Thoughts on the E1B.

Any Cal.

Enlightened
Hello all.

I just got the E1B, and thought I should tell about it. I own just a few lights, and buy them only when they have something special. The current competition in my home for the E1B is a Nitecore D10 and a Fenix P3D.

I had given away my last Surefire, so was glad at the chance to get another. All the reviews said the Backup was E-series compatible, and quite a thrower for a single cell light. It also has the new Clickie switch, so I figured I had a better than 75% chance of getting a good one.:crackup:

Anyway, once it got dark, things got interesting. I have to say that the beam on this is quite good. It is a true single cell spotlight. I am able to see at 200' with this like I can see at 130' with my P3D. Impressive for distances. The low mode is useful without being blinding up close. All in all, I am impressed.

This light is NOT the one I would want for a duty light, or a backup duty light, due to the UI and the spot beam. Realistically, it should have been called the EDC. It seems an excellent light for that. I am also considering buying a Zebralight H30 to go with it. That would give a nice flood beam while out in the woods, but with a spotting ability when needed, both using the same batteries.

Now for the bad part. To me, the tailcap seems trashy. The rubber feels like it will tear off, and the switch feels like it has potmetal springs in it, with all the attendant creaking upon actuation. I know many like clickies, but I am not impressed with this one.

The ano looked good when I got it, but there were scratches in the tailcap from my key keeper after just an hour or two of wearing it. Once again, not impressed.

The clip does allow carry in either direction, but bezel up carry will result in a lost light, due to the location of the clip. It is nice to have any clip on the light though.

In my opinion, the head of this light is great. The body and tail though, only have merit in that they are E- compatible. I do not believe the machining is any better than the Nitecore, and the ano does not seem impressive at all. The P3D looked better after a year than this did after 1 hour.

So..this light makes an excellent one for pairing up with a flood light, or as a small single cell spot light. If you are using a light in close quarters, or under 50' or so, I would prefer a reflectored light for the stronger spill. As always YMMV, but this is a good little light, in its niche.

P.S. The tint on mine was warm, and showed a yellowish/golden next to the Nitecore. It was actually a nice color.

bezel

Newly Enlightened
Nice little review..just a couple of thoughts on a couple of your observations:

My experience with the new tailcaps is that the action tends to get smoother and quieter with use - except for the click which has not gotten quieter. I wouldn't be surprised if this clicky seems better after some use. I don't think there is actually any pot metal in the tailcap.

The other was the tailcap scratches. Not sure what kind of metal your E1b actually came up against - but I just wanted to point out that sometimes what looks like scratching is actually a deposit something such as a key leaves on the surface. If it is just a deposit, you should be able to rub it off...

enjoy your light!

bezel

JoeDizzy

Newly Enlightened
I wish Surefire included an F04 beamshaper with everyone of these little guys. Using a shaper you have the best of both worlds; throw and flood. There are $12 and well worth it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I got to try out an E1B today for several minutes at a B&M shop.

Let's see....

Even more slippery than many CPFers said it was. Lens is nearly flush with the bezel. Sometimes you get low mode, when you expect to get high mode. And my favorite, the reversable clip; isn't.

Bezel-down carry is great. Light sits nice and low. Bezel-up is a joke! The light was literally leaning out of my pants pocket, about to fall out. Apparently, the cool looking clip is more of a fashion statement.

Moka

Enlightened
I agree with Monocrom about the dual directional clip, but I believe the clip is great for bezel down carry with the "bezel out" side of the clip being for clipping to my hat...

I love my e1b for everything except the lack of RCR support... The lack of knurling doesn't phase me, not slippery at all but then again being used to my old Inova XO Lack of knurling is a non issue...

Just my $.02 FWIW

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What is RCR support ?

RCR123 cells = rechargeable versions of primary CR123 cells. Primary, such as Surefire brand batteries.

Some single cell lights, especially Surefire models, don't work with rechargeable versions of their primary cells. Other 1xCR123 lights, like a Novatac 120P, will work with RCR123 cells.

lumenal

Enlightened
I agree with what most have said...

Especially that the tailcap action does seem to get smoother and quieter with use.

My E1B has clinked and clunked together with my L1 and U2 occasionally, both having that aggressive Surefire knurling, and there is not any mark on the E1B, or any of them for that matter. Not sure whats up with the OP's...

The clip is designed for a belt or a pocket made from a heavy material - not for your average flimsy shirt pocket. :)

IMO bezel down is the way to carry a light...why on earth do these manufacturers design top-heavy, unsightly bezel-up clips?!

Yeah, I know...what if you don't wear a baseball cap? :nana:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I got to try out an E1B today for several minutes at a B&M shop.

Let's see....

Even more slippery than many CPFers said it was. Lens is nearly flush with the bezel. Sometimes you get low mode, when you expect to get high mode. And my favorite, the reversable clip; isn't.

Bezel-down carry is great. Light sits nice and low. Bezel-up is a joke! The light was literally leaning out of my pants pocket, about to fall out. Apparently, the cool looking clip is more of a fashion statement.

Out of everyone who own's the E1B, your the first one to basically trash it, and you don't even own it... How isn't the clip reversable?

Any Cal.

Enlightened
Interesting replies. I started this thread simply as a chance to voice my opinion over the pros/cons of the light. I like lights only when I think they can do something special, regardless of manufacturer. From all the reviews, I thought the E1B could.

While I like some aspects of the light, it seems like it is nice for others to know what to expect once they plunk down $100 or more for this light. This light has a value in certain applications, but it also has things that to me seem a letdown for it's price range.

I don't want to trash the light, but do think that some will appreciate being able to hear of some less desirable aspects before purchasing the light.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Out of everyone who own's the E1B, your the first one to basically trash it, and you don't even own it... How isn't the clip reversable?

Let's see, first hand experience with the light.... You're right, I don't own it, and never will. I didn't trash it. I gave my honest opinion of it after trying out a working Display model at the B&M shop of an Authorized Surefire Dealer.

Sorry if my other post was not more detailed. Let's try this again....

Clipped to the side pocket of a pair of pants, the E1B rides very low and comfortably. (Bezel-down). Low profile, very easy to draw from a pocket. The clip is supposed to be reversable. I take that to mean that you can carry the light comfortably in the same pants pocket either bezel-up or down.

Bezel-down is fine. Bezel-up resulted in the head literally leaning out of my pocket, at an angle; nearly falling out of my pocket. Upon examing the clip, I saw that you can't push the clip as far down when going for bezel-up carry, as opposed to bezel-down. That's why the clip is not reversable. Bezel-down works great! Bezel-up results in the light leaning off to the side, out of your pocket; nearly falling out of your pocket. If you walk around, instead of standing still, the light will fall out of your pocket.... if carried bezel-up.

I don't consider that to be a reversable pocket clip. Do you?

And actually, I am a bit surprised that I seem to be the only one mentioning this issue. This is a very popular light. A significant number of CPFers own an E1B. I know I can't be the only CPFer who tried carrying an E1B bezel-up instead of just bezel-down.

Any Cal.

Enlightened
the light will fall out of your pocket.... if carried bezel-up.

And actually, I am a bit surprised that I seem to be the only one mentioning this issue.

Read the first post.:whistle:.....:D

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Let's see, first hand experience with the light.... You're right, I don't own it, and never will. I didn't trash it. I gave my honest opinion of it after trying out a working Display model at the B&M shop of an Authorized Surefire Dealer.

Sorry if my other post was not more detailed. Let's try this again....

Clipped to the side pocket of a pair of pants, the E1B rides very low and comfortably. (Bezel-down). Low profile, very easy to draw from a pocket. The clip is supposed to be reversable. I take that to mean that you can carry the light comfortably in the same pants pocket either bezel-up or down.

Bezel-down is fine. Bezel-up resulted in the head literally leaning out of my pocket, at an angle; nearly falling out of my pocket. Upon examing the clip, I saw that you can't push the clip as far down when going for bezel-up carry, as opposed to bezel-down. That's why the clip is not reversable. Bezel-down works great! Bezel-up results in the light leaning off to the side, out of your pocket; nearly falling out of your pocket. If you walk around, instead of standing still, the light will fall out of your pocket.... if carried bezel-up.

And actually, I am a bit surprised that I seem to be the only one mentioning this issue. This is a very popular light. A significant number of CPFers own an E1B. I know I can't be the only CPFer who tried carrying an E1B bezel-up instead of just bezel-down.

So you came to this conclusion within the several minutes of you being at the B&M Shop?

You clipped the E1B to your pocket and walked around the store and no one said anything? Seeing as though I never had a problem carrying the E1B bezel up, which I have done on many many occasions...and seeing as though no one else has spoken up about it, I guess your the minority.

You can say the clip is not reversable until you black and blue in the face, the fact remains that it still is reversable. I guess I was expecting a lil bit more from a seasoned CPFer.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So you came to this conclusion within the several minutes of you being at the B&M Shop?

You clipped the E1B to your pocket and walked around the store and no one said anything? Seeing as though I never had a problem carrying the E1B bezel up, which I have done on many many occasions...and seeing as though no one else has spoken up about it, I guess your the minority.

You can say the clip is not reversable until you black and blue in the face, the fact remains that it still is reversable. I guess I was expecting a lil bit more from a seasoned CPFer.

I examined the light, clipped it several times to my pocket, turned it on and off, gave it a thorough examination. What's your point about how long I examined it? It's a flashlight. Was I supposed to spend several hours with it? Take it on a date? See if it would let me get to second base after taking it out to dinner?

I've been to that B&M shop numerous times. Enough to be known as a Surefire collector. If not by name, than certainly by my appearance. You're 100% right they let me walk around with it, and didn't say anything. They know me, they wanted to make a sale.

I don't mind being the minority. I examined the light first-hand. I'm not going by a picture or something someone else told me about the E1B. You can carry your E1B bezel-up with no problem? I'm honestly not being sarcastic when I say this, but I have no clue how you're able to pull that off. I tried several times. Each time, same result. Light nearly fell out of my pocket.

I stand behind my previous posts. The clip is not reversable. Not if the light ends up leaning out of your pocket to the point that it'll fall out if you walk around.... And I don't need to say it til I'm black & blue in the face. Any CPFer fortunate enough to live close to an Authorized Surefire dealer, should thoroughly examine an E1B before buying; and come to their own conclusions. Regardless of what you or I say about the light.

But I'm going to stick to my first-hand experience, and not to the "facts" as you believe them to be. I love my collection of Surefires. The E1B will not be joining it.

I must say, I expected better of you as well. Oh well, two Surefire related disappointments in less than 24 hours. I guess some days are better than others.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
about the clip, the webpage says it is a 2-way, not reversable.:whistle:

personally, i find a longer runtime on high for the E1L (single stage CREE or 2-stage CREE) more practical if i happen to have just 1 light on hand. it will pair off nicely with another light (another E1B?) with a longer runtime, in situations where i may not know how long i will need the high mode for.

i have not held the light in person so i'll leave some details out. a 2-stage output is good to have. still, my preferance for a longer runtime on high because CR123A primaries are not cheap compared to AAs or AAAs.:whistle:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
about the clip, the webpage says it is a 2-way, not reversable.:whistle:

I'll go out on a limb and say that the one thing SureAddicted and I can agree on is that 2-way and reversable = The same thing. :)

Remenber that old tale about the King's new clothes? The one where the King thinks he's wearing a grand suit. But he's actually naked.

I feel like the one who asked, in a loud voice; "Hey, why is the King naked?" :sigh:

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
I'll go out on a limb and say that the one thing SureAddicted and I can agree on is that 2-way and reversable = The same thing. :)

:confused:

but in use, there is a difference in positioning bezel-up vs bezel-down. it's got to do with the shift in the center of gravity. and there seems to lack a lanyard loop for additional securing of the light in the pocket.:thumbsdow

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monocrom, how many different pockets did you try the E1B in? :) Not all pockets are the same. Although I'm not a big fan of the clip either, but it works well with heavier material, like my polaric PJ pants. :p

Any Cal.

Enlightened
Um, please do not shut this thread down. I believe that it is rather obvious the clip has supporters and detractors. The purpose of the thread was to help any interested in the light, not to have a war in semantics. To all :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Monocrom, how many different pockets did you try the E1B in? :) Not all pockets are the same. Although I'm not a big fan of the clip either, but it works well with heavier material, like my polaric PJ pants. :p

Oh hey, Wade. :wave:

I was wearing a pair of black, dress pants. Just like the LEO in the Surefire promotional vid for the E1B. I was genuinely surprised at the results I got. Tried the light several times, kept getting the same results. Tried pushing the clip further down for bezel-up carry. Took a closer look at the clip, realized it wouldn't go down any further. :(

Last edited: