Anyone ever try an SE with Mc Flood reflector?

frogmonk

Newly Enlightened
I am about to put together my DIY McLux's and I want one of them to be flood.

How does a luxeon SE with McFlood reflector compare with an HD or LD with the same reflector in terms of beam quality?

I only have a couple of luxeons to work with. I don't really want to remove a luxeon after I've installed it. There's too much of a chance in screwing up the small leads on the luxeon.

Any comments? Thanks!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Most of the light from a SE is off axis enough that it will be re directed by the McFlood reflector. I don't recall trying a white SE with McFlood but I recently used a red SE in a McFlood and there was a concentrated higher amount of light in a center portion of the beam. I would expect that with a white, you will get a decent flood beam but also have a brighter center portion where more light is concentrated.

Using a SE will preclude you from using an optic as an option with the McLux. With a HD or LD, the optic can always be used instead of the McFlood.

- Don

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don you must be done with your part of the McLux project! it is good to see you around with more regularity! What do you take?

frogmonk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Don!

I have a white 5w SE and a 3x123 holder. I understand the extra flexibility using an HD and LD provides. I've read the threads on the beam preference of most members and most favored flood as being more practical for all around use. I am quite new at this, but in your opinion what would your choice be?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bushman,

Regularity? Prunes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
As to the McLux project, yes the design was finalized some time ago and my only involvement now is in terms of co-funding the DIY parts as well as final QC of these parts at this end. I haven't seen the parts yet but will very soon. Poor Leo is focusing on the assembly of the TK's when he should be sleeping and he sent us DIY components without having the time to visually inspect them himself.

Frogmonk,

I'm not sure what you're asking but since you have the 5W SE and a 3x123 seems like that is what your light will consist of.

If I was starting from scratch, I would prefer, in theory, a HD 5W over the SE. I say this because in a McFlood application I would want the photons to have the most direct path out of the flashlight as possible (efficiency). With a HD much of the light will escape without re direction by the reflector. Some of the off axis light will contact the reflector and some of this will indeed bounce of the reflector and get out. In the case of the SE, the brunt of the light will first contact the reflector and then be redirected. Due to the variation in color and luminous output of individual Luxeons, I would take a bright and white SE over a lower color bin and dimmer HD, any day for a flood application. Without measuring tools, significant variations in output are not that readily apparent to the naked eye. I think you will find you have a bright flood with the combo you have and I hope you enjoy the satisfaction of having built it yourself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don