looking for a flood light

cookiem68

Newly Enlightened
G'day All,
Currently have a DX MTE SSC P7 2 mode, Love it with the exception of the burn time. Can any one suggest something of similar output, 1x18650. I am not looking for a thrower, I have a Fenix TK11. I want something that floods.
Cheers,
Matt

spgrk

Newly Enlightened
I don't think it's possible to get anything with a similar output but longer runtime on the one battery. The SSC P7 is direct-driven on high in most of the DX lights that use it, and you can't get a more efficient circuit than that. To get longer runtime you would need a more efficient emitter; you could try something with multiple Cree Q5's or R2's, but the difference would probably be only marginal.

surfinsmiley

Newly Enlightened
I`m looking for the same sorta thing.....

2 or 3 18650`s is OK by me though. I just want a Flood light with no real hotspot and I really can`t find one.

kurni

Enlightened
I`m looking for the same sorta thing.....

2 or 3 18650`s is OK by me though. I just want a Flood light with no real hotspot and I really can`t find one.

How's this one?

comp-out.gif

comp-all.gif

Details here http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=182157

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made my own diffuser using Glad Press n Seal on BOTH sides of the stock M@g lens.
On only one side I get a biggish hotspot with a donut hole (focussing does not change that).
I originally made it for my 2C M@gLED but works well for my Elektrolumens 3C P7.
Glad Press n Seal does not apply as well on my MTE P7. It tends to pull off the lens rather than cut. (I was unable to get my MTE head off to get at the lens by itself. As many others have modded the light I think the head does come off.)
Both satin scotch tape & Glad Press n Seal leave goo on the lens if left on for long enough so I am treating this as an irreversible mod. Not a problem for the M@g as I can get separate UCL lenses for it when I do not need diffusion.

Filter-for-mag.jpg

M@gP7 no filter:
Filter-none-MgP7.jpg

M@gP7 with homemade diffusion filter:
Filter-MgP7.jpg

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 ways to make diffusers that work quite well.

The first is to take the plastic 2 liter soda bottles (clear) and cut them into sheets from around the middle. I have an orbital sander "mouse". With fine grit paper like 320 I sand one side of the sheet and then cut it into circles matching that of the lens. I simply put it in with the sanded side facing the light source. Makes a very nice uniform diffuser. If you need it to be more diffuse than that sand both sides.

The other method is to take the original plastic lens of the mag light and sand it down with the same fine grit orbital sander. Since I have several borafloat and UCL replacements, the original plastic can be sacrificed. This seems to be somewhat brighter. I only sanded it on the one side facing the light source.

Start with 320 grit or finer, 400 grit or so. Don't use course grit or you will see it in the beam.

I wash the sanded unit off with water and pat it dry with a cotton towel before I use it.

Doesn't cut down on the light that much either.