Army On The Lookout For Better Flashlight

guam9092

Newly Enlightened
For those who are active/retired members of the Armed Forces, I got the Aug. 18th issue of 'The Army Times' which has an article about the U.S. Army searching for a new flashlight. It is on page 22 and it showed eleven of the twenty one that are being looked at. It even included a web address showing the complete list. The address is as follows: http://peosoldieramy.mil/pmseq/fof.asp
I believe his login name is 'Radar Greg' and I'm wondering if he is still around if he can shed any light on this subject?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how do we let them know the NovaTac no longer the best EDC?
It is the best! The Clicky is not shipping and Twisty is not the right interface for them. Maybe in a few months after shipping and some field testing your statement might be true for some.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
For those who are active/retired members of the Armed Forces, I got the Aug. 18th issue of 'The Army Times' which has an article about the U.S. Army searching for a new flashlight. It is on page 22 and it showed eleven of the twenty one that are being looked at. It even included a web address showing the complete list. The address is as follows: http://peosoldieramy.mil/pmseq/fof.asp
I believe his login name is 'Radar Greg' and I'm wondering if he is still around if he can shed any light on this subject?

What? I'm in the Family of Flashlights article???

The PEO Soldier FoF lists several lights that meet certain technical and requirements specifications. There are a bunch of Surefire lights (no surprise there) as well as Streamlight and First-Light flashlights. There is even a special logo that manufacturers can add to their lights verifying they meet the FoF specs, although I've not seen one in the wild here in Iraq. I think the purpose of the PEO Soldier list is to give members of the military a baseline in which to choose lights suited for their purpose. It guarantees the lights have been tested and deemed suitable for military operations. I don't think it tries to select the one "Holy Grail" of lights, but lets you know of several that might work out well.

Maybe when I finish up this deployment I can take a trip to Ft. Belvoir and meet up with the PEO Soldier guys. Lights and sensors are right up there in my line of work and it would be interesting to see who their lighting experts are.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad the First Light angle lights are under consideration. I would take a Fenix TK11 if I had to go overseas... but the First Light would make a nice free backup!