UI Thought

VirtualMe

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to all this, but I had a thought about a UI I haven't seen. Maybe it exists, I don't know.

What about a flashlight with a ring that allows truly variable output? Similar to a temperature knob on an oven. Dead simple, always remembers the last setting, change it to whatever you want before you turn the light on, have a click after max for strobe or whatever, and maybe a lock so it can't be turned. Does this type of thing exist on any lights?

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak Led solutions first responder.

Also the fatman driver will allow you to wire up a pointometer.

Blackhawk Gladius and the Insight Typhoon have this style of interface

Last edited:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dosun's R5 and R6 have a dial that you turn to select different levels, it even has little pictures to tell you what you have selected like you do on your oven

here

VirtualMe

Newly Enlightened
Glad to see they are out there. Would it cost more to create a light with a ring on it? Is that why there are only a few and they are so expensive? That Surefire U2 looks real nice, but not at $280!! Although I guess I'm not really in their market.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to see they are out there. Would it cost more to create a light with a ring on it? Is that why there are only a few and they are so expensive?
Making that ring durable, reliable, resistant to water and debris, etc isn't trivial. Variably brightness is one of the trendy features for lights right now, so chances are there will be lots of other implementations in the near future.

Most of the lights listed here don't actually offer an analog-like ring or knob for continuously variably brightness that you described in your first post. The only current commercial lights I can think of that offer that type of interface are the Surefire Titan and the Gatlight. As RyanA mentioned, a couple of the available driver boards support potentiometers, so there have been some custom builds with brightness knobs - look for builds by members Icarus and LED Zeppelin. And no, none of the available solutions are inexpensive (currently).

And IMO, continuously variably brightness is a feature that demos well, but is no more useful in the field that stepped variably brightness. Ease of transition from one level to another is more important, and a ring or knob can be clumsy or difficult to operate one handed.