Rossymeister

Enlightened
I prefer the E1B:

-Uses a TIR optic to increase throw
-Has A K.I.S.S. Interface
-And the overall main reason,Made In The USA

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix cost about half of course...and has 4 power levels. Might translate into longer batt life. The longer Surefire throw comes at the expense of spill...you get more tunnel vision effect.

A Surefire bought now will hold it`s value well with the up coming price increases.

lumenal

Enlightened
The longer Surefire throw comes at the expense of spill...you get more tunnel vision effect.

Not exactly...the E1B uses the uses the latest-generation TIR optic, which rivals the beams of smooth-reflectored lights, but without the rings.

While this optic emits a blinding central beam, there is also plenty of spill, unlike previous generation TIR optics.

If you want tunnel-vision, try an Inova with their old TIROS optic.

Or even a pre-CREE L1, the beam is square, with virtually no spill.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I considered the E1B when it first came out, though was wary of the TIR optic; collimators tend to throw an intense hotspot and nothing else. While the example in the E1B provides an unusually good spillbeam for a collimator, it's still not on par with Fenix's reflector, which I among many consider the standard for hotspot/spill balance.

What it comes down to is if you/I owned both the E1B and the P2D, which would we "go to" more often? I think the smaller form factor, all-purpose beam, and higher high of the Fenix would win out over the tougher skin, piercing throw, and lower low of the Surefire. But it is, after all, a matter of taste.

Lane

Newly Enlightened
P2D will be brighter overall, E1B will have more throw due to it's optic.

I own both and I'd have to say this is true. I prefer the E1B because of the stronger throw. The difference in overall amount of light is not very much. :thumbsup: