Special Edition LumaPower LumaHunter M1..... Any Good?

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking around on the various flashlight dealer websites and i came across this pretty little thing and was wondering if i should blow my hard earned cash on this item or save up for something else.
It is the Special Edition LumaPower LumaHunter M1. I found it on Battery junction.
If any of you know anything about this brand or this lite it would be helpful.

And is it a good candidate for future upgrading?

Evil Twin

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these. I believe it is referred to as the "M1-R SE". It is a very nice and bright light that is small enough to EDC, in my opinion. LumaPower has come out with some very nice quality lights (see the MVP) so I don't think that you need to worry about this being some "off the wall" brand of light.

Apparently this light was created especially for Matt at BatteryJunction, so you won't find it anywhere else. As far as future upgrades go, I have not seen any yet.

If upgrade ability is necessary for you, then you might want to consider something more like a Surefire (6P or Z2) with a P60 since there seem to be many upgrades for that drop-in size.

Hope this helps.

hook63

Newly Enlightened
I was just outside with mine,it throws very well even with the full moon and all the lights around. I also got the battery extender so you can use 2 18650's for better run times.haven't tried the op yet that should be interesting.

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
This helps very much, I have a few questions though. What is EDC?

And along the line of batterys would i be correct in assuming that 2 CR123 batteries will give out more power but for a shorter amount of time. Whereas one 18650 will run longer but with less output?

Where did you et the battery extender from?

skunksoup

Newly Enlightened
I work nights and spend about 90% of my time outside in the dark. I purchased the M1 to try and it is a regular now in my rotation. I always take at least 4 lights to work and am always trying new ones and this one has really taken a beating. Its been dropped numerous times on hard surfaces been buried in mud and so on. Great runtime, brightness, durability and price.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
M1 Evolution:

>M1 (160L, Cree P4, 2 stage reverse clicky)

>M1-T (tactical) (160L, Cree P4, with Twist Tactical and 2 stage reverse clicky)

>M1-R (180L w. Luxeon Rebel 100 and revised reflectors for Rebel geometry, with Twist Tactical and 2 stage reverse clicky)

>M1 SE (205L, Tactical with Cree Q5 WC, Black HA, with Twist Tactical and 2 stage reverse clicky (if anything it should probably be called an M1-T SE as it's basically a revised M1-T not an evolution of the M1-R) - Exclusive to BatteryJunction.com :)

LumaPower has consistently offered an upgrade path for every one of these versions so further upgrades are always a possiblity but not for every bin of emitter; for example as the difference between a Q5 and an R2 is relatively small (7% IIRC) they'd skip the R2 and wait until the output difference is ~20% or more.

Last edited:

hook63

Newly Enlightened
I didn't realise I was talking about a differnt model (MRV) I don't know if the extender works on that model but I got it from battery junction

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at the M1-SE, it is pretty cool looking and i like the glow in the dark tail cap swithch.
I cant seem to find out if there is an battery extender for this lite, dose anyone know of one so i can use 2 18650's
That would be nice

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, there's no extender for the M1's - they already run for ~4 hours on high on 1 x 18650 and 25 hours on low so it would be a bit of overkill.

If you want a 2x 18650 light I'd recommend the MRV or MRV SE Q5 where you'll get higher output and ~4 hours of runtime using 2 x 18650.

mdocod

Flashaholic
It's a well built light that has received some good reviews.

I have one minor "issue" with it... it's a buck-regulated light that will technically achieve highest output and steady regulation on a pair of CR123s or RCR123s. While this is fine, I'm of the opinion that if you are interested in an 18650 li-ion powered rechargeable flashlight, it would be ideal if you could get optimal performance when using that 18650 size cell.

In which case I would refer you to a CL1H from DereeLight as an alternative.

The M1 will have a steadily declining output lasting for several hours to 50% initial output. Overall, this is still a good setup that is considered by many to be a good tradeoff between performance and runtime.

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
Ok cool, Now to see if my boss will buy it for me so i dont have to shell out the cash. The downfall of being a cheap ***.
Thank you all o f you for your help