Keep these batteries charged / fresh in your EDC

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found myself in situations where I needed lite and had one with half-discharged NiMHs or half-depleted alkaline cells. The brightness was somewhat affected with NiMHs and definitely with alkalines.

But the main thing is run time. It's nice to have a margin of more than you need than less and worrying it about going out on you.

Kind of obvious. Carrying spares is not always possible/desirable.

I think I will now swap cells before they are totally dead and or ensure a fresh set is readily available.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kind of obvious. Carrying spares is not always possible/desirable.

I'm not sure I agree with this statement. I think it's always desirable to have back ups if it's mission critical. And the lights are so small these days, carrying extra batteries or lights should be very easy to do.

scottaw

Enlightened
You just have to find a battery carrier that fits your needs, i have a tiny plastic case for 1xrcr123 and it takes up no pocket space whatsoever.

Big Bad

Newly Enlightened
I don't keep a spare battery on me, but I've got spares in my house, my car, the wife's car and at work. Oh, and another light in each car and lots more back at the house as well. Both the wife and I EDC, so we have two Fenix P2D CR most of the time anyway, so one is bound to work. Guess I'm still a Boy Scout.

cl0123

Enlightened
I think I will now swap cells before they are totally dead and or ensure a fresh set is readily available.

Yes, and besides, current cell technologies do not require you to always fully discharge your cells before recharging. Boy, does anyone remember the good ol' nickel cadmium days?

I belong to the group that may not always carry a spare cells on me but have plenty of them stashed away in car/office/etc strategically. I just schedule myself to refresh those cells periodically.

Hmm, perhaps I should pick up a keyring light so that I have a second light as back up?

With Aloha,

Clarence

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
I have, from time to time, carried spares in a horizontal cel phone carrier such as this one:

hotlinked picture removed

I was able to carry multiple batteries on me, and use the same holder for carrying spare speedstrips for a .38 snubnose revolver. Sizewise, it works for the multiple battery sizes that are seen today. It wears well on my belt and doesn't take up room in my pocket like a SF Spares Carrier would, and it looks like a cel phone case on my belt, not an awkward battery carrier.

And of course, spares are always in my truck. Can never have too many batteries around.

Last edited by a moderator:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
My spares carrier is one or more lights.:) Also, I carry spare 123's in one (or two) 88 cent plastic matches cases from Wally-World. They are orange or green and fit two cells to a case. Also, I would not trust alkaline or especially Ni-Mh for any length of storage because of their high self-discharge rate (except Eneloops cells, different story there). I only trust primary 123 cells first and Li-Ion rechargeables second. I also check the voltages of any lights with Li-Ions in them when I think about it or can't remember the last time I checked.

Last edited:

JJV

Newly Enlightened
My spares carrier is one or more lights.:) Also, I carry spare 123's in one (or two) 88 cent plastic matches cases from Wally-World. They are orange or green and fit two cells to a case. Also, I would not trust alkaline or especially Ni-Mh for any length of storage because of their high self-discharge rate (except Eneloops cells, different story there). I only trust primary 123 cells first and Li-Ion rechargeables second. I also check the voltages of any lights with Li-Ions in them when I think about it or can't remember the last time I checked.

Dumb question-when you store those batteries in the match cases, do you have to keep them separated by a little piece of cardboard or something?

Thanks.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep 4 spare cells with me most of the time. When I'm really slimmed down (aka only 3 lights on me :p) I go with 2. I haven't found a situation yet where I couldn't take 2 AAs and a light for them, including swimming.

With my spare eneloops I just make sure I cycle them every 3 months. So thanks to LSD technology I haven't had much hassle with keeping spares ready. With the crazy great AA lights that are available now I'm even starting to break my addiction to flashahol. :crazy:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always carry 2x AAA Lithium energizer batteries and 4x AAA alkaline energizer batteries. Both sets of cells are rapped in a small Ziploc bag, folded up and then duck taped sealed. The lithiums are in a separated bag then the alkalines.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're carrying the D10 or the like, these cases work nice. I got them from Thomas-Distributing. .047¢, I think.

JJV

Newly Enlightened
Help me learn from this. Why would you need something in between?
I carry spare 123's in a matchstick holder.

I'm not sure I am right about this, but keeping something in between the batteries means no connection, which means no current draw. Lessens the chance (however slight) of them venting or draining.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, for sure. :ohgeez:

scottaw

Enlightened
AFAIK, there's only current draw when you're connecting the pos and neg ends, should be just fine stacked in a carrier. But never hurts to have some extra insurance.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I like to just carry multiple lights- why carry spare batteries, when you can carry spare lights? eh?

I like to have 1 or 2 heavy hitters, and 1 or 2 that have good runtime. If I'm going into a critical situation, I load up spare cells and even more lights.

Eric