Anyone had a Ra Twsity die on them?

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I got one of the 1st 70Tr's and absolutely loved it, until recently when it decided that it wouldn't do any brightness settings other than low. Tightening the head gives a brief flash at higher brightness, and then it drops back to low. I've cleaned it, relubed it, changed battery types, yelled at it. No dice. Not sure if it's electronic or physical, but the torch is essentially a paperweight.

Has this happened to anyone else? And how did you go with warranty and replacement? I got mine via Battery Station.

I've got to say I'm pretty $#%^$%^ off. It's a mollycoddled shelf queen, basically used to impress people (including myself) from time to time. Well, with its new operating modes, the last people I showed it to weren't very impressed :(

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bummer. I'd contact Ra lights. Even though you bought it from a dealer I think Henry would want to know about it and want to remedy the situation. Good luck.

gallagho

Enlightened
I had the exact same problem. Very annoying as it didn't matter how hard I turned I only got low.

It turned out to be user error... I had used too much lube and with use it had become pushed up into the head and built up around/underneath the conductive 'U' switches.

This lube mixed with Al from the threads must have been conductive enough to short the switches, it looked very grey.

I used IPA to get under the 'U's. Fortunately that worked for me.

Last edited:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Gadgetnerd,

Have you tried entering into customize mode? If the torch does indeed enter into customize, does it cycle through all the levels and blink when it reaches max output?

Otherwise try this:
"
To restore factory settings without going through the customization mode, follow this procedure:
  • Note: removing the battery case O-ring makes performing this procedure easier. You should replace the O-ring once this procedure has been completed.
  • Reset the flashlight - i.e., remove the battery for 60 seconds and reinstall. Your flashlight will light dimly. From the time the light turns on you will have 2 seconds to complete the next step.
  • Rapidly screw the battery case into the head until the light goes from dim to brighter. You have 2 seconds to accomplish this step from the beginning of a reset. If your flashlight turns off before changing intensity you will need to restart the procedure.
  • Your flashlight will become brighter for 10 seconds and then turn off. When your flashlight turns off the procedure has completed successfully. If there is insufficient power to restore the factory settings, your flashlight will flash very rapidly several times.
  • Turn off your flashlight even though it already appears to be off."
If that doesn't work, then a quick e-mail to [email protected] will get dialog started about repair/replacement.

Let us know what happens..Sorry to hear about this strange issue...

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've done a full factory reset as per the Ra instructions. Just in case there were lube issues I've done a full clean of threads and under springs and contacts with IPA.

Looks like the torch is a deadun. It switches on in red, a few more twists it comes on medium white, and at full twist it flashes a couple of times and stays on medium. Maybe it's an electric contact issue but I can't see where.

I'll contact Henry!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let us know what Henry has to say in case he knows a fix for you without sending it in. Sorry to hear that - either way I'm sure it will get fixed as Henry is truly one of the good guys.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I had a bit more of a look and it appears that one of the U springs in the head has a loose solder connection.

I guess the Ra is going to go on a holiday back to the states!

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, my 120-T.

I returned it directly to Henry and after he examined the light,
authorized a full refund from the dealer it was purchased from.

Both Henry and the dealer handled the situation with absolute
professionalism.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I heard back from Henry to say that my light actually had a manufacturing defect in addition to a broken U spring, and is being replaced. So I get an upgrade from a 70 to an 85 Tr!

Top notch service from HDS as usual!