I need help deciding

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
First off i would like to say that this is not a advertisement so please do not close this thread Mr Moderator. I am asking for people who own or have owned thies lights to give me some help deciding which one i should buy.

I want to buy my mother a new light because in her work she regularly needs a bright lite that isnt the size of a toothpick but isn't so big that she gets tired of holding it. I have found four that i think might fit the bill but im not sure if they are really what they say.

The first one is a Romisen RC-K4 3~8V Versatile Cree Flashlight
I like that this one can use one 18650, two CR123 or three AAA batteries. I was wondering if anyone has used this lite before and what their opinion is about it. how good of an led is the Cree XR-E LED?

The second one is an Ultrafire C1 Q5-WC 230-Lumen LED Flashlight with Clip.
I like tis one for its design and the clip on it. And that it has a 3 hour run time.

The third is UltraFire WF-505B Cree P4 Flashlight with Clip. This one like the others puts out about 230lumens, but this one only runs on the CR123 batteries.

The fourth and final one is a Solarforce L2 Cree R2 LED Flashlight.
This one looks just like a surefire P6 with a different name, but with a much smaller price tag. If this one is comparabul then I would definetley be interested in it.

The only question i have is what the beam patterns i can expect from these lites and more importantly, what kind of battery life i can expect.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL, OK Mr. Camper, we can definitely leave this one open and hope that people give you some help. However I am removing the links, as they are not necessary - people who know the lights well enough to advise you will not need them.

Perhaps I can start by suggesting that your mother will probably prefer a light which has a fairly simple user interface and runs off easily obtainable batteries, such as AA. I doubt she will want to be confused with strobes or too many light levels etc. If that is the case, it rules out 3 of the lights you have suggested.

There are numerous lights in this category, so I'll leave it to others to advise you. I hope you will find something suitable.

Last edited:

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
LOL ok i can deal with the links being gone, im cool with that.

I agree that she wouldnt want a strobe or something like that.
As far as batteries are concerned, her work provides her with all the CR123 batteries she needs. (i have been trying to get her to smuggle me out some for a while but she lives in Alaska and right now im living in Texas)
She had a lite that used 2 Cr123 batteries and she really liked it.
I was thinking of one that had 2 brightness levels, now for inspecting trucks(she is a comercial vehicle enforcement officer) and a low mode for looking over paperwork.

I work in the oil field and i know that i would definetly like to get my hands on all of these lites but my boss said thay would only pay for one of them.

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK10 or TK11. Two modes, large grip ring to work well with thick gloves, very simple.
Unfortunalty i do not have the disposabul income to purchase one of those and my mother is cheap. I would love to get one of these but right now its just not posubull

Niconical

Enlightened
I would suggest the Romisen RC-N3.

This takes a single CR123A, or with the supplied extension tube, 2xAA.

It is available from www.dealextreme.com for $17.18 shipped worldwide.
Click the link and search for "RC-N3".

There is a Q5 version available from www.shiningbeam.com, but I would say that for your mother the standard version will be fine as it is still good and bright and is great value for money.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix T1 is on sale right now, Has 2 modes, 1 forward click switch.
Very simple to use, very rugged, which she is going to need.

C'mon, she's your mom, she's worth it, no excuses.

gratewhitehuntr

Enlightened
I would opt for the shiningbeam version with Q5

RC-N3 is a fine light and would use 1XCR123 which would leave more for her to send me for making such a grate suggestion :thumbsup:

really though, for a few dollars more go with the shiningbeam Q5 version

it also seems to me that all of those lights have been at least checked for basic function

nothing sucks worse than a China DOA light :ohgeez:

what kind of son are you anyway sending your mom a dead light? :shakehead

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
LOL I will look into the RC-N3. I think i have seen it before and i liked it.... i think.
The shiningbeam version is impressive.
That is a perfect price range for the money challenged like myself.

I think i might be able to get my mom to slowly stockpile some CR123s so when i go up there again i can get them. :) i hope they don't think it suspicious, me trying to get through security with 5 pounds of batteries in a carry on. Hmmmm....

gratewhitehuntr

Enlightened
you will want to check with the airline

seems to me that there are rules concerning the amount of lithium you can bring on a plane

god forbid some jerk gets a DX D cell and causes it to explosively disassemble on a plane :poof:

that would be the end of carry on batteries PERIOD

maybe it would be better to mail them

back on topic
I recommended the shiningbeam RC-N3 to a non flashaholic friend of mine and he is quite happy with it
since he didn't live near me (aka I couldn't fix it if DOA) I felt more comfortable with him getting something that had to have been turned on at least once by a qualified person
battery versatility is grate too, it prompted him to learn about 123 cells and lithium and now he is more interested/comfortable with taking the leap into L-Ion

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
Im trying to keep it under $50.

We both like the size of the surefire P6
I used to have one of those before it was stolen:mad:

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
I found this Special Edition LumaPower LumaHunter M1 Tactical LED flashlight w. Q5 LED, Not for my mom but for me. But the one thing is That they dont say what the run time is on it. I like everyhting elce on it, including the looks, lol.

Oh yea, what is the difference between a reverse click and a forward click switch

mdocod

Flashaholic
reverse click activates after the release after the click, and can be "blinked" by pushing slightly after it has been activated, forward click activates on the downward pressure of the first push, and can be pushed a little farther to click it on so it holds on, it can be "blinked" without needing to activate the "click," just do a gentle dance on the button :)

The maglight switch is an excellent example of a forward click. Most chinese flashlights are reverse click unless otherwise specified.

gratewhitehuntr

Enlightened
what he said + simple version

reverse has go go down and click then comes on when you release
reverse = has to click to come on

forward can momentary on without click
forward = can come on without click but shuts off when you let up unless you make it click

IMHO forward takes longer to wear out because momentary reduces the number of cycles used (for me at least)

of course the quality of the switch is a major factor but all thing being equal
the forward should last longer
YMMV

OTOH, DX sells switches 5-$2 so ??

I suppose the mechanical abilities of the user would come into play
ie. can they change the switch or will they be baffled?

twocents.gif

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
Any opininon on the Special edition LumaPower LumaHunter M1?
I have never hear dof this brand before. Who are they are there
lites ok?

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own 3 RC-N3 Q5's and its well worth getting one for your mom......Depending on the mah of the cell i get about 4 hours of continuous light when its been left on, and 30 minutes of light on a rcr123.