Valiant Concepts Arc-AA Body

shomie911

Enlightened
Hey guys,

I stumbled upon this and did a quick search on CPF, but came up with nothing.

Has no one ever seen this before? It looks great.

I wonder what the runtime will be with a AA, probably 2.5x the stock runtime. (1000 mah AAA compared to 2500 mah AA.)

EDIT:

Did some more searching and found this EDC Forums thread about the AA body.

Based on the graphs there, it gets roughly 3x the runtime to 50%.

Sounds good to me!

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow neato. Wish there was something like this for all my fenix aaa lights

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
There was some discussion around here about this maybe a year ago. Sorry I can't point you to the thread. I'm sure some folks will chime in with their opinions. It may have worked with Peak Matterhorn heads, too.

Geoff

shomie911

Enlightened
There was some discussion around here about this maybe a year ago. Sorry I can't point you to the thread. I'm sure some folks will chime in with their opinions. It may have worked with Peak Matterhorn heads, too.

Geoff

I can't find that thread either.

This Arc body is pretty nice though, it has a spring at the negative contact, so that remedies the battery crushing problem. It's a little expensive but I think I'm gonna pick one up soon.

shomie911

Enlightened
I like that, but does it give extra brightness or just extra run time?

From what I can tell, all you do is put the Arc-AAA head on the battery tube, so brightness should be exactly the same. But you get the benefit of using AAs instead of AAAs.

Does anybody have a picture of the body next to something (another flashlight, penny, quarter) to put the size into perspective?

shomie911

Enlightened
does it tailstand? have a split ring hole?

Well after reading the EDC Forums thread, it does tail stand, at the cost of a split ring hole.

I guess the designer assumed that if someone bought the AA body, they wouldn't be using it on a keychain anymore. They should have included a hole though, it wouldn't have been that hard.

It would probably make a very reliable emergency light, Arcs are already used in that capacity, and the addition of tailstanding and 3x the battery life makes it a lot more useful.

I'm really surprised these aren't more popular, especially when you look at how popular Arc's are.

I'm probably going to order mine in the next few days, I figure even if I don't use it regularly, having it handy will allow me to use AA's in the event of a hurricane/power outage (I live in Florida), because they last longer and are more readily available (around my house anyway.)

Now that I think about it, it would make a great little lantern, 14 hours of battery life to 50% on Alkalines is pretty good in my book, and because it uses an Arc-AAA head it isn't top heavy, the low center of gravity will help it from tipping over easily.

EDIT:

"50% output was reached at 14 hours
Moon mode switchover occurred at some point between 22 & 23 hours
Moon mode ran for 62-63 hours with enough light to read a map
Moon mode ran in "glow mode" for 16 more hours before the test was terminated"

Quoted from Codeman over at EDC Forums.

84 hours of useable light, that's ridiculous. All on an Alkaline, imagine the runtime on an L91 lithium. :eek:

Last edited: