$115 to spend on Surefires at EMS - but which one??

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all,

Wound up having a $115 credit at Eastern Mountain Sports and initially wanted to get a headlamp but then discovered, much to my absolute happiness, they carry Surefires!

Not that I need a new light at all (my lights are in my sig) but I was thinking an E2L might round out my collection nicely and is a great BOB light I can just forget about - or I could get another E1B or E2DL but do I really need two? Lastly, I was thinking of maybe getting a couple of G2s as P60 hosts... This is a tough call!

Anyway, what do you guys think? How would you spend the $115? (I don't mind throwing in the extra $ for the E2L/E2DL)

They carry:
-G2
-E1L
-E2L
-E1B
-E2DL
-SF BATTERIES

Thanks, as always, for your input!

zven

Enlightened
If it were me, I'd go for the E2DL, but that's because I don't have one yet. If I did, I'd probably go for the E2L, if it was the single-level Cree version. If it was the two-level version, it'd be a tough call between that and the E2DL; the E2DL has a low that could serve just as well as the E2L in an emergency, and has a much more impressive high, but the high would get much better runtime in the E2L.

Tough choice. You can't go wrong with any of those, I'd say. Could just pick a model out of a hat or something...

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
I have the E2DL and I'm very fond of it, so I'd be inclined to buy another one to have around. However, since you have one, I'd say do the E2L. The dual output sounds ideal for doing taskwork around the house or outside (when a total HO light's not necessary, like your Malkoff or the E2DL), and it's non crenelated bezel will lend itself to carrying comfortably when the E2DL can't go and you need a nice LED light.

You can't go wrong with any of the options, but you really can't go wrong with the E2L.

Last edited:

H2Orower

Enlightened
Based on what you already own, I say E2L.

BTW, thanks again for the heads up about EMS. I saw your post over on the MP and will be checking out my beautiful tax free New Hampshire store today. :wave:

Last edited:

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to break from the others and suggest the multiple G2's, as your SF collection would be a little redundant if you got the others. For emergency use, you could stash them all over, and one in your BOB, with drop ins of your choosing. One at work, one in the car, and a few around the home would cover wherever you are 90% of the time.

Fooboy

Enlightened
E2L = utility / emergency light
E2DL = special purpose self defense light.

I'd pick E2L.

Why? While not as "cool" as the E2DL, the E2L is a better all purpose light. E2DL is a little large to EDC and it has the teeth which are not good for clothes.

Also, TO ME ... 120 for 1.5+ hours isn't better than 60 lumens for 5+ hours (in regulation). Doubling lumens only appear marginally brighter. Take two sixty lumen lights and shine them at the wall = 120 lumens. Turn one off ... and there is the difference. Noticable but not amazing in my opinion. The extra lumens will help the E2DL will throw better through.

So what do you want it for? If you have some good utility lights and want a "self defense light"; then get E2DL.

YMMV.

isneyk

Newly Enlightened
how 'bout we narrow it down; remove the E2DL & E1B since you already have them.

E1L - 3/45 lm; this will be up to you as its just a smaller E2L. with a $100 pricetag is it worth it? you can have a smaller, lighter & cheaper flashlight with almost the same outputs. with regards to size maybe your better off with your E1B?

E2L - 3/60 lm; i think this is a better choice but its $129? you already have a couple of two levels in your line up iirc.

G2L - 80 lm - would be a nice too. on winter, it may be nice to hold a light w/c isn't as cold as the aluminums. at $65 you still have $50 for batteries.

these are just some points i will be thinkin' about if i was in your shoes.
i would want a line up that is not redundant, but that's just me.
it'll really depend on your wants &/or needs.
I'm completely with you on SF's.
now, i pass the ball back to you, what are you gonna get?:popcorn:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on what you already own, I say E2L.

BTW, thanks again for the heads up about EMS. I saw your post over on the MP and will be checking out my beautiful tax free New Hampshire store today. :wave:

No problem - just noticed that they have an online promotion of where you spend $125 and get free shipping and $25 "gear bucks" through 8/26...

And many thanks to YOU, your pic was the first I saw of the E1B with a Z68 - I followed suit and cannot be happier!

Now to just decide between an E2L or 2 G2 incans (for my Ms) and batteries... I feel blessed that this is my biggest problem I have to deal with.

H2Orower

Enlightened
Bummer... Just returned from my local EMS store and there are no Surefires to be found. Oh well, it's probably just as well. That's one less opportunity for temptation. :naughty:

Bullfrog - glad to see that you're enjoying the E1B with Z68.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright! Thanks everybody for the help - I wound up going for the E2L. It seems like the PERFECT bob/disaster kit light.

Turns out that I'll also get a $25 gift card which means, drum roll... I will turn around and use that to buy a G2 as a P60 host!

Its nice how things work out :naughty:

Thanks again!

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bummer... Just returned from my local EMS store and there are no Surefires to be found. Oh well, it's probably just as well. That's one less opportunity for temptation. :naughty:

Thats too bad - I know that surefire "hunting letdown" feeling all too well.

Do they normally stock them? I called the EMS here in the city and they said that they usually can't keep them on the shelves...

H2Orower

Enlightened
Thats too bad - I know that surefire "hunting letdown" feeling all too well.

Do they normally stock them? I called the EMS here in the city and they said that they usually can't keep them on the shelves...

I don't think they ever stock them in this store. The worker I asked had no clue what Surefire was and just pointed to the rack with the few lights they did have. That's OK. Like I said, it's just as well. I've got plenty of other SF sources.:)

Enjoy your new E2L.

Last edited:

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
Excellent choice! You can't beat getting the G2 for a host, too! It seems you can never have too many G2's in your diet for a good utility light.

mdocod

Flashaholic
nice!

I think personally, looking at your well rounded collection, I'd be tempted to do the multiple G2 idea as backups and loaners in emergency situations, and pick up a few lower output high efficiency LED drop-ins for em (like a Q5 but a 1W setup) at some point in the future.

Their all nice so you can't really go wrong anyways, lol.

Eric

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Carrot - can't wait for it to come!

SoHo stocks the G2 and E1L - I was in there a few days ago and they said they expect a shipment in about a week... They sell out quick!