Newbie: Help? NDI vs D10 vs LF5XT vs RA Twisty

jlyrgr

Newly Enlightened
I am new to the flashlight world, but have been learning a lot lately.

Looking to buy a new EDC light and prefer the AA platform. Would anyone be able to give me some pointers . things to consider as far as eciding between these lights. Here are a couple questions that I have:

1.) I know the RA Twisty id different battery platform and price level... but I would spring for it if it really was THAT superior.

2.) Woudlreally likea pocket clip, and none of these have them... can I add one?

3.) Is the Novatac light one I should consider? (has clip...)

4.) Are they all waterproof?

Is there a light that I am overlooking?

Thank you in advance for your help!

JDP

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Hi there jlyrgr

I own all of the lights in your title, and believe me it's difficult to pick a winner from them.

Personally, the Ra is a little big for EDC, but it's absolutely nuclear bomb proof, waterproof, looks great, has a flawless beam, great 3 mode (programmable) UI and a widely acknowledged genius designer (Henry Schneiker) who has been responsible for a great many torch innovations. Get one! Alternatively wait a few more weeks for the Clicky version, which should be all that the Novatac is, and more...

If you prefer AA for EDC, as I do, then it's probably a tossup between the LF5XT and the D10. Both are fantastic and innovative AA lights, it's down to whether you prefer the extreme UI flexibiity and perfect beam of the LF5XT, or the beautiful design and simple UI of the D10. You can get both for the price of a single Ra, so why don't you? I happily EDC either. BTW, they are more water resistant than waterproof, I wouldn't dive with them.

Be sure to read some of the many CPF threads extolling the pros and cons of each. Have fun.

Last edited:

jlyrgr

Newly Enlightened
Excellent advise! How about toughness as far as the D10 and the LF5XT? How vulnerable are the electronics in these lights to drops / shock? I don;t see this normally addressed in the reviews. In addition, what about waterproofness? When a manufacturer says "water resistant" what does that mean? (This light will see a lot of mountain biking, hiking, crawling under jeeps, etc!)

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent advise! How about toughness as far as the D10 and the LF5XT? How vulnerable are the electronics in these lights to drops / shock? I don;t see this normally addressed in the reviews. In addition, what about waterproofness? When a manufacturer says "water resistant" what does that mean? (This light will see a lot of mountain biking, hiking, crawling under jeeps, etc!)

You are right manufactures generally don't publish drop tests, if they do them. However, with regard to the LF5XT resistance to drops and physical shock was addressed by the manufacturer when complaints arose about the light easily shutting down on tail-end impact. The problem was addressed by LightFux and the problem was fixed. On the distributer's website: EliteLED.com, there is a link to videos showing the fixed version being dropped from several feet onto a hard surface, along with videos forcefully striking the light against a hard surface. Afterwards the demonstrator runs the light through all its functions to show it working well. It would be difficult in most cases for a manufacturer to make claims of durability since such claims may imply a warranty against possible abuse that may not always be apparent.

In regards to waterproofness, sometimes there are specs on the light specifying some degree of water resistance. Most lights will resist rain but are not meant for long term submersion.

superflytnt

Enlightened
Hello,
I only own (from the lights you listed) the D10 but I've researched the rest until my eyes bled! :eek:oo:
I can tell you that the RA twisty is more than likely the outright toughest light in that group. Depending on what you're using it for, though, any of them should be plenty durable for EDC use. My own D10 http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1064in9.jpg
has seen alot of action in it's short life (including many drops and many dunkings) and has proven itself worthy in my eyes. If you prefer the AA format (and remember that you can use 14500 LiION cells in the D10) and you don't need/want the uber-programmable UI of the LF5XT or the fragile switch (?) of the NDI then I think you'll like the D10 a whole lot!! :twothumbs

Last edited:

dixemon

Enlightened
If you want waterproof and extreme reliability you will probably have to pick up a RA twisty/clicky. I do have a D10 and its seems pretty durable, However I have my doubts about waterproofness and whether or not it will take a lifetime of abuse. For instance, I throw my twisty in the 12ft deep end of the pool while on and my kids dive for it. I would never do that with the D10. The durability of the RA lights makes me want to use it as a tool rather than a light Im trying to guard from dings and such. I guess it depends on how much your willing to spend, They are all good lights, just with different levels of reliability/ durability. Good luck

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I only own (from the lights you listed) the D10 but I've researched the rest until my eyes bled! :eek:oo:
I can tell you that the RA twisty is more than likely the outright toughest light in that group. Depending on what you're using it for, though, any of them should be plenty durable for EDC use. My own D10 http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1064in9.jpg
has seen alot of action in it's short life (including many drops and many dunkings) and has proven itself worthy in my eyes. If you prefer the AA format (and remember that you can use 14500 LiION cells in the D10) and you don't need/want the uber-programmable UI of the LF5XT or the fragile switch (?) of the NDI then I think you'll like the D10 a whole lot!! :twothumbs
My D10 won't work with 14500's.:confused: They seem to be to long?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the price of a RA Twisty, I'd rather own a couple D10s or a D10 and NDi or a D10 and LF5XT as gadgetnerd suggets.

Having a back up light with you as you do things outdoors, along with a spare battery in it, is never a bad idea. No matter how great your primary light is, if it gets lost, damaged due to an accident, or battery dies, it's always nice to have a back up.

If you can afford a RA Twisty + one of the other lights, even better.

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
And contrary to what some believe you can one hand twist the Ra Twisty. My T120 was and my T100 is a very smooth twisting unit.
You just have to use the grease supplied with the spare O-ring and use it sparingly.

superflytnt

Enlightened
My D10 won't work with 14500's.:confused: They seem to be to long?

Bummer. :( What kind did you try? I'm using Trustfire brand from "extremedeal" and they work just fine in my D10. They're pretty inexpensive as well but I still get around 1:20 before the cells protection kicks in and then it gets dark REAL quick! :candle:

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
Bummer. :( What kind did you try? I'm using Trustfire brand from "extremedeal" and they work just fine in my D10. They're pretty inexpensive as well but I still get around 1:20 before the cells protection kicks in and then it gets dark REAL quick! :candle:
I have 2 TrustFire 14500 and they are to long. The piston has almost no forward movement with these cells installed.....:shakehead
The light works great with my Eneloop's.:)

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you know the Ra-Twisty and NovaTac lights are CR123 platform. I'm not that thrilled with the D10, but many are so that is likely a candidate and I can't speak about the LiteFlux.

I don't have a Twisty yet, but if the size and battery are not a problem the NovaTac is a fantastic EDC.

Other options in the 1AA format:

1. Photon Proton Pro, really great 1AA light for EDC as it is quite slim and has a good interface with a completely variable brightness. A little expensive, but look for sales.

2. JetBeam CL-E v2 - not may favorite because of how the memory works, but a pretty nice light. JetBeam however has had some issues I'm sure you've heard of this light.

3. Fenix is always a good choice, but not too exciting in the 1AA format. Great lights though. Excellent reference point for electronics and runtime.

I've not been keeping up with the latest lights for a while, but it seems there is not too much exciting right now in the 1AA format. The Proton or the D10 would likely be my pick for a 1AA EDC.

superflytnt

Enlightened
I have 2 TrustFire 14500 and they are to long. The piston has almost no forward movement with these cells installed.....:shakehead
The light works great with my Eneloop's.:)

Weird. Do you have the head twisted all the way down? I only twist mine about 1/4" past where it turns on.

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
Weird. Do you have the head twisted all the way down? I only twist mine about 1/4" past where it turns on.
I have tried every configuration I could think of and no go. It comes on full power and I cant make it change from there no matter how I screw it together...