How can Novatac improve its next light?

yalskey

Enlightened
With almost universal love for the 120P (among the other versions), what would you recommend for Novatac's next light?

Maybe a P7, maybe a 1xAA version, maybe 200+ lumens out the front... you decide.

So, what would you like to see?

maxray

Newly Enlightened
I vote for 1xAA...I believe Novatac is not a big fan of developing this form-factor, but I am not totally sure why...with the raging success of the Nitecore D10, it seems like a solid move.

DArklite

Enlightened
Sapphire lenses, for one, given the up-front cost.
+1 on the AA form factor as well.

A little OT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they the company that bought HDS and it's tooling from Henry and decide not to honor the warranty? From what I understand, Henry is fixing/replacing those lights out-of-pocket over at Ra Lights. I'd like to see Novatac "do the right thing".

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get rid of the bugs. Be real NovaTac, how darn hard can it be to fix the
quirks with an otherwise nice light?

Sold my last 120P and will not own another NovaTac until it's confirmed
by CPF members that NovaTac has stepped up and made it right.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

absolutely right. i got rid of mine, and even though i miss it, its not worth buying again until its better. :popcorn:

shomie911

Enlightened
I bought climberkid's 120P, it's a great light, but I decided to sell it too.

I'm more of a fan of the super simple lights. Lightly press for momentary, click for constant on, no fancy multi-output.

I have other lights for less output: Arc-P, E01, lights for smaller size/medium output: Streamlight Microstream, longer throw: Aspherical mag, and longer battery life at the same output: Terralux 2D Mag.

I'm just going to get a simple high output LED flashlight with decent runtime, that runs on AAs, for the outdoors.

That flashlight seems to be the Fenix TK20.

Anyway, biggest way Novatac can improve it's next light? AA support would be the incredibly important to me.

shomie911

Enlightened
im glad you enjoyed it for the time you had it at least. but i can understand why you moved on.

It's a really nice light but I guess I've come to be accustomed to single mode flashlights.

When I had the Gladius I usually just left it on momentary. I tried the momentary on the 120P but it just isn't the same as the long throw button on the Gladius.

Oh well, you live, you learn.

(BTW I'm still waiting for a AA Gladius. :twothumbs)

redsfairlane

Newly Enlightened
Didn't they at first talk about a 2AA tube in the future? I'm sure that was on their site.

Well, bring on the tube dogonit!

Or perhaps the single aa version would be alright.

Haz

Enlightened
Without Henry from HDS on board, will Novatac be able to improve on this light? These lights are essentially designed by Henry, possibly with some changes requested by Novatac to cater for mass production and costs. As the relationship between Novatac and HDS no longer exists, i'm not too sure if Novatac knows how to improve on this light on their own. Maybe something minor like bezel rings, AA tubes, clips, led is possible, but if it requires reprogramming the software and redesigning circuit, i'm not too sure if that can be accomplished without Henry.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get rid of the bugs. Be real NovaTac, how darn hard can it be to fix the
quirks with an otherwise nice light?

absolutely right. i got rid of mine, and even though i miss it, its not worth buying again until its better. :popcorn:

I'm a little puzzled. The only bug I'd heard of is flicker present in the lowest of settings, and even that is sporadic. What kind of issues did you guys face that made you bail out of your NovaTac 120P's? :confused:

Centropolis

Enlightened
The last time I spoke with someone from Novatac, he said they will release something in the AA form factor next. I have no reason not to believe him.

Improvements? Hmm.....with a AA-based light I am not sure they can push the LEDs any harder.....so I assume any improvements should be made in the form factor. I am guessing that it'll be slightly smaller but not by much because they want to keep the case rather thick.

scottaw

Enlightened
a few simple ideas from a nova lover

1. More efficient, sure make high higher, but then all the lower levels work better as well. 120lm for 2 hours? i'm in

2. Find a way around that spring inside, it's definately the weak point.

3. let the head handle an 18650 or 2x rcr's, just for longer runtime as necessary.

4. Auto detect what battery is being used.

5. Leave everything else alone.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't they at first talk about a 2AA tube in the future? I'm sure that was on their site.

Well, bring on the tube dogonit!

Or perhaps the single aa version would be alright.

You can buy a 2 x AA tube for the Novatac/HDS from Lighthound

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they are going to stick with CR123 format, could they at least make a slimmer light?

I am in favor of a AA light, but it would have to be a lot better than the LF5XT, which although not a Novatac in all respects, has taken some of the Novatacs best features: 1) Beautiful beam with smooth hotspot/spill transition and almost no artifacts 2) Programmable settings 3) Multibattery acceptance. 3) Low battery protection (optional on LiteFlux; mandatory on Novatac)

What LitFlux improved upon is the programmability of the light levels. I find it difficult to get the exact light level I want with the Novatac and KNOW exactly which level I am at, other than the Max and Min levels. With LiteFlux, once you set the level either by log rhythmic steps or by ramping, you get get a readout of that setting as exact percentage of the total output. If for any reason, you need to do a factory reset with either light, it is much easier with NiteFlux to reset your prior levels exactly, which is not the case with Novatac where you must eyeball it since it is almost impossible to count the light steps.
Therefore, I would like to see a new Novatac with this kind of easy reproducible level setting.

It has already been mentioned that Novatac needs to use a brighter emitter, but not at the expense of the beautiful beam it has.