To drill... or not to drill....

sylathnie

Enlightened
I'm attempting to fit a few experimental bulbs within my FM2.5" throw master but the bulb hole is too small. What would be the best and cleanest way to enlarge the hole?
My best guess was to go buy a nice brand new bit of the proper size and go at it (slowly), deburr the hole and give it a test.

Anyone else done this? :poke:

Scattergun

Enlightened
I don´t know about this particular reflector, but I often end up using a sharp knife with a high quality blade (I often use my Kershaw Mini Cyclone Ti-ZDP189. Just carving thin slices out of the reflectoropening. That way they don´t fall into the reflector.

sylathnie

Enlightened
Any particular things I should worry about when drilling into the back of a reflector? I need to enlarge the hole by a significant amount so I don't think a knife is going to cut it.

ambientmind

Enlightened
I too have used unibits with good success. The biggest thing to keep in mind is to go slow and clean the shavings off as often as possible. If they build up, they can scratch the surface of the reflector. Dont use a drill bit as it will probably catch and possibly tear the hole open rather than cut nicely through it. Good luck!

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought this set of Step Drills, they are great for all holes!
10502_lg.jpg

Here is a link

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I opened up the hole of the throwmaster to fit a P7 led using stepdrill bit, just go very slow and be careful when you drill thru because the bit will want to bite into the reflector, dont apply too much force and try to have the bit completely perpendicular to the hole.

HTH
AlexGT
f_p7m_7247ebb.jpg

Last edited:

DocD

Enlightened
Try a hand tapered reamer find one that's close to the hole size, and place it in a drill and slowly ream the hole to the size you need, not to fast and the reamer won't snag or cut into your reflector.
cheers DocD

evilc66

Enlightened
If you are going to buy a reamer, go to a hobby shop that deals with RC cars for one. They have ones that are used for punching holes in the body shells that are much sharper than your typical multi fluted reamer you buy from a hardware store.