Dead Surefire E2

Catdaddy

Enlightened
Wow! After waiting a week for my E2 Executive from Botach, the thing ran for about 1 minute on and off. Then the next time I took it out and tried it, it was DEAD! No light at all. I checked the batteries, twisted the tailcap, etc...but no light. I can't imagine what's wrong. What do I do? Do I call Botach?...Surefire?
Thanks.
confused.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Well you did get it from Botach.

Do you have a way to check the abtteries? They could be bad or maybe the lamp blew. If it is the lamp I would give Surefire and call and explain what happened.

Was it really bright and white when it did work?

DonL

Enlightened
Yeah, check the batteries. Some have been having random problems with the SF123s.

Either way, you can give SF a call, they're customer service has a habit of taking care of problems such as this very quickly.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more thing to check is the bezel. If it is backed off even a little bit, no light!!!

Catdaddy

Enlightened
I checked the batteries first. Then I checked the tailcap. I really didn't want to go through the touble of sending it back to Botach and waiting for a replacement. So, I called Surefire and they said it was most likely the lamp so they are mailing me a new one today. Only negative is that it is coming regular US Mail. Guess I will have to play with my new Arc LSs and Arc AAA until that bulb comes. They are fun lights but do not serve the same function as the E2.

One more question if you don't mind. How do i remove the clip on the E2? Some pictures I have seen of other show it being attached with a small screw. Mine has a smooth head, sort of like a rivit.

Thanks for responding so quickly to my earlier post.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's a rivet, you have to cut the rivet off to remove the tail cap...I don't think it unscrews...

--dan

bucken

Enlightened
Like Sunspot said, be sure and check that the bezel is tight. Sometimes this technique is used as a "poor man's lockout". Just back off the bezel slightly, and it will never get turned on accidently.

-bucken-

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Catdaddy:
Wow! After waiting a week for my E2 Executive from Botach, the thing ran for about 1 minute on and off. Then the next time I took it out and tried it, it was DEAD! No light at all. I checked the batteries, twisted the tailcap, etc...but no light. I can't imagine what's wrong. What do I do? Do I call Botach?...Surefire?
Thanks.
confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While you are awaiting the arrival of the new bulb, why don't you (just for kicks) hook up the bulb assembly to a 6v. power source, and see for sure if it's burnt out?

Darell

Flashaholic
Ooh. Good you guys. I totally forgot about the bezel lockout. That has happened to me before too. You don't realize how little it takes to create the lockout feature. Be sure that thing is on tight!

Steve-at-Springboard

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't hook the bulb up to just any 6 volt source, at least not one with more current available than 2 dl23s. I haven't measured the E2 but with the 6P, the 6-volt open circuit voltage drops to about 4 volts under the 1 amp load. I think ANY P60 bulb would test as burnt out if connected to a regulated lab supply set at 6 volts and capable or supplying a couple of amps, or, at least it would be burnt out less than a second later.
BTW, the B65 Ni-cad pack has an open-circuit voltage of 4.8 volts, as expected. But, under similar load, only drops to 4.2 volts. Thats why the 6R rechargeable light comes with the R60 bulb. In spite of information to the contrary, using the P60 bulb in a 6R will cause very short bulb life (like one hour or less). Just saw it happen last week. This may be related to the overnight charger for the 6R. The rapid charger may not have this problem.
Anyhow, test your bulb with an VOM or low current continuity checker.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock's tables tested the E2 light at 5.0 V and 1.0 A off of 2 @ Cr123's. Surefire says that the P60 will deliver only 50 Lumens off the B65 compared to 65 off of 123's.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The B65 can power the P60 & N1 lamps.
The B65 will also power the P61.

Now-a-days, the B65 is recharged using the rapid/smart recharger. I don't know if this makes the B65 batteries more stable.

Al