Beyond Thrilled w/My New Olive L0D

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Just got my first multi-stage light, an L0D from Fenix-Store. Ordered it Monday, got it Wednesday. Thanks Fenix-Store! $42.78 total after CPF 8% discount.

What can I say-it moves easy with a flick of the bezel through medium-low-high-strobe-SOS. I didn't know what SOS was until owning this one, but duh, hello, ...---..., ...---..., cool!

Practically ran to a dark conference room. Beam is a perfect white in my opinion. Can see a couple small rings in the outer band of the spill--but who cares. Nice hot spot with very usable transition and spill.

Awesome. Move over Arc! Took the Arc off the keychain and put the L0D on. Now we'll see how the L01 holds up over time.

Jeff.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Beyond Thrilled w/My New Olive L01

I'm not familiar with the L01, but it sounds like your talking about the L0D. Is that right?

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't I tell you you would love it!!!:nana:
Now, what do you do with the E01? It just can't compare can, it?

Yah, I know what the EO1 lovers out there are going to say. Well, the E01 was less than $15, what did you expect?

Psudo, more often than not you get what you pay for. Too often if you go cheap, you get cheap and always regret that you wasted your money. Pay more and get something you will treasure; how quickly you will forget what you paid.

BTW, as far as holding up, my black one has a lot of scratches on it. But you know, the first scratch on it bothered me. Now it is really beat up but I love it even more, because I use it so much. I wouldn't trade it for a natural one, although I have been told it wears better. This little light has battle scars from being with me every day, but who would trade away their battle buddy?

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my E01, but to be fair it definitely got passed on to my girlfriend once the lod arrived in the mail. It is a fantastic edc.

A little trick you might like is that you can take a chap stick cap and it should fit perfectly as a diffuser on your lod.

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Right you were baby doc! Now to order at least one more! The E01 will go to briefcase on lanyard with my flash drive. Relegated to ocassional. behind PC use!

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you get one of those claw clasp attachments? They are quite handy for quickly taking the light on and off your keychain. I highly recommend them. If you carry a lot of junk on your key ring like I do, it is nice to just take the light off and not have to swing all the junk around with your light.

mighty82

Enlightened
Huh? My L0D hasn't been used since I received the E01. Wasn't used much before either. It's not even regulated, it's dimming from the first second. And the horrible pwm flickering makes me dizzy! :green: Especially in the rain or snow :duh2: The E01 replaced an old arc and it's my most used flashligt.

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh? My L0D hasn't been used since I received the E01. Wasn't used much before either. It's not even regulated, it's dimming from the first second. And the horrible pwm flickering makes me dizzy! :green: Especially in the rain or snow :duh2: The E01 replaced an old arc and it's my most used flashligt.

I have heard about this horrible pwm flickering problem, but never experienced it with mine. I guess there are some bad LOD's out there, but mine wasn't one of them, or perhaps I am just too old to notice it. According Fenix, the LOD Q4 is regulated. Was yours an earlier version?

mighty82

Enlightened
I have heard about this horrible pwm flickering problem, but never experienced it with mine. I guess there are some bad LOD's out there, but mine wasn't one of them, or perhaps I am just too old to notice it. According Fenix, the LOD Q4 is regulated. Was yours an earlier version?
I have the Q4 version. The pwm is very noticable on the low mode, and can easily be seen by looking at he front of the flashlight and waving it a little back and forth.

It's not current regulated like other fenix lights. Fenix-store had a line in the description that said something like "constant current regulated for costant brightness", but it was removed. It only has a simple voltage boost circuit plus pwm dimming on the lower modes (with terrible pwm frequency).

So the output is not regulated, it just follows the voltage of the battery, thus dimming along with the sagging battery voltage. That's the main reason I dislike it btw. I'm a fan of flat regulation. :)

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
I think some people are more sensitive to the flickering than others. I can see it if I look at the emitter and wave it back and forth but is not a problem with normal use (and can be entertaining at times). This light resides on my keychain and is used quite a bit. Mine is powered with a Rayovac hybrid and I do not notice any dimming until the battery is actually getting depleted.

mighty82

Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2449455&postcount=1

Maybe you want to not use alkaline batteries in a high-powered light?

L0D-CE has a pretty flat output curve on NiMH, just like all the Fenix lights.
I would never use an alkaline battery in a high-performance flashlight :eek: I know it has a pretty flat output curve on a NiMh battery (after the initial drop). But it's still not regulated. Any unregulated flashlight will have similar looking output curves with a NiMh battery. :)