Lumapower MVP

donas

Newly Enlightened
I need to recommendations from those familar with the Lumapower MVP. I am a police officer who works night shift and am wondering if this light would be well suited for my needs. I recently returned a Cabelas brand 500 lumen light because the 35 dollar bulbs repeatidly blew.

Will this light remain bright over a period of time or does it begin to dim quickly? Can it be illuminated to long periods without over heating or causing some other type of problem? And lastly, does it have a constant on switch?....oh yea, one more-is it waterproof?

If anyone has any other recommendations please feel free to offer. I would like something super bright, led, and at least the size of a Streamlight Stinger (so I can hold it under my arm when using both hands).

tadbik

Enlightened
Hi, I'm a police officer in Israel. I have the MVP but I'd recommend the Night-Ops Gladius. The Gladius can be dimmed to any level The Gladius also has a strobe mode which I've only ever used once in a couple of years! The only thing is, makes sure you buy the correct belt holder for the Gladius as the protruding ring at the back make it difficult to use a generic pouch.

Good luck!

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
donas - there will be a full review coming in a few days from selfbuilt but let me answer your questions:
The MVP will maintain it's brightness fairly constantly - the regulation on 2x 18650 is very flat. It will not overheat; it's thermal mass is appropriate to it's drive levels and efficiency.
There are two switches; 1 is the power switch, on the tail which has momentary at half press and clicks to lock on full press. There is a second switch on the side to set the output level/mode.
The MVP is water & weather resistant (rain/puddle etc) only a relative handful of lights are 'waterproof' and most of those are dive lights.
The MVP has 3 levels of output plus a tactical strobe.

tadbik - Do you have an MRV or the new MVP? The MVP is about 2x as big as a gladius and about 10X as bright...and it also has a strobe.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Although they are not the best beamshot pics I did post a couple here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2590313&postcount=24

I'm not a LEO but I do a fair amount of camping, hunting, in the dark as well as doing professional firework shows on the side. I'm finding the MVP to be as good or better than some of my 12V spot lights, and it's waaaayyyy more "carryable" and runtime is great.

The strobe is devastating as advertised . Those 3 x cree Q5s will almost knock you down.

abuhannibal

Newly Enlightened
Tadbik,

Talk about coincidences: I am also a police officer in Israel (Border Guard, Jerusalem & Mevaseret). If you decide to sell your MVP let me know; I was thinking of getting one for general (non-duty) use.

-- Bob

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
LOL - another victim!

Can you elaborate on this strobe? Does it flash at a set rate or does it have some sort of pattern? Ive seen storbing lights before with different speeds and found the one that was a little slower seemed more annoying to my eyes.
I imagine with 3 leds you could strobe 3 times as fast as 1 led.
How is this one special, and what are the effects on the person? (not asking you to give away a secret formula or anything of course.)