Any Surefire 6Ps with Glass lens?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all! I am about to buy a Surefire 6P but the modern one has a pyrex lens and that is not that good when you use LF HO-9s...

So what are my options?
A new surefire head? Non-crenalated
An older model with glass lens (if ever has been0
Or a lens replacement? (they are press fitted or spanner wrench srew oof liek the C2 i already have?) (I believe so)

thanks beforenad, Kostas

precisionworks

Flashaholic
You may be thinking about the G2 with Nitrolon head, which uses a Lexan window. According to the SF site, the 6P has a Tempered Pyrex® window.

TJx

Newly Enlightened
A used 6Z I picked up at a gunshow this weekend has a Lexan window so I guess at some point these had them!?

Greggles

Newly Enlightened
Yes. My mid-90s 6P and late-90s 6Z both had Lexan lenses. Not sure which year they switched to Pyrex.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Interesting... the older LExan lens would probably be more shock-impact resistant (IMHO).

FWIW my 6P is serial number A402551 and it has the pyrex window:thumbsup:

:popcorn:

GPB

Enlightened
Does anyone know if the G2L with the metal bezel has Lexan or Pyrex ? The website doesn't say ( or at least I couldn't find it ). Other than scratching it, is there a way I can tell by looking at it ?

Thanks

USM0083

Enlightened
Does anyone know if the G2L with the metal bezel has Lexan or Pyrex ? The website doesn't say ( or at least I couldn't find it ). Other than scratching it, is there a way I can tell by looking at it ?

Thanks

My G3L came with a pyrex lens, so I would guess the G2L is also pyrex.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
My G2 has the aluminum head with Pyrex window.

the older Lexan lens would probably be more shock-impact resistant
Agreed. The problem for most users is how easily it scratches. Also, it transmits about 2% less light than Pyrex, in the testing I've done.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys you will hate me on this but I better come clean....

I was confused and thought the pyrex window was the plastic one (the Lexan one). I need the glass one.

So this post was in vain...I got to thank you for your wasted time...

sorry sorry, Kostas

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
No big deal, we got to talk about flashlights... that's what flashaholics do after all!:huh:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Guys you will hate me on this but I better come clean....

I was confused and thought the pyrex window was the plastic one (the Lexan one). I need the glass one.

So this post was in vain...I got to thank you for your wasted time...

sorry sorry, Kostas

Thats OK... I had no idea that they made Lexan windows and there was a design change at some point. So it was a worthy discussion.:thumbsup:

cfromc

Enlightened
Yes, I have two with the Lexan made in 2001 or 2002. Those 6Ps had a smooth area around the end of the bezel versus the newer ones that have the retaining ring. I've seen about 4-5 with the smooth end and no retaining ring. They provide a nice smooth beam with the tradeoff being that they are not as heat resistant as the Pyrex. I'm using one with the P60L and have not had any problems, even after leaving the light on for well over an hour straight.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
When the G2L with aluminum bezel came out it had a Lexan window. When did it change to Pyrex? Also, the G2 has always been made with a Nitralon body and bezel, with a Lexan window.

Bill

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the G2L with aluminum bezel came out it had a Lexan window. When did it change to Pyrex? Also, the G2 has always been made with a Nitralon body and bezel, with a Lexan window.

Bill

that I would like to know too...Even down to the batch/lot numbers.

few! seems I was a lucky ******* to slip through the boo boos...ostas

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont forget guys, The G2Z is a nitrolon head with pyrex window.

I swapped out my G2Z head for the G2L Head. According to SF, the AL heads were chosen as heat sinks for the LEDs.

So my G2L has a Nitrolon head w/ pyrex lens.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yep, by not using a metal bezel the P60L's thermal protection kicks in at a lower output to ensure the LED does not become damaged through over-heating. The result is that the runtime will be longer with the lower output.
This makes for a very robust, very resilient all-Nitrolon flashlight (a G2 with P60L). The Lexan window will never shatter. This is how I'm running a couple G2's - one in my car and another I gave to my Dad for one of their cars.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are tempting me to grab a yellow G2 while they're still easy to find...I am sort of guessing that over the next year or few SureFire is likely to cut the incan line back a good deal. That's just a guess but I think the direction the tide is running is pretty clear even if the timing and waterlevel is not...

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, by not using a metal bezel the P60L's thermal protection kicks in at a lower output to ensure the LED does not become damaged through over-heating. The result is that the runtime will be longer with the lower output.
This makes for a very robust, very resilient all-Nitrolon flashlight (a G2 with P60L). The Lexan window will never shatter. This is how I'm running a couple G2's - one in my car and another I gave to my Dad for one of their cars.

OK, did it...yellow G2 (G2-YL) on my desk now, along with a P60L, both from a local B&M. This one has the round (with bumps) Nitrolon head but the pyrex window.

Do you remember whether there were any formal runtime tests for the P60L in a Nitrolon head? (If yes, I'll search - not asking for free labor.) Never mind, think I found it: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176621

Last edited: