My trip to target

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went to target today and was lookin at all the flashlights and wanted to ask you guys about a few:
- I saw a inova x1 1AA, anyone know the battery life on that? There was also a river rock 1AA with a 5mm nichia that claimed to have 30 hours of life to it that I was wondering if anyone had experience with?I am interested in finding a light like the gerber UI.
- I was very interested in this tripod light anyone heard anything about them?
0817081702zr2.jpg

-last, it looked pretty crappy, but a multi-level light that takes d batteries sounds very neat:
0817081654wx2.jpg

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the link, wow, the brinkmann got a much better review than I would've expect and even has a decent bulb in it, thats a really pity though they didnt increase the cost a little to improve the build quality.

Last edited:

Retinator

Enlightened
Well the Inova X1 isn't a bad light, it's just not spectacular.

I'm guessing Gen 2's are hard to find now. And you can tell a Gen 2 from gen 3 by the LED.

Gen2 has a glassy looking 'bubble' for a LED, behind the lens. The recent gen 3 has a deeper reflector with a very small flat yellow LED at the bottom.

Gen 2 is pretty prized, it ran dimly but for about 10 hrs while the gen 3 is slightly brighter (more throw) but only runs around 2 hrs.

The Mini Tripods are ok lights. They're best used as room lights in a blackout as you can stand them up and point them straight up, 45 degree angle or a full 90 degree (horizontal).

If you look at Stanley's site, they have updated their tripods to even better specs, but I can't tell you from the top of my head.

The Mini Tripods also run off of 3 or 4 button cell batteries and will ikely cost more to feed the light than to buy a new one.

Hope that helps some. Also try googling Inova X1, to get a look at the gen 2/3 differences. Not sure if I explained it well enough.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand exactly what you are talking about, thanks alot for the info. Yeah, the leds on the stanley definitely looked pretty shoddy, which is a pity because I've read the build quality is actually quite decent and I think the design is awesome how it can work as a normal handheld light or a tripod. Oh well. The two I saw ran off either 3AA's or (gasp) 9AA's, although it said it could take anywhere between 3 and 9, which is also neat.

yalskey

Enlightened
I have the larger version of that tripod light, and it's not really all that great. I'm not sure what emitters they use, but it isn't very bright at all. I used it outside to fix my gate on my fence before a storm came in at night. It didn't really light up the area very bright. In the end I just didn't use it. I love the idea of the light, but the emitters need to be pumped up.

Triple P7 mod anyone?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have a newer version of the tripod using high powered led, duno if it's luxeon or cree. It's the same head with a single magnifier lens, looks like something out of war of the worlds.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Last I saw the Stanley it was a Luxeon. There was a new model in this month's Popular Science where each 1/3 of the light could be used together, or completely separated into 3 individual lights.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I saw the Stanley with a Luxeon at a BJ's Warehouse today. I think the price was $29.99. They also had the old style for maybe half that. Ace is also selling the old style for $10 after rebate.

Geoff

Pistolero

Enlightened
- I saw a inova x1 1AA, anyone know the battery life on that? There was also a river rock 1AA with a 5mm nichia that claimed to have 30 hours of life to it that I was wondering if anyone had experience with?I am interested in finding a light like the gerber UI.

The Inova would have the same interface and operation as the Gerber. The new X1's don't run very long tho. A lot of people were disappointed by the Gen3s 2hr runtime. The older Gen2 had a 10hr runtime, iirc.

If the River Rock 1xaa is the on that I'm thinking of, it's a neat and simple little light. Green barrel, push button on the barrel ( not the tail) and the head is a bit bigger. It's got two modes. Standard lighting for 30hrs. Strobe lighting for 60hrs. However, it has a plastic bubble optic on the end and that produces a giant orb of light with no spill/flood. Just a big blue orb of light. It's not great, but I haven't found another good 1xAA light for under $20 that gives that long of runtime with decentish light.

I keep one in the glove box for mapreading and emergencies. On strobe, you can put an opaque film canister or a prescription bottle over the head and use it as a beacon.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The recent gen 3 has a deeper reflector with a very small flat yellow LED at the bottom.

I do not know if this applies to the gen 3 only or not, but my two gen 3's are pieces of useless junk. Not even worth the $5 each I paid for them on clearance. Unless you torque waaaay down hard on the screw trail cap, the light just sits there strobing. To get it to stay on steady, I have to screw down so hard on it that it puts dents in the ends of the cell. Cleaning contacts seems to help a little, but it doesn't last more than a few days before it starts again. This X1 (gen 3, anyway) has a serious contact/voltage problem. I've had far too many problems with this supposed "high quality" flashlight manufacturers products. What good is Made-in-USA and a lifetime warranty if the design of so many Inova products is fundamentally flawed?

Last edited:

The 8th Man

Newly Enlightened
I picked up the Brinkmann 3W CREE digital dimming flashlight and it's not bad for the money, the beam is really great, I used it during a backout one night and I could see way off in the distance on only the second setting putting it up to full was amazing, I do wish they had put more time into the build of it but for the money you can't go wrong.

Retinator

Enlightened
I do not know if this applies to the gen 3 only or not, but my two gen 3's are pieces of useless junk. Not even worth the $5 each I paid for them on clearance. Unless you torque waaaay down hard on the screw trail cap, the light just sits there strobing. To get it to stay on steady, I have to screw down so hard on it that it puts dents in the ends of the cell. Cleaning contacts seems to help a little, but it doesn't last more than a few days before it starts again. This X1 (gen 3, anyway) has a serious contact/voltage problem. I've had far too many problems with this supposed "high quality" flashlight manufacturers products. What good is Made-in-USA and a lifetime warranty if the design of so many Inova products is fundamentally flawed?

Funny, mine will shut off for no reason even when the tailcap is tightened. The only way I can restart it is to slam it down sideways on the floor. Then it's ok for the rest of the night. The X1's momentary is very flickery, even with thumbs of steel. The X5 isn't as bad, but not perfect either. I'd hope the 'T' series is much better.