Overdriving the SL35X Lamp @ 7.2 Volts?

Illuminated

Enlightened
Other than the 200 hour lamp life rating listed on the BrightGuy website, I can't seem to find any actual specifications on this lamp assembly.

While I know it's designed for use in 5-cell NiCad applications, I'd like to consider driving it with 6 NiCad cells.

Rerating based on the life expectancy of that 200 hour figure should still yield approximately 22 hours life while multiplying the lumens output by roughly 1.8 times.

Anyone care to offer their thoughts on the subject?

Any/all comments humbly accepted and appreciated.

John

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for giggles, I hooked a 35X LA to my Tiferlight (7.2V) and it worked fine. Didn't notice a huge increase in output, though...

--dan

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've run a 35X LA at 7.2 V a couple of hours monthly for several months without problem. It still runs a little yellow at 7.2 V relative the the W/A bulbs. Like Dano, I was surprised at how subtle the brightness increase was.

Like Dano, I'm plan to replace burned out 35X bulbs in the 35X LA with the brighter WA 01160 bulb. The only LA that is ready for a transplant is the old dead one that came with the used SL35X light I bought without batteries or charger.

Illuminated

Enlightened
Thanks for the responses Dano & Lemlux -

I bought an SL35X from BG to play with, and since I already have a genuine Tigerlight, I thought I'd run the SL35X in my 4D Mag Mod with those Powerstream 1/2D's.

In a quick side-by-side test, the TL was a bit whiter than the SL35X on 5 cells, but the SL has a *much* bigger bright spot. Throw seemed to be about the same between the two.

I'll have to try the WA 01160 sometime If I can get my mitts on one.

Thank you both - and have a super weekend!

John