Gladius LED identification

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can some one tell me what this is? Im slowly learning about LEDs but I have yet to amass the knowledge you CPFers hold.

I was able to open the head. strap wrenches really are the best.

gladiusledtb6.jpg

I know there is an online retailer that mods these from the stock 80 Lumens to 160 lumens.

Is this something I could do myself? I plan to start modding my E1L KL1 head with a seoul and reflector.

In the case of the gladius, what LED could I use to get more lumen output from it? I would prefer something along the lines of what malkoff is getting. 235+ lumens would be ideal.

Do you think it is an easy job of just replacing the LED? So I would just have to solder off the stock LED and put something in that is more robust?

Marduke

Flashaholic
The LED is a Lux III. You can remove the star (the black thing) and replace it with a SSC P4-U for roughly double the output. It requires thermal epoxy such as Arctic Alumina and a soldering iron. I think there is a how-to thread on this exact replacement around here somewhere.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Not really without also changing out the circuitry, which I would not advise since it's an integral part of that light. The SSC P4-U also works well with the stock reflectors used by Lux III's.

edit:
Here's one location for the LED star
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1445

If this is your first mod, I would recommend getting two in case one is accidentally :poof:ed

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I'd buy a Seoul P4 emitter here. Ordering from dealextreme means a 2+ week wait for shipping from china. Plus you have no idea what sort of tint you'll get form DX. PhotonFanatic's sources only the best LEDs available.

But pretty much yea its rather easy to replace the star on a gladius. Enjoy!

The Sun

Enlightened
I don't know if this will help you or not. It seems that you want to get som experience with mods. but if you are looking for a GLADIUS with more output Insight Tech Gear makes what they call a H2X Typhoon 2 with an advertised 170 lumen output. It is the exact same as the GLADIUS it uses the same body. bezel, and the tailcap is actually specified as a BLACKHAWK GLADIUS part number. They sell the Typhoon at tacticalleds.com on sale and it comes with a BLACKHAWK GLADIUS U-MOD holster. i own both lights and i can tell you there are useful improvements: exceptionally brighter than the GLADIUS, and about two steps lower one extreme low. They even come in the exact same box. i'm not sure if the two companies are the same or if they are sister companies (Insight Tech Gear / Blackhawk). But, the lights are identical except for the improvements mentioned above. i'm gonna keep the Typhoon, and give the GLADIUS to my mother-in-law whos a prison gaurd, and carries a mag. it will be a great improvement for her. anyway, hope the info is useful for you.:rock: