Scott Peterson Is Dog Food

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE: Below is a copy of the Criminal Complaint:
lacicharge1.gif

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
two days ago Pererson's attorney stated that Scott was really upset at the possiblity that the two remains that were found might be his wife and unborn child. Daaaaa, of course he was really upset, geeesh, I wonder why.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the very least, he should be punished for cheating on his pregnant wife! That's the ultimate low! Oh my goodness. It's bad enough that he cheated...but she was pregnant with his kid!!! Argh! I get so angry every time I think about this... I hope Modesto P.D. has enough evidence to send him away for a long, long time...if not the death penalty.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he really did kill her, he's looking at the death penalty. That's a double murder homocide.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
If he did this he's pond scum. That said, the insurance claim isn't unusual all by itself.

Recall that the policy was taken out at or near the time she became pregnant. It's not unusual to take out such a policy in case there are complications that could result in the mothers death. You'd never be able to take out a policy once the complications arose. If by chance they're mutual policies taken out by her on him (baby on the way, house/car payments), I wouldn't put any stock in theories citing the policy as a motive. There may be other evidence surrounding the policies but by themselves, they are of little to no value.

What really is going to hurt him is that he tried to sell the house two weeks after she disappeared. Not too smart. I think he tried to pull a similar stunt with turning in her leased car.

And the most moronic thing he did was to publicly place himself within a couple of miles where the bodies were found. He even had a parking receipt! Put the bodies in Richmond and say you went fishing in the opposite direction a hundred miles away. Criminals are dumb - that's why they get caught. Not speaking with the cops or taking a lie detector test were the smartest things he did.

What happened to Laci and their son is sad and if he's ever convicted, the death penalty would be too kind for him.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh no...on the news, they're saying that the bodies found are indeed Laci Peterson and the baby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's sad. Really sad. My condolences to the Rocha family. I can't even image what Laci had gone through.

If it was him, I hope the DA doesn't accept ANY pleas. He needs to fry, period!...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I just can't figure out what makes people do things as this. It's got to be an actual brain defect. I used to work with a fellow, we'll not get into how good his marriage was or wasn't...anyway, the day his wife gave birth to their second child...she was in the hospital with the baby and he got caught with the underaged babysitter. Needless to say, he went to jail and of course the "family" was no more. Human nature, brain defect, the ability to know right from wrong...I can't figure it out.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman

Everyone has "dirty little secrets" (i.e. private thoughts, fantasies, erratic behavior).

I got a hard lesson about 35 years ago on my very first professional job. One Friday, we gave a newlywed groom an office party prior to him going on his honeymoon and he never came back.

Seems that on his honeymoon, he took a shotgun and blew his wife of 3 days away and then did away with himself.

I'll never forget that incident.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I heard on the 10PM news on KCPQ-13 FOX here in Seattle that the bodies they found WERE identified as Lacy Peterson and her baby, by means of some kind of DNA analysis. They didn't mention Scott though, other than saying he's "in custody" and is a suspect in the murder.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
FalconFX;

At least learn to spell correctly. To wit, Homicide is a crime, while Homocide is not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's spelled correctly, it's just not the right word... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

In the words of the orc peons of Warcraft 2:

"Yes Master!"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

----------
Glittering Prizes
Whosyourdaddy
operation cwal

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heard on the news tonight that the authorities found $10,000 in cash and his brother's ID in Scott's truck. That along with changing his appearance (hair color and beard) probably indicated that he was about to leave the country.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
This has truly been a sad case, as in any case that involves the taking of life (even more so with an unborn, near term baby).

I've been following this case with much interest. Any murder investigation where the prima facie of evidence is lacking, makes it all the more difficult to investigate and to gather the totality of evidence that will allow for a successful prosecution of an identified suspect(s). No murder is ever easy to investigate. It is the most heart wrenching, stressful, and unforgiving assignment that can break some of the strongest of wills.

[ QUOTE ]
... Even before Laci's body "bubbled up" the Modesto police should have taken him into custody with all of the circumstantial evidence. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Scott Peterson will most likely be proven an individual that is a threat to society, and the full force of the judicial system should righteously lower the boom on him unless proven otherwise.

Unfortunately, a homicide investigation with an "obvious suspect" has many pitfalls when an arrest is made too early. Circumstantial evidence can fall apart faster than a week old crumb cake sitting out in the sun. A Ramey warrant for arrest can be issued based upon circumstantial evidence that would lead a reasonable person with similar training and experience to form the opinion that the suspect being identified was involved in the crime. However, an early arrest without a fully dedicated investigation to either identifying or eliminating a suspect, will likely lead to a premature arrest in which the clock will start ticking unmercifully for the investigators to sell a case to a filing Deputy DA. 48 hours goes by quickly, the time limit before which an arrestee has to be arraigned for their charge. Even if the Deputy DA files the case, and the arraignment follows along with a successful Preliminary Hearing, a weak case can be lost when it is comprised of circumstantial evidence that provides enough reasonable doubt to a single juror. The risk for double jeopardy under such circumstances is high. No homicide investigator, or DA, would ever want to take that chance with a case like this.

Unfortunately, double murders do not automatically qualify a defendant for capital punishment. In this case, it will still fall under the murder of Laci Peterson, and not inclusive of an unborn child. Unless the Coroner declares that the fetus would most likely have been a viable human able to survive if placed outside of the womb at the time of death for the mother. It's exceedingly difficult for a medical examiner to make that determination. Some medical examiners will go out on a limb and make that call, only to be subjected to the most intense scrutiny under cross-examination by a defense attorney that has hired a proficient M.D. -- a professional opinion has very little protection under the microscope of a knowledgeable defense attorney.

I wish the Modesto P.D. detectives the best in their endeavor to pursue a finite amount of justice that will seemingly never be enough for such a heinous crime.

-Jim

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pie, the unborn child's more than 8 months old. Most premature babies are born, and survive, at 7 months old. There's no doubt the unborn child would've survived had it been born at that time period, hence, double murder and automatic death penalty case...

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Trust me, I want to be behind that 100%... this is one individual that deserves capital punishment (although, it may be too good for him in some respects).

Not to be disagreeable, in proving the viability of an 8 1/2 month old unborn child, it is still incredibly difficult in the eyes of the law. This is set forth by legal precedence and requires an expert opinion by the Coroner to render such a decision. Nonetheless, and unfortunately, even if the autopsy on the 8 1/2 month old fetus was to conclude it would have been possible for it to be a viable human exclusive of all other factors, a double murder does not automatically qualify an individual for the dealth penalty. A substantial amount of other factors are required to be proven in order to successfully prosecute for capital punishment. In this case, only the abundance of evidence to prove First Degree Murder and Special Circumstances will qualify the case for the option of a death penalty.

However, even with that said, given the amount of news coverage this case has garnered, and I trust that the DA's office wants to show resolve for this, I suspect the Stanislaus County Coroner will be on board with the prosecution. I also highly suspect that the Modesto PD detectives have found enough corroborative evidence to show enough specific intent for murder (Special Circumstances is a tough one to put together, e.g. laying in wait - malice aforethought). I know this all too well, I have worked homicide long enough to have experienced the worst that this judicial system has to offer. By the time the Stanislaus County DA's will be picking their jury for this case, they will hopefully have enough to request the option for the death penalty before the court.

When that becomes the case, then you're right Marty, he's dog food.

-Jim