• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired *Dismantled & Remodded* Moby **** 9XQ5 is now Quad-P7

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT 2: I thought it better to relist this light in a separate thread here.

EDIT: I dismantled the 9 X Cree light and rebuilt it into this Quad-P7.

The following descrition applies to the original 9 X Cree built. For the Quad-P7 specs please refer to the above thread.

Up for sale is a Moby **** light I built with my last chrome FM3H-2.

Hardware:
- Fivemega FM3H-2
- FM 2.5D 6 X 17670 tri-bored tube and battery holder
- (9) Cree XR-E Q5 WG LEDs
- (8) McR19XR reflectors
- (1) McR27XR
- (9) Mirageman centering rings
- (6) 17670 Li-ion cells, 2 series/3 parallel for 7.4 V operation
- (3) parallel Shark drivers sharing one dimming pot, each driving 3 LEDs in series.
- (3) machined aluminum Shark heatsinks
- (1) 20K ohm logarithmic pot
- LED ZEP custom polished alum pot knob w/ trit slot,
- Custom CNC heatsink, one-piece, milled from 2 3/4" round 6061 aluminum, approx. 1 3/4" tall, 3/4 lb.

Details:
- Approx. 2000 lumens from LEDs
- Lux measures 15K @ 1.5 m, meter overload (>20K) @ 1 m
- Current pot-adjustable from 10 - 960 mA
- Light draws 4.8 A from fully charged cells. Assuming true 1600 mAh cells (7.4V, 4800 mAh), approx runtime is almost 1 hr on hi.
- The inside contour of the head was mapped and the heatsink machined for a full-contact fit. Heatsink threads into head with rear shoulder that mates to tube. Head/sink/tube lock together with compound, no need to epoxy which allows disassembly if desired.
- Build details are very similar to my original Moby ****. Differences include the cell configuration, LED tint, pot knob, and the use of my latest design one-piece heatsink.
- New protected Ultrafire cells included. Light will ship with cells fully charged and loaded, ready to rock. (EDIT: Light will include 6 new AW 17670 cells instead. They fit and work much better.)
- Tritium vial not yet mounted in knob. Buyer has choice of green, white, orange, red, or blue installed before shipping.
- Light is in overall mint condition, with the inside as presentable as the out.

dsc1374vx0.jpg

dsc1377hb0.jpg

dsc1376hb4.jpg

This is one of my favorite MD lights, practical, good thermal management, good runtime, dimming to near zero, great throw, and super bright - everything works in harmony.

$950, $900 including AW cells, domestic shipping and PP fees, $895, $845 without cells. International at cost less domestic rate, inquire. Standard B/S/T rules apply.

Last edited:

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: Moby **** - 9XQ5, chrome FM3H-2 host, ~2000 lumens

WOW!!!!!!!!!!
That is INSANE!!!!
Fantastic build and good luck on your sale.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is one head you don't see often. Just beautiful. Led Zep, What sort of output profile this beauty have?

beetleguise

Enlightened

If you have a lot of money, this is the light to buy. You can't get a better light folks!

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys!

This is one head you don't see often. Just beautiful. Led Zep, What sort of output profile this beauty have?
Jumpstat,
Here is a white wall beamshot at 1m, taken @ ISO200, 1/30s, F13:

From my calculations, the main beam has about 50 degrees of coverage, and the spot has about 8.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Included cells will be upgraded to 6 new AW 17670s. They have more uniform length for better contact, more capacity, and install easier.

Added option to purchase without cells.

Last edited: