Received my Novatac 120P!

Centropolis

Enlightened
I am very very happy with it so far. Nicest beam I have so far. Good transition from hotspot to spill.

One question though, what size o-rings does it use behind the lens and on the battery tube on the tail? Is it same size? I just want to try the GITD behind the lens mod. I also want to replace the o-ring on the tail end.

I would say this is one of my best purchases so far in my flashlight collection.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats! Make sure you stop by the link in my signature to join the rest of us happy owners.

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont know if this will help ..... the O ring behind the lens is the same
size as the O ring for a Aleph19, 19mm

neoseikan

Enlightened
I got 2 pcs of 120P last week.
They are wonderful things.
It's a pity that Henry left Novatac.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say this is one of my best purchases so far in my flashlight collection.
I agree, after many light purchases, the NovaTacs have been the ones I really think were truely worth their high cost. The more lights I try the more I realize just how good these ones are. Have fun programming it the way you like, then enjoy.

Now I just need a NovaTac in 18650 and AA formats. It looks like the RaLights Clicky may soon ship and may shortly there after have an 18650 body. That is what I'm waiting for now.

neoseikan

Enlightened
I am not sure that why HDS & Novatac EDC have similar looking, while Ra lights are much different. Is there any law or business problem?

I agree, after many light purchases, the NovaTacs have been the ones I really think were truely worth their high cost. The more lights I try the more I realize just how good these ones are. Have fun programming it the way you like, then enjoy.

Now I just need a NovaTac in 18650 and AA formats. It looks like the RaLights Clicky may soon ship and may shortly there after have an 18650 body. That is what I'm waiting for now.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure that why HDS & Novatac EDC have similar looking, while Ra lights are much different. Is there any law or business problem?
You would have to ask Henry about that. I suspect there might be some legal issue with 'likeness', but the new RaLights are different also for mechanical reasons as the twisty really addressed the physical design issues with the original design, addressing the bezel and impact shock transmission to the battery. This new design really is probably the most robust flashlight design. If the engineering meets the design goals and can be consistently manufactured, they should have an SF vs. RaLights torture test. I'm sure the RaLights would come out on top. We don't know much about the new switch in the clicky, and that is likely the one component that is the hardest to get right as it is essentially a new design.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC Novatac owns the rights to the HDS designs (hence the reason Novatac was supposed to honour warranties on HDS lights.) Henry states on the Ra site that they no longer have the proper equipment to service HDS EDC models (but he still offers a warranty on original HDS EDC line of lights.)

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Neoseikan,

The reasons the lights looked similar is because they grew from the same branch of the family tree.

We originally decided to modify the old mechanical design and just add on our improvements. However, you can only tweak an old design so far. So after doing a pilot run of a modified mechanical design from the same branch of the family tree, we came to the conclusion that the only way to address certain issues was to go back and plant a new tree - i.e., do a clean sheet design. That clean sheet design is the basic design you see in the Ra Twisty and Ra Clicky. We think it is a much better starting point for growing the new family tree.

We still have the mechanical parts from the pilot run and will be outfitting them with Ra Clicky electronics and software for those collectors who want one.

Sorry to be so far off topic - I just wanted to answer the questions. Please return to the original topic.

Henry.

Centropolis

Enlightened
Dont know if this will help ..... the O ring behind the lens is the same
size as the O ring for a Aleph19, 19mm

Thanks for the info. It's weird but I cannot find any 19mm GITD o-rings on DX. I would have to look somewhere else.

BTW, is the o-ring on the body near the tail end same size 19mm??

Last edited: