Coleman 4 x Cree Lantern

DaveG

Enlightened
Looks good,I like the retro-style of it,like my 30yr old gas model.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I have two Coleman CREE lights, the 530 lumen LED spotlight and the 115 lumen LED flashlight. I like their lights because their beams look like daylight color (nicest color LED I have ever seen) and they have very bright spill. So this lantern looks like it might be a very nice light.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why they chose to use 4 leds instead of the new cree 4 die led.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
4 LEDs makes heat management easier, the 4 die cree is not out yet, and separate LEDs will be able to be ran cooler spread apart so efficiency goes up.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd hope that those LEDs are warm-white.
Maybe a switch to choose 2x warm-white or 2x neutral-white, or both.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe they are warm white; I don't think they would get the claimed lumen output if they were:

580 claimed lumens / four LEDs = 145 lumens each

I would *love* to see it in 5A Q3...*crosses fingers*...

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's still on backorder. I called Coleman and the rep told me it would be backordered until the middle of May. :mecry:

I'd hope that those LEDs are warm-white.
Maybe a switch to choose 2x warm-white or 2x neutral-white, or both.

I'm almost positive that it won't use warm-white LEDs. I have the 2x Cree version of this same lantern, and it uses regular Crees. My lantern is the exact same thing as this, except it only has 2 LEDs and the maximum brightness is 390 lumens instead of 580. Here is a video review for anyone who cares:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JHa7zL2Ig8

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, it really isn't a lantern if it doesn't emit warm-white light.

I don't know about that. Fluorescent lanterns have been popular for years, and they emit cool light.
Honestly, the beam of my dual LED lantern is damn near perfect. I've never given the color temperature any thought one way or another.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's still on backorder. I called Coleman and the rep told me it would be backordered until the middle of May. :mecry:

I'm almost positive that it won't use warm-white LEDs. I have the 2x Cree version of this same lantern, and it uses regular Crees. My lantern is the exact same thing as this, except it only has 2 LEDs and the maximum brightness is 390 lumens instead of 580. Here is a video review for anyone who cares:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JHa7zL2Ig8
Nice review. Thanks!

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about that. Fluorescent lanterns have been popular for years, and they emit cool light.
Honestly, the beam of my dual LED lantern is damn near perfect. I've never given the color temperature any thought one way or another.

True about fluorescent lanterns. I could see that as an area light, but not necessarily an outdoors light.
But I am thinking about something that has to deal with bugs, lots of flying bugs. But with no CO2, that is something that won't be attracting mosquitos.

AlexLED

Enlightened
Yeah, looks very good !

I have been searching for such a light for a while. (As flashaholic, after fuzzing around with a propane latern during my last camping trip.)

Actually, I would prefer a 12V SLA battery, which would be easier to re-charge in car during daytime. (Of course, only from a non-flashaholic POV. ;) ) But I would guess, one could mod that quite easily.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
adirondackdestroyer, did you do that review? It is very, very nice!

Yep. Thanks for the kind words. I put it up on Youtube to show my brother. I had a longer more in depth review going, but for some reason the camera turned off (the batteries weren't dead). The second time through I just wanted to get to the point and do a quick one. When I get the 4x Cree lantern in I'm going to put up a more detailed review of all of my lanterns compared to each other.

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Ok,...

I guess I'm in the right thread now :) :eek:

Now Colemans site doesn't have the "Add to Cart" option on the Lantern,...or the price anymore,...OR the info that stated they would be receiving them in stock on May 15th...

So I emailed them once again to try and order one... and here's the response...

I have checked on the lantern, it is not for sale at this time. They took it off the website because there is no stock. I am sorry we will not be able to place an order for this model.

So,... that's all I know at this point....

:(

Rick