I HATE Lanyard Clasps

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
In particular the Surefire Lobster Claw type.

I've had LOTS of trouble in the past with the claw coming undone and allowing my lights to fall. Not a big deal unless you are riding your bike with your pricey M6 with a triple P7 head on it and it falls head first for the second time in two weeks and cracks the window:mad::sick2::thumbsdow
I should have learned the first 10-15 times it happened. I stopped using lanyards for a while, but the other night I went through some old stuff and found them and decided to try 'em out again...forgetting about what has happened before.:ohgeez:

They are fine for SMALL things, but I advise never to use the Claw type while around a potentially light destoying or losing situation. I'm going to refinish all my lanyards with small hoop rings to avoid this kind of crap happening yet again in the future.

So to finish my rant.....

:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:mad:...I HATE SUREFIRE LANYARD CLASPS!!.... (for flashlight use):mad::thumbsdow:thumbsdow

Last edited:

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
have you found an alternative to the claws? maybe a trip to hardware stores may yeild a gold mine.

for lights with lanyard loops of at least 3millimeters, there is a threaded 'carabina' only that the only moveable part is a short section that locked & stayed closed firmly.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I HATE SUREFIRE LANYARD CLASPS!!
The SF lanyard itself, and the steel ring that fits between the tailcap & the battery tube, are nicely made. Those are the parts I use ... all the clasps go into the circular file.

Wayne sells the McGizmo Ti clasps, and I've heard no complaints about them.

t_Ti-26mm-rule.jpg

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to cruise into an REI or similar, and have a look at their carabiner selections. I prefer the wire-gate and Auto-lock types myself. :thumbsup:

Edit: Yeah, the McGizmo's are nice too :D

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to agree, I've lost 3 lanyards so far (luckily no lights); after the third I wised up and I won't use them now.
Split rings if I must (because of puny holes), but straight 550 cord, locking wire rings, and ti mini-biners have performed far better.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
CountyComm has a product called a a stainless steel screw link. It's basically a caribiner but with a screw-clasp instead of the springy hinged thing. I know they're not unique to CountyComm, you can get them at Lowes in various sizes and while they may be more difficult to clip on, they won't come loose.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've never used the lobster claw lanyard that came with my M6. Not because of the lobster claw, but because the lanyard ring just below the tailcap looks horribly thin for supporting the weight of an M6 with batteries installed.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
maybe i should head down to a hobby craft store that sells stuff for making jewelry, they may have something robust enough for my precious lights?.. :laughing:

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
maybe i should head down to a hobby craft store that sells stuff for making jewelry, they may have something robust enough for my precious lights?.. :laughing:
You'll have better luck finding swivels and heavy duty clips at your local fishing supply store.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
oh, fishing supply store slipped out of my mind. i was never into that leisure activity. i don't have huge & heavy lights, they should have something good for my lights. :eek:

but more often i will look for marine grade stainless steel accessories for my lights. i was thinking of stainless steel cables for my lights but seems like an overkill. :thinking:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any clip without a swivel is prone to "self opening" if twisted in just the right way.
Yep, this is what actually happens , the lights starts tumbling around until it gets tangled and goes through the clasp..then its ground time!...Swivels or direct lanyarding solves the problem. Or dont go too extreme when wearing clasps.

dsc07125hp0.jpg

dsc07126ss1.jpg

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still prefer to use the SF lanyard. Its got its shortfalls, and it has happened to me but IMO for some reason, it does not leave any rub marks or whatever to the light. Others that I have tried shows rust, scratches the light etc.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm am going to have to order a bunch of the small split-ring type to avoid this happening again.

I like the ideas expressed, but REALLY like the thought of a small carabeaner type clasp...maybe one with the screw down clip. I'll have to look more into those.

For the time being it will be split-rings or no lanyard, especially with the M6's weight.

I was a little more pissed last night, but the dents in the bezel and tailcap were bound to happen sooner or later. It's the cracked window that bothers me most.:mecry:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think If they recieved this they would even consider it...
Tri-P7KT4024.jpg

NOTE: this pic was taken before the accident:eek:

Now, had the light been stock, knowing SF I would think they would repair it.