Light for my Lineman brother - suggestions?

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all.

My little brother just had a b-day and is also starting his new job as a Lineman with Georgia Power Company. I have no idea if he'll be wearing a tool belt or what his ability to carry a light will be, but I'd like to get him one.

Are there any Lineman out there that can give me a little advice. Do I get him a larger light that can be holstered or a poclet light. I hate to get him something that'll just sit on a shelf.

I've come to LOVE my Fenix P3D and carry it comfortably clipped to my pocket with an aftermarket clip I bought. I'd like to keep it an LED with a few different levels of light. Any help would be appreciated.

Dan

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
would be tempted to get him a plastic shell LED light, one that will be electrically unconductive. Something like a propolymer 4AA 1 watt LED or UK 4AA zoom. These would be for work too while the aluminum lights might not be a wise idea to use around power lines.

DaveG

Enlightened
Check with Greg at Brightguy.com,Streamlight makes clips that attach to a hardhat,I used one for a poly 7 led 4-aa Streamlight.It worked great,nice flood plus plastic no conduct.Check what type of hard hat he is issued,baseball or full brim so you get the right adapter.

OceanView

Enlightened
Sounds like an occupation that could have some specific safety requirements for any equipment he'd use, like a flashlight. Do you know if his employer has any regarding lights?

Different topic, but a headlamp would seem to be very handy when you're up in the bucket and need both hands to work on something right in front of you at night. I can't recall the last time I've seen any guys from the local utility company with headlamps on their helmets, though.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
How about a headlamp. I assume he'll need both hands free much of the time.

If not, Fenix's new TK20 looks interesting.

rtt

Enlightened
You may want to wait until your brother finishes his orientation school. As someone posted before there may be specific safety requlations that will determine what flashlights are approved for use. I would think that an ican instead of a led light would be the way to go since the ican works better in color rendition of wires than a led light. A Surefire G2 (ican) with polymer head could be the right light for your brother.