Mystery flashlight

Exit32

Newly Enlightened
I bought this flashlight about twenty years ago, and I've always wanted to know more about its origin and its manufacturer. It's an incandescent light comprised of a simple anodized, knurled aluminum tube with a bulb-and-reflector assembly threaded into one end and a switch assembly threaded into the other end. There are no o-rings, so obviously it's not waterproof.

This flashlight accommodates two C cells. It appears to have a pre-focused bulb like those used in cheap AA penlights. The reflector is made from uncoated aluminum, and it's quite dull and ineffective.

The most interesting part is the tailcap with integrated switch. It uses an aluminum stud, threaded on one end and knurled on the other, to push against a piece of spring steel that makes contact with the negative side of the rear battery. To turn on the light, you twist the stud clockwise until it's tight; to turn off the light, you twist the stud counterclockwise until the stud loosens enough to break contact between the spring steel and the battery.

The tailcap has lettering that indicates that this light was manufactured by the Princeton Carriage Co. of New Brunswick, NJ. It also claims there's a patent pending on this design.

I haven't been able to find any information about this flashlight manufacturer. I'd also like to know how old this light is and would appreciate any information from the many flashlight experts here. See photos below:

1.FrontView.JPG

2.SideView.JPG

3.Tailcap.JPG

4.Switch.JPG

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Don't know what it is, but it looks nice. Kind of a giant Arc AAA. Looks like it's begging for a mod.

Geoff

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That does indeed appear to be a rare one. Nothing at Flashlight Museum and they've really got a lot there link and nothing really from a Google search except a couple hits on some things on eBay but nothing appeared as a flashlight. I think there were some other things made by that company though. Probably a local small company made them short term. I'd send the info to Flashlight Museum and see what they can tell you.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like the perfect pocketable host for the new MC-E, driver, two 18500s, MC-R 27 mm reflector and a thick aluminium sink in between
:)

ahhh, "two C sized", didnt notice that.
Then: host for two C-sized Li-Ions (+ MC-E, driver, MC-R, sink) ;)

Last edited:

Exit32

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comments and suggestions thus far.

I just used CUIL.COM to execute another online search for Princeton Carriage Co., and discovered that another CPF member also owns one of these lights. Check it out:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/132871

I plan to send my info and pics to the Flashlight Museum to see if they know anything about this light. Maybe I'll end up donating it to the museum for posterity.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: Exit32 found the link before I did, lol.

Apparently you're not the only one curious about this light...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/132871

I googled the company name and apparently they made rubber handled ice scrapers as well. I'm assuming they made a bunch of products that you would use in your house.

Last edited:

1pt21

Enlightened
The tailcap has lettering that indicates that this light was manufactured by the Princeton Carriage Co. of New Brunswick, NJ. It also claims there's a patent pending on this design.

I live in Edison, NJ... About 5 mins outside of New Brunswick, NJ. I don't know why, but I thought that was pretty cool lol :cool:

Never heard of Princeton Carriage Co. though.

--Paul

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
Don't know what it is, but it looks nice. Kind of a giant Arc AAA. Looks like it's begging for a mod.

Geoff
I cringe everytime someone wants to mod a rare antique. Its value holds better if left in its original state since this particular one is so rare.

Exit32

Newly Enlightened
I cringe everytime someone wants to mod a rare antique. Its value holds better if left in its original state since this particular one is so rare.

Ya, I agree with you. This light is in near-mint condition, and if it's as rare as people believe it is, it belongs in the Flashlight Museum. BTW, I have written to Dave at the museum and asked if he has any insight regarding Princeton Carriage flashlights. I'll share his reply here.

I wish I knew how old it is. It's intriguing because it could be the first example of what has become the standard form factor for many contemporary flashlights: anodized-aluminum body, knurled handgrip, tailcap switch, and a reflector with a diameter small enough to fit within the body of the flashlight. As Flying Turtle said, it looks like a giant Arc AAA -- and it's really not that much different than my brand-new Nitecore D10.

Most flashlights from twenty or more years ago were made of thin sheet metal or plastic, had large reflectors, and unreliable slide-type switches. I wonder if this Princeton Carriage light has historical significance because it was among the first to use today's popular flashlight design elements.

Exit32

Newly Enlightened
Update: I sent photos and a description of my Princeton Carriage flashlight to Dave McLellan at The Flashlight Museum. He replied, "This is a new one for me."

So, I have decided to donate this light to The Flashlight Museum. Perhaps someone will see it in the museum or at their website and know more about this unusual light.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Sounds like it's definitely a rare one. Bravo to you for deciding to donate it to the museum. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Geoff