry, but try changing them in the dark or low light without losing the screws on the II's and the thin little cap on the III's, not to mention having to have a screwdriver in the first place. Speaking of which I bought a great little Husky electronics screwdriver with reversable hex bits that store in the handle for $6 today at Home Cheapo very compact and great for glasses electronics and Photons. Photons aren't waterproof either.

Well, I just tested again. Photons II and III same level of brightness with similar hotspots. Both LE's are slightly brighter than Photons in the hotspot and significantly brighter and more defined flood in the halo (due to reflective recess). The main thing is older LE (slightly off center with protruding LED) has broader flood and tighter hotspot than the new LE (or Premium, slightly more recessed LED) it has a slightly broader hotspot with a slight ring and tighter but well shaped and just slightly brighter flood area. Wish I could show you pictures,and I wish QC was more consistent on the AAA's

In my opinion the Arc LE is just a little brighter but emits more usable light (due to the reflective cone) than the Photon. I really do love my AAA LE's.

Later,

paulr

Flashaholic
What I found with Photons is they go intermittent after a while when the LED leads lose their springiness. They can even start staying on all the time, draining the batteries. I just bought an Arc AAA and hope it won't develop similar problems.

I don't think Photons are really worth it any more. A non-flashaholic wanting a keychain light can get a cheap Photon knockoff for $3.00 at Walgreens ($1.00 at Countycomm) and just replace it when the batteries start running down. We're talking about a light that would normally get used a few minutes a week at the most, after all. The batteries should last for years.

Blikbok

Enlightened
That's what turned me on to the Arc AAA and CMG Infinity style lights. My old Inova coin-cell was $10. My first CMG was $15.

onelight

Enlightened
My aaa le has a much smoother whiter beam than my standard aaa . The arc aaa lights will burn brighter longer than the coin cell lights,coin cells seem to dim quite a bit in the first 20 min. The lithium cells may be brighter for the first few minutes but not for long,the only advantage they seem to have is shelf life & size. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

llvo

Enlightened
You're investing on the finish of the light for the LE
The LED is about the same comparing to standard.

Im my case, the standard's LED beat my LE up.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not true about the finish, Peter has switched to HA III finish for all the AAA models standard and premium. What you pay extra for is the hand selection for brightness and whiteness of tint of the Nichia LED's as I said before they are brighter and closer to white than the blueish standard, a slight greenish. I think it's worth the bread as mine light up like champs when the apartment is dark. AAA is small enough to wear comfortably aroung my neck all day and the CMG is a little to fat and heavy.

Later,

Gman

Enlightened
Thankx for the opinions guys. I found a great price for the LE, way below everyone else, from an advertiser on this forum. Unfortunately, he does not seem to respond to queries. Guess my bux will have to go elsewhere.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Well, you all did it. I ordered an Arc AAA standard about three hours ago. I've got the PT Aurora which uses 3xAAA and it always leaves one over. Now I have someplace to put it, I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.