LED Bulb for Pila GL4?

Underworld_Magic

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have an old version of the Pila GL4 - and its really expensive replacing the Xenon bulb, Its about £15 everytime; so i thought id ask, is there any LED replacement available for this torch?

Thanks.

PS. the torch takes 4x CR123A batteries (12v) and i think the output with the Xenon bulb is about 200 lumens.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my knowledge no one has made an LED dropin for the GL4 but there was some discussion about it here.

BTW: with low output assembly GL4 does 300lm on CR123 and 170lm on rechargeable

with high output assembly, 550lm on CR123 and 250lm on rechargeable.

with lumens factory EO-9L, 450lm on rechargeable (if it fits)

Underworld_Magic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your replies,

Ive checked the EO-9L - and the description states it will work in the GL4, but again its a Xenon, i was looking for a LED assembly.

I checked the D36 3.7-13V Cree R2 WC LED - I cant see why it shouldnt work in the GL4, just depends if it'll fit. Ill give it a try.

Thanks for all your help.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D36 style dropin definitely fits the old style Pila gl4 (it's the same as the Wolfeyes).

Anyone know if it fits the new one too?

mdocod

Flashaholic
you might call up Mike at PTS and ask if he knows, he's very knowledgeable on the product he sells and might be able to say for sure.

Glen C

Enlightened
Underworld Magic, it will fit. I supplied one for a GL4 on Friday and have supplied a few over the last year. I would probably recommend changing to rechargeables at the same time.

Underworld_Magic

Newly Enlightened
Underworld Magic, it will fit. I supplied one for a GL4 on Friday and have supplied a few over the last year. I would probably recommend changing to rechargeables at the same time.

Thanks for your reply and the confirmation, i was thinking about rechargeables, but they are 3.2v - 3.7v each (CR123A) - surely they will do some damage to the torch?

mdocod

Flashaholic
The wolf-eyes LED module has a buck regulating circuit in it that will work on any voltage from ~3.7-13V.

I do NOT suggest using 4 3.7V RCR123 cells in that torch, that could fry the circuit.

The GL4, (and M90) are really designed to be used with 2 18650 cells for a rechargeable configuration. Which are also called LRB-168A cells by Wolf-Eyes, and 600P cells by Pila.

An 18650 cell is twice the length of a CR123, and has the same 3.7V, but more capacity than a RCR123. So 2 of them in series will fill your GL4 and will provide ~7.4V nominal, well within the acceptable voltage of the Wolf-Eyes D36 LED drop-in.

Using this same 2x18650 setup, you could also use the LumensFactory EO-9L with 450 bulb lumen :) (around 300 torch lumen)....

Eric

Underworld_Magic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for all yoru help, looks like ill be getting those rechargeables and the D36 would make it all complete, 123A batteries can get expensive - so these rechargeables would really pay off after a while.

thanks again for your help.