SF EDC option for female in college environment

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
My sister knows absolutely nothing about flashlights, and I'd like to get her something nice without her knowing the cost. She works in a University town in the midwest not known for it's crime, but I still worry about her being away from home and walking to and from her car at night or whatever. I already sent her a little pink keychain pepperspray cannister which she carries. The SF pdf catalog shows a female holding the E2DL and it doesn't seem too big in her hands. What is your opinion on this particular light for a 5'6" 120lb. young woman? I'm up for suggestions on other lights, but I've always been fond of Surefires just so you know.

EDIT - I'm not deadset on Surefire's anymore, will consider anything that is suggested here. But probably requirements that are a must are:
-clicky switch
-1xAA or 1xAAA primaries
-as few modes as possible
-won't be used in self-defense

Last edited:

Beamshot

Newly Enlightened
I know you said Surefire but i think a Fenix LOD on her keychain would be a better fit if shes not into flashlights. +1 she would probably be more likely to carry it becouse of its size. But if she doesnt mind the size I say go with an L1:rock:.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon or Fauxton for sure. And them something more powerful like a D10. The D10 seems mighty small easy to use and uses a common battery.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
I bought my girlfriend an E1B.

She loves it to death.

She brags to all of her friends about her nerdy boyfriend. She uses it more frequently with each passing day, realizing the utility of a darn fine piece of electronics. It won't tear up her purse for having a strike bezel. She will carry it because it is tiny, dare I say 'cute.' The two mode, dumb as door-nails, user-interface is perfect.

E1B. Small. Simple. Bulletproof.

PS - I wouldn't give my girlfriend a weaponized-light unless I knew she could use it effectively. She has no hand to hand formalized training, so I thought giving her an E2DL might instill false confidence and could get her into worse trouble should she unfortunately come into 'less that hospitable' contact.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

dano101

Enlightened
E2dl as well... check out one of the posts on here (sorry i cant remember the thread though) that a guy has it on his keychain and it looks great. E2DL all the way.

zven

Enlightened
The E2DL is great, but for a non-flashaholic, particularly in a relatively crime-free environment, I think something smaller would be better. My personal pick would be the L1, for its great output and operation, and I certainly favor the momentary/twisty 2-stage tailcap over clickies. That said, the E1B is sleeker, a bit more compact, and its UI is still plenty user-friendly.

So, as a flashaholic, I prefer the L1, but I guess for non-flashaholics, I might tend towards the E1B. Oh, and if you do choose one of those E-series lights, I'd highly recommend getting an F04 diffuser to go along with it. The TIR optics of the E1B/E2DL/L1/etc. produce a lovely beam that's plenty tight for good throw, but for close-up work, the diffused beam is really much more pleasant.

Tomcat!

Enlightened
I can't see any woman being comfortable with the E2DL especially getting it out in public. I agree with the others that the E1B is far more acceptable and useful in terms of size and styling. If you are limiting the choice to SF then the E1B pretty much picks itself.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, 10 replies just overnight, with helpful tips from all!! Thanks CPF, I love this board. I'll try to respond a bit with some adapted thoughts.

1. Yep, after reading comments, the E2DL may not be the 'ideal' choice for an EDC afterall. She probably wouldn't feel comfortable pulling it out in a group of friends, they'd think shes a psycho:hairpull: And in the worst case scenario when she's being chased after or about to be assaulted, I doubt she'd think of getting a flashlight out of her purse. Maybe a keychain spike (kubaton i think????, not sure what they're called) is a better option for that.

2. The Fenix L0D is defiinitely a sleek option with an cheap AA power source. I'm not sure how keen she'd be on the multimodes though. And I don't have a D10 yet (though I want one), how comfortable she'd be with the ramping sequence I'm not sure.

3. A Photon certainly is an option. Can anyone tell me benefits of that versus a .99 Lighthound freebie you get when placing a $75+ order?

4. Quite a few recommendations for E1B. That may be the way to go.

So I think I may have narrowed it down a bit. Probably will go with a coincell cheapie for keychain, either an L1 or E1B for purse/person carry, and I may splurge and get her a E2DL to keep in car next to emergency brake handle too, I don't know. Cost sure added up fast:sssh: Thanks for the advice so far, anyone else want to contribute.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest an E1B, a lady smith revolver, and training (the most important aspect.) This may sound over the top but if a criminal is going to do something (rob, stick up, attack, rape, murder, etc. etc.) you want to be better than him/her. Situational awareness and mental preparation are important of all. I let my guard down when I pulled over and started to text on my phone (not safe to do it while driving) and a freaking meter maid blipped my registration and said no standing in a commercial zone, I was like wth, so I drove off, not even going to let him have the dignity of handing me a ticket, have the postal guy give it to me. That was a lesson learned to always be aware of your surroundings. You can usually prevent most incidents by knowing your surroundings. I could have drove off if I saw him coming but my vision was engrossed in my blackberry...

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
highly recommend the L0D...i gave one to a female friend...and she uses it alot!

its small, and thus more likely to be carried. Especially if thier on her keys.

Crenshaw

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The real question is whether she will EDC such a light as the post above mentions. It's not very small and it may get left behind. Also it uses 123 batteries which for a non-flashaholic may be too exotic. I'd recommend a AA size light. Maybe a Nitecore D10 or a Liteflux. Or a keychain size light like an Arc AAA.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, 10 replies just overnight, with helpful tips from all!! Thanks CPF, I love this board. I'll try to respond a bit with some adapted thoughts.

1. Yep, after reading comments, the E2DL may not be the 'ideal' choice for an EDC afterall. She probably wouldn't feel comfortable pulling it out in a group of friends, they'd think shes a psycho:hairpull: And in the worst case scenario when she's being chased after or about to be assaulted, I doubt she'd think of getting a flashlight out of her purse. Maybe a keychain spike (kubaton i think????, not sure what they're called) is a better option for that.

I would, in all honesty, forgo the weapons unless she's of a mind to use them. And is willing to learn how to use them. A kubotan is simple and effective, but you have to know how to use it and be confident in its use. Kubotan.

4. Quite a few recommendations for E1B. That may be the way to go.

I'd have to agree - additionally, the "melted edges" would be a plus for her purse.

For a car light, I'd suggest the G2L in yellow - throw in a SF battery case and batteries to round out the lot. The strike bezel might raise eyebrows if the car is searched; the G2L won't.

-Trevor

GPB

Enlightened
I have found that buying a gift of something that I am really into, like a flashlight, for someone who is not so into them does nothing but cause me frustration. I have stopped doing it. If someone asks me to pick them up a light, knife, etc, I get them a functional cheapie. I get frustrated when someone has a specialized high quality item and doesn't appreciate it or take care of it. ( I can't blame someone for not respecting a $100 flashlight if they didn't pick it out and pay for it either though ) If I was giving anyone a light these days, I'd get them 2 AA minimag or Energizer LED for 20 bucks and they'd be thrilled. If it was for their home or car, I'd get them a 3D MagLED and be done with it. I also tell them that if they ever want more from their light, I'd be glad to talk to them or show them some options, even let them borrow a better light for a while...but no one ever takes me up on it.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
I have found that buying a gift of something that I am really into, like a flashlight, for someone who is not so into them does nothing but cause me frustration. I have stopped doing it. If someone asks me to pick them up a light, knife, etc, I get them a functional cheapie. I get frustrated when someone has a specialized high quality item and doesn't appreciate it or take care of it. ( I can't blame someone for not respecting a $100 flashlight if they didn't pick it out and pay for it either though ) If I was giving anyone a light these days, I'd get them 2 AA minimag or Energizer LED for 20 bucks and they'd be thrilled. If it was for their home or car, I'd get them a 3D MagLED and be done with it. I also tell them that if they ever want more from their light, I'd be glad to talk to them or show them some options, even let them borrow a better light for a while...but no one ever takes me up on it.

I have quite the opposite experience, I've given away... *counts up* three 6PLs and one E1B, all of which were received extremely well. I received a call from my dad the other day where he extolled the virtues of having a 6PL. The girlfriend loves the E1B (she has had it for 5 months and has only had to replace the battery once). I gave her a few CR123s to kick around with. My other friends (6PLs) well, they know electronics and know exactly what quality is, and are aware of the batteries. Truth be told, I've never had an issue with finding CR123s cheaply.

Oh well.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Get her an E1B. It's bright, simple, bomb-proof and small.

The E2DL is relatively small but I would not classify it as a small purse-friendly or pocket-friendly light. Plus, IMO the strike bezel is somewhat overrated and might give someone a false sense of security. In the hands of a 200lb man it might be effective. A 120lb woman is far more likely to be overpowered if she tries to fight back, strike bezel or not, IMO.