Got Fenix L2D-Q5 worth getting P3D Q5?

boristhespider

Newly Enlightened
Is it worth getting a P3D when i already have an L2D-Q5. I'd consider it if it gave me more throw. Is the extra lumens any more noticeable (215 vs 180) or should i just go for a TK11?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Is it worth getting a P3D when i already have an L2D-Q5. I'd consider it if it gave me more throw. Is the extra lumens any more noticeable (215 vs 180) or should i just go for a TK11?

I have both L2D and P3D and for me the biggest difference is size, the P3D is much smaller.

HeadCSO

Enlightened

If throw is a priority, get a TK11. The TK11 is quite big though. You may also want to consider Fenix's forthcoming TK20.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P3D is shorter but not significantly brighter than the L2D.
The TK11 has better throw then the P3D.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
While I don't have a 2x CR123 light like the P3D it's been my impression that you would need to be careful about matching battery condition and maybe not running it down completely. Overdischarge has been blamed for a very few instances of serious overheating. Since I'm not looking for the greatest output available I'd rather not have something else to worry about. Besides, I'm cheap and these batteries aren't.

Geoff

alphazeta

Enlightened
Having both, I'd say get something else. The difference in output IS noticeable when you compare them side by side. But in actual use? No, not really.
I also have the TK10 & like that's got quite a different feel to it (as compared to the entire L1D/L2D/P2D/P3D series which I own or have owned at one point) If you don't mind the size, I think the TK series will add more variety to your collection than the P3D.
-AZ

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
P3D - shorter and thicker, better to grip. A bit brighter but considerably less runtime, fumbling around with 2 cells
... dont get it.

2 CR123 lights are the worse alternative to a single 18650 light (same size, brighter, longer runtime)
.. but Fenix makes no useful version of such a light.
Wait till there is a P3D 18650, or get an 18650 light from another maker

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
A P3D is slightly shorter than a L2D, but not shorter enough to make it more pocketable.
A P3D is slightly brighter than a L2D, but nowhere near as bright as a SSC-P7 light.
A P3D throws slightly better than a L2D, but Dereelight DBS and others throws much better.

A year ago the P3D was a must have light. Not anymore.
Even the TK10 is not a must have light. It is just better heatsinked P3D but so much bigger and heavier.

HKJ

Flashaholic
A P3D is slightly shorter than a L2D, but not shorter enough to make it more pocketable.
A P3D is slightly brighter than a L2D, but nowhere near as bright as a SSC-P7 light.
A P3D throws slightly better than a L2D, but Dereelight DBS and others throws much better.

A year ago the P3D was a must have light. Not anymore.
Even the TK10 is not a must have light. It is just better heatsinked P3D but so much bigger and heavier.

I believe that P3D is significant shorter than L2D, but for a pocket I would prefer the LF2X.

Throwers are very much larger than P3D, the TK10 is something in between.

Here are a picture of the different lights:
DSC_1814a.JPG

DSC_1815a.JPG

boristhespider

Newly Enlightened
HKJ, thanks for the pic's - really demonstrates your piont about the size of the reflectors. I'll have to look into Dereelights, not sure if i can get them in the UK without importing from the US and getting stung heavily by the taxman. Also, by the look of that head it might actually be too big for me.

How does the TK11 or 10 compare to a TK20? Does the focussing ability really throw much further, or is just the larger reflector of the TK 10 better for this? Looking at the specs the output of the TK20 is quite a lot lower.

BTW, Yellow....the TK11 is an 18650 compatible flashlight

MSI

Enlightened
P3D is my favorite Fenix, and probably the only one I actually like. Great for carrying in a jacket pocket. I currently use it with PEU's tactical 3xCR123 body so it's now the same length as the L2D. The great advantage with the 3 cell body is that I can now use 2 x 17500 Li-Ion and use CR123 cells as backup. The runtime of this setup is much more than L2D.

Latest posts