NightStar battery less flashligh - Your Thoughts

White_LED

Newly Enlightened
I have seen these lights and would like your experiences or thoughts? Any Idea how to make one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I have a NightStar II. I specifically bought it to be an emergency light to store in my Jeep. I would never recommend it to be a primary light for any purpose because it is not any brighter when fully charged than a typical 2AA mag with oldish batteries. The charging system works as advertised, you shake it up for 30-40 seconds and it lights for up to 30 minutes (but very, very dim after 20 minutes). I have a spotlight that plugs into a cigarette lighter for when I need bright emergency light, and the NightStar is wedged in a spot under the driver seat for those occasions when a quick, untethered light is called for. I just have been let down by batteries dying/leaking in previous lights stored in cars I've owned over the years to the point that I decided to not keep a conventional flashlight in my Jeep anymore.

I can say that the plastic construction is very tough, and there is no reason for the flashlight not to last a lifetime, except for the unknown factor of how long will a 1F electrolytic capacitor really last? I don't believe anybody knows for sure. The magnifying optics get the most out of the slightly greenish 5mm LED light source. Just realize that this is a product best utilized where it will be stored for long periods of time without use, but has to light up and stay lit when you finally do have to use it.

paulr

Flashaholic
A friend of mine has one of those (maybe a different brand). It's a cute gadget and fun to play with, but it doesn't seem that worthwhile in practice. The claim is it's good for emergencies because you never have to worry about using up the battery or having it crap out because of limited shelf life. But its operation depends on a 1 farad capacitor, and I have no idea how well those things age either (any electronics whizzes know?). I think it's more practical to just keep a normal flashlight around (a lithium LED one if you're a flashaholic) and check the batteries every once in a while.

shrap

Enlightened
Re: NightStar battery less flashligh - Your Though

I'd get one of those crank-operated flashlights with the built in radio. Seems like a more natural hand motion.

And I think that my dying Photon would produce more consistant light with less hassle in an emergency situation. Or any flashlight with lithiums.

In a real emergency, you don't want to be wasting your energy to make insignificant light...

paulr

Flashaholic

I have to think the crank operated radios/lights are impractical for pretty much the same reason. You could buy a regular flashlight and radio and dozens of lithium batteries for what one of the crank ones cost. Less mechanical weirdness to go wrong, too. For emergency lighting, besides my various flashlights I have a couple of 4-day candles that are about $1 each at the supermarket. They come in tall glass holders that often have religious pictures on the outside. I also have an AA powered radio around somewhere, and of course there are tons of AA cells around here.

You might also be like to keep some Photon-like keychain lights ($1 each at Countycomm, I just bought 20 of them) around. You could scotch tape them to obvious places (outside of your refrigerator etc) that would make them easy to find without making too much temptation to use them for non-emergencies (since you'd have to peel off the tape).

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
shrap said:
I'd get one of those crank-operated flashlights... Seems like a more natural hand motion.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, that "NightStar shake" motion is very natural /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif, I've been doing it for almost 38 years, but curiously, with a crank, instead of a NightStar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

JJHitt

Enlightened

I've yet to find a GOOD crank up radio that also has a light. Most have plastic gears that will either slip or wear with any extended use (which you might expect in an emergency or extended power outage).

The Grundig FR-200 is nice, but still has plastic works.
It's incandescent lamp is easily replaced with a LED.

Sony also has a Wind-Up with a light, but I've not handled one and cant comment on how the dynamo is geared.

The Freeplays are nice and rugged, but most models are radios without lamps. The ones with lamps are grossly overpriced (and the radio section's performance leaves a LOT to be desired).

I have an original Nightstar. And there's no why on Earth I could wear it out. My joints would wear out first.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMHO, I would say, get one only for the purpose of an absolute emergency where batteries are nonexistent or hard to get. Never make it your regular flashlight. And because it is magnetic, never store it near metals you don't want to be magnetized or near anything that's volatile to magnetic fields.

I made the mistake and paid the price for my Foreverlight by putting it mistakenly besides one of my old computer monitors, and a month later, found out my screen is toasted.