Alternatives to Fenix L2D-Q5?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there another 2xAA lite that's about as bright as Fenix L2D-Q5?

I want the same lumens, 180-200.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read somewhere that the T25 tactical had better runtime than the standard T25 somehow.

The L2D is still one hell of a light even if it does have its drawbacks.

Edit: Light-revews.com compared the two and found out that the tactical one ran for longer.

Last edited:

brucec

Enlightened
I would basically put the L2D Q5 as the best in its class. Nothing else is going to beat its efficiency and versatility. It could use better knurling, though. The Fenix P2D/L1D/L2D Q5 head is a real winner in my opinion. The best alternative is to wait for a newer version.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I would basically put the L2D Q5 as the best in its class. Nothing else is going to beat its efficiency and versatility. It could use better knurling, though. The Fenix P2D/L1D/L2D Q5 head is a real winner in my opinion. The best alternative is to wait for a newer version.

It might have the best efficiency but the most versatile light is the JetBeam Jet-I Pro EX. It has 3 settings and your can program each settings to your liking (Light level, strobes, sos).

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would basically put the L2D Q5 as the best in its class. Nothing else is going to beat its efficiency and versatility. It could use better knurling, though.
Yes Fenix's L/P series that use the same head are brilliant but the knurling is poor which the main dissapointment for me, well between better knurling and a super low mode!

I guess for the next generation of Fenix Lights the knurling will have improved and hopefully a sub 1 lumen low mode will be in there somewhere too!

BTW. I just read that the Olight T25 (standard) uses a different circuit than the T25 tactical hence the runtime differences.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
There's actually two 2AA Jetbeams, the EX and the EX V2 - according to BOG:

V2 Features different from JET-I PRO EX:
Tailstand function
Forward clickie
Metal retaining ring
Lock-out function
Protective function(even the batteries are mistakenly set, it will not burn out)

and the V2 looks like it has a larger head/reflector so it probably throws better.

But the main feature is IBS - the ability to set any brightness level or strobe/SOS feature you want and then save it to one of three memory slots easily puts these Jetbeam models well ahead of the competition. That and the fact that either have a much lower low than the Fenix, all the way down to 2 lumens - one of the prime reasons for buying a 2AA light is longevity, and while the L2D's 3+ days runtime is impressive, the Jetbeam could probably do a full week :eek:

brucec

Enlightened
That and the fact that either have a much lower low than the Fenix, all the way down to 2 lumens - one of the prime reasons for buying a 2AA light is longevity, and while the L2D's 3+ days runtime is impressive, the Jetbeam could probably do a full week :eek:

Why get a Jetbeam to run at low low?? 2+ hours on turbo in the L2D is a lot more useful to me than <1hr max in the Jetbeam.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
2+ hours on turbo in the L2D is a lot more useful to me than <1hr max in the Jetbeam.

The JetBeam's max is brighter than the Fenix "Turbo" setting, 200 vs 180 lumens. The Fenix does have an edge in efficiency, however the JetBeam's IBS interface means you can more selectively and precisely choose a brightness setting for output or runtime.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW the Olight's are the brightest according to light-reviews.com

Fenix L2D CE Q5:
Turbo Spot 3030 Lux
Turbo Spill 108 Lux

Olight T25
Level 5 Spot 5380 Lux
Level 5 Spill 138 Lux

Olight T25-T
Level 3 Spot 5840 Lux
Level 3 Spill 145 Lux

JETBeam JET-I Pro EX V2.0
Default High Spot 3020 Lux
Default High Spill 115 Lux

pipspeak

Enlightened
The only one I'm considering is the T25. Jets just don't float my boat, for some reason.

However I have to say that the L2D-Q5 with a tactical forward clicky and smooth reflector is a mighty fine light and its runtime can't be beat. It's also smaller than the olight.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight T25
Level 5 Spot 5380 Lux
Level 5 Spill 138 Lux

Olight T25-T
Level 3 Spot 5840 Lux
Level 3 Spill 145 Lux
Is there a reason for the difference between the Tactical and the regular atthe max levels?

Oh man, I dont know which one to get now. I'd like to have more levels but I want the slightly higher numbers of the Tactical. I'm going to have a mighty large shopping cart from batteryjunction thats for sure.

By the way, the L2D's are still my favoured light but is there a reason as to why you were looking for an alternative?

Zenster

Enlightened
The only one I'm considering is the T25. Jets just don't float my boat, for some reason.

However I have to say that the L2D-Q5 with a tactical forward clicky and smooth reflector is a mighty fine light and its runtime can't be beat. It's also smaller than the olight.

I've got a couple L2D-Q5's and was considering the T25, but the L2D tailstands and the T25 doesn't. For what I use a light in this class for, that's a bit of a deal breaker.
Other than that one gotch'a, the T25 is probably the one light that gives the L2D some real competition (in my opinion).