Tiablo A9 and A9S

yalskey

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure they are the same thing. The "S" just stands for "Smooth" reflector. I think some people type/write the "S" on the end, and others shortcut it and just say A9.

I don't think there is a textured / orange peel reflector for the A9 so therefore you can see that typing/writing the "S" is kinda optional.

That's my best guess... I could be wrong however.

p.s. I do own an A9 / A9S and it's a really nice light... great thrower, but the beam is ringy for up close work / white wall hunting.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
yalskey, I beg to differ :)

I asked about this before I bought my A9. The S stands for special edition, or something along those lines. When the A9 was first released, the A9 had a lower-binned LED than the A9S. However, the A9 has been upgraded, so there is now no difference betweem the two models. Although Tiablo calls their current Q5 model simply the A9, some dealers choose to be overly specific by adding the "S".

yalskey

Enlightened

I asked about this before I bought my A9. The S stands for special edition, or something along those lines. When the A9 was first released, the A9 had a lower-binned LED than the A9S. However, the A9 has been upgraded, so there is now no difference betweem the two models. Although Tiablo calls their current Q5 model simply the A9, some dealers choose to be overly specific by adding the "S".

Well, there you have it. I told you I was guessing :)

Now it kinda makes me wonder if I have the one with the upgraded emitter or not.

Zenster

Enlightened

Yup, that's it.

The A9S was a transition light that was sold at a premium because of it's use of the "new" (at the time) Q5.
Once the Q5 became more commonly available, it became the standard emitter in the A9 so the "S" designator was dropped.

The A9S I bought from Battery Junction doesn't have any "S" designator on the light itself or the box, but on one side of the light's body, it does say "Limited Edition/WCQ5".

I don't know how the the ones that came after the "S" model are marked.

lightcrazed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, gents. That helps. Is it safe to assume that most lights can run on rechargeable
batteries? I ask because while trolling through specs for many lights- trying to figure out what I can't live without next- I came across one set of specs that said not to use rechargeable 123s.
John

neoseikan

Enlightened
Thanks, gents. That helps. Is it safe to assume that most lights can run on rechargeable
batteries? I ask because while trolling through specs for many lights- trying to figure out what I can't live without next- I came across one set of specs that said not to use rechargeable 123s.
John

Almost every light made in China can use rechargeable cells.
We don't like the high price of CR123A.
One of my friend bought a FAKE Panasonic CR123A for RMB 80. More than $12.

1dash1

Enlightened
I came across one set of specs that said not to use rechargeable 123s.

Lightcrazed:

All the reviews that I have seen state that using 16340's are okay. And most (if not all) the run time graphs that I've seen include 16340's.

There was a small problem using 16340's in the Tiablo A8, perhaps the reviewer you read didn't realize that the A9 had overcome the problem.

I have an A9S. I wouldn't hesitate to run it with rechargeable 123's, if I ever needed to pick up a few lumens.

However, I prefer to run the A9S on an 18650. It's just a more convenient power source for me. (Longer run times. No worries about mismatching cells. Less worry about overcharging. Less worry about over-discharging.)