Perfect UI for multi-level-LED-lights????

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

I would like to ask you, what would be in your opinion the perfect User Interface (UI) for a multi-level-LED-flashlight? Please discribe also where or how you would use this light and why you think, this would be the perfect UI!

I will start:

As a LEO, I would use a tactical light on duty. There I would like to have:

2 modes:
Tactical Mode (TM) and General Mode (GM).

Tactical Mode: max. brightness - strobe
General Mode: low - mid - high - rescue beacon

To change between the modes:
You would have to turn a switch (i.e. like Fenix (turn the bezel), like SF Optimus/Invictus (turn selectorring) or like Gladius / Inforce (turn selectorring at tailcap) - I would preferre the last one).

The UI:
For tactical applications, my light would need a momentary on/off as well as constant on. So, for the UI to operate, the light would need to distinguish between press and click and if the light is on or off.

Light is off:
press: momentary on (release press and light is off)
click: constant on (in first stage of selected mode)

Light is on:
press: change to next stage (so you can circle through all the stages of the selected mode)
click: light is off

Why would I preferre such an UI?
Simply because it is simple! I would not need a memory mode, because I would always know, in witch mode it goes on, if needed (max. brightness on TM or low on GM). I would have momentary on instantly, constant on is just a click away and if I need the strobe, it is just a press away. That is easy to memorise, easy to handle and - most of all - secure in stress-situations.

That would be the perfect UI for me! But I did not find a light with this UI! I kown, there are several good (like the Gladius and - as it seems - the new Inova Inforce or the Fenix P3D I am actually using), but nothing to really satisfy me!

So let's see you "perfect UI"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephan

Marduke

Flashaholic
Photon's Freedom UI is perfect for me. It has instant access to both high and low low, while features like strobe, beacon, SOS, and momentary are all still there and just pushed out of the way.

If they made a high power white-only (Proton Pro with no red), it would be the last light I would need for a very long time.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Stephan_L - isn't a Fenix P2D/P3D with a forward clickie module exactly what you've described? :thinking:

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi Orcinus,

isn't a Fenix P2D/P3D with a forward clickie module exactly what you've described? :thinking:

I don't really know! My P3D has a reverse clickie. I read something about the forward clickie module, but the people were not really enjoying it!
I once asked 4sevens (www.fenix-store.com) about it. He told me to switch between (i.e.) low-med-high, I would have to turn the light off and on (2 clicks). So that is not what I was thinking of!

Hi Rogerg,

Yes, I have read about the LF5XT! Maybe I am going to take a closer look on it. The HDS has not been in my focus yet, so maybe, I am going to have a look! Thank you!

Bye,

Stephan

Marduke

Flashaholic
Hi Orcinus,

I don't really know! My P3D has a reverse clickie. I read something about the forward clickie module, but the people were not really enjoying it!
I once asked 4sevens (www.fenix-store.com) about it. He told me to switch between (i.e.) low-med-high, I would have to turn the light off and on (2 clicks). So that is not what I was thinking of!

When the light is already in a mode you would have to. But when the light is off, a series of soft taps will cycle through the modes without fully engaging the switch.

Yapo

Enlightened
i like hds/novatac's UI...double n triple click and press n hold at anytime for different modes seems nice n simple to remember without having to go through each mode or rememberin wat mode u were last using. although lights with last mode memory can be good in some cases if you nearly always want that level of light when you turn it on.

I dont like lights with both clicky n twisty for changing modes like my Olight T10 as i have to flip my torch 180 degrees in my hand after i click it on, with my thumb, to twist it to another mode or i have to use my other hand to twist it...it just doesnt feel right or maybe i'm using it wrong:thinking:

Last edited:

Gator762

Enlightened
Hi Orcinus,

Hi Rogerg,

Yes, I have read about the LF5XT! Maybe I am going to take a closer look on it. The HDS has not been in my focus yet, so maybe, I am going to have a look! Thank you!

Bye,

Stephan

The Fenix has the UI exactly as you describe but with reverse clicky.

Trouble is, it's difficult to have the mode changes with a forward clicky. Personally, I don't get the difference, unless you want momentary for signaling, or it's mounted on a weapon. The other drawback with the mode changes will be waiting 2 seconds after it's off or you'll be back on in strobe mode.

I think if you want "tactical" you'll probably want to sacrifice some of the mode selections.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
imho, the smart PD lights (D10, EX10) have the closest to perfect UI I've ever used. No UI will be 100% perfect, the these lights are darn close.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
The Novatac UI is perfect for me:

1 Click=Ultra Low .08 Lumens

2 Clicks=Emergency Strobe

3 Clicks=120 Lumen

2 Clicks and Hold=60 Lumen General Mode

HeadCSO

Enlightened
I really like the interfaces on the NDI and D10. If only there was a way of combining the two.

On the NDI, I like that I can set a custom level, but still have high available without affecting the custom setting.

On the D10, I like the one handed operation and the ease of setting a custom light level and the ability to instantly switch back to high or low.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that an NDI with the D10's ease of setting the low mode would be great. They should also change the bezel so that there are two defined positions, possibly clicked into, it is easier to operate, and doesn't come off.

In other, possibly clearer words, I'd love to see a D10 that, when the bezel is clicked in one direction, will come on on max, or stobe if clicked in that mode.

Katdaddy

Enlightened
i like hds/novatac's UI...double n triple click and press n hold at anytime for different modes seems nice n simple to remember without having to go through each mode or rememberin wat mode u were last using. although lights with last mode memory can be good in some cases if you nearly always want that level of light when you turn it on.

I dont like lights with both clicky n twisty for changing modes like my Olight T10 as i have to flip my torch 180 degrees in my hand after i click it on, with my thumb, to twist it to another mode or i have to use my other hand to twist it...it just doesnt feel right or maybe i'm using it wrong:thinking:
+1 on the HDS UI. IMHO this is perfect. I have several lights and my HDS U60 is the one I use most often.

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
I totally agree with you Stephan L.

I find the UI of lights like the D10, 120P, and similar to be far too complex to use in a stressed enviornment.

I find a simple way to see if a UI is too complex is to hand the light to someone totally unfamiliar with it and see what they can figure out in a short timeframe without difficulty.

The ability to go to full power with one click (if the light is set to TM) is a huge plus to me on my E2DL and P3D / L1D EDC lights.

As an example, I recently purchased a EDC light for my brother. Since he's not a Flashaholic, I knew to get him something simple to operate and decided on the Fenix L1D Q5 (my usual EDC). There is nothing to program or even learn really.

I'm a HUGE believer in the KISS prinicple.

:rock:

lightsandknives

Enlightened
I've struggled with this dilemma for some time now. Most times, I want a moderately low setting (15 lumens or so) to come on first, like my L1D. But sometimes, for those times when I need too see way out there quickly, I would prefer to have some type of tactical light so high comes on first, and low later if I really need it.

What to do......

The only way I can work around it is to carry two lights! One comes on low, one high. I just reach for the right one now!

My L1D comes close to the perfect UI for me. I can twist the bezel tight, and it will come on turbo as soon as I turn it on. If I leave the bezel loose, it will come on low. I just wish it had some knurling for grip like my D10 and EX10 do.